Referees: Ed Corbett, Jeffrey Anderson, Nathan Farrell show | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Referees: Ed Corbett, Jeffrey Anderson, Nathan Farrell show

The NBA used to have a horrible officiating problem, where their game had devolved into scrums that made the games ugly to watch. They adjusted the rules to clean things up and held the refs accountable, and things changed for the better.

It is a lot harder to do that in college basketball, where there are thousands of refs across all levels, most working other jobs. Stinks that there is such variance, due to them being unaccountable.

It would be great for the NCAA to do something like that, but you have to remember this is just amateur athletics and there isn't enough money to...oh wait.

i'm fine pointing out the officials when they're horrendous or biased. but blaming them simply every time you play lousy is the easy out.and it happens every game here .
i listened tonite. but realize you are watching with a bias you can't control. 22/23 fouls.
so much easier to place the blame elsewhere when you yourself are the root cause. own it.

Do you deny that one bad call can change the outcome of a game?

I know a few college basketball referees pretty well, and speak with one on a pretty regular basis. He mostly handles mid-major leagues like the A-10 now, but does a fair amount of regional games in the MAAC, Patriot, etc. He also occasionally gets power 5 level teams. I asked him what the most difficult level to ref is. I assumed he'd say the power 5, since the players are bigger, stronger, faster, so the game moves quicker.

He said that the Power 5 games are easy, as the play is generally really good. Patriot and Ivy were the easiest. The pace of the game is slower so that allows for an easier game. He said the A-10 level games are the hardest. He said that the athletic level of the players is pretty comparable to the power 5, so there is lots of speed and physicality to deal with. But the quality of the basketball is worse, making officiating much more difficult.

Not making excuses for the refs, but i can imagine this and the Buffalo games were tough games to call. The play was putrid, and the kids were really going at it hard all game. I think it was during the Buffalo game, one of the announcers said he had never seen so many kids on the floor or jump balls.

Last edited:
The tip in at the end was offensive goaltending. It was right in front of me. We got that call.

If we had an offense and lost then we could complain about those awful refs.

That brings to mind...isn’t that legal in the Olympics?

It’s just weird to me that there are different versions of the same sport. With basketball becoming a global game, I wish they’d have the same rules and enforce them the same way across the board.

Also, thought Battle was fouled on numerous drives, especially the potential game winner. Weird that arguably less than that level of contact results in a charge on Brissett, but nothing on the Bonnies defender bodying our guy on a potential game winning shot.

finally saw a real replay of the last shot and they did screw up the timing on that call. the bonnie kid was out of bounds before touching the ball so the clock stops on the touch not the landing

Do you deny that one bad call can change the outcome of a game?
Sure but you can't ignore the one before that which went our way and set up the play people want to complain about. Or the 20 non-calls in the five minutes before that or the fouls committed in the 75% of the action that no one is watching. Don't forget the calls against them we take for granted without looking more closely at what really happened (unlike their fans who probably looked at them in detail and know that they were bad calls).

Picking a few calls to complain about is misguided.

Sure but you can't ignore the one before that which went our way and set up the play people want to complain about. Or the 20 non-calls in the five minutes before that or the fouls committed in the 75% of the action that no one is watching. Don't forget the calls against them we take for granted without looking more closely at what really happened (unlike their fans who probably looked at them in detail and know that they were bad calls).

Picking a few calls to complain about is misguided.

While I mostly agree with you I feel like calls in the last minute, especially on the last possession are subject to more scrutiny. I can see why one would argue that calls should be consistent. Period. However, I hate a referee deciding the outcome of a game on a call that could go either way. I prefer they just let them play unless somebody gets mugged.

While I mostly agree with you I feel like calls in the last minute, especially on the last possession are subject to more scrutiny. I can see why one would argue that calls should be consistent. Period. However, I hate a referee deciding the outcome of a game on a call that could go either way. I prefer they just let them play unless somebody gets mugged.
Remember OB's shot at the end of regulation against Georgetown? I like it when they let them play at the end of the game unless it's our guy that got fouled.

I agree that calling a charge at the end of a game when (1) the charge was close and (2) it was drawn by a secondary defender is criminal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom