Referees have been poor | Syracusefan.com

Referees have been poor

SUGumbo

Walk On
So I've been lurking for a while...42 year old went to Liverpool Highschool and finally decided to join. Syracuse fan for life and attend or watch football, basketball and lacrosse.

Just wanted to say that I long for the days of Big East referees. We may have had some poorly officiated games in the big east but it all evened out in the end. It was cyclical and we would get calls at home. In the ACC, we have rarely been the beneficiary of calls. Am I imagining this or is there bias against us?

I doubt there is a bias. You probably notice more because we are in a cycle when we have lost more games than normal. You tend to notice and remember the bad calls when you lose. Just human nature.

What jncuse posted is probably pretty accurate but, as a whole, CBB is about as poorly officiated as it gets for a major revenue sport.

I’m blown away everytime I watch at how bad it is. And I never really thought about it until it was pointed out here that these are guys doing this part time. Invest in real, full time, professional referees and training and fix it. It will make the games so much better.

I doubt there is a bias. You probably notice more because we are in a cycle when we have lost more games than normal. You tend to notice and remember the bad calls when you lose. Just human nature.
You are probably correct but I even timed the 10 second calls recording game in dvr. First was about 7, second one just under 8.5 seconds. There may not be bias but it seems they were swayed by the crowd a little. That one referee with the slicked hair, Ease is usually really good

You are probably correct but I even timed the 10 second calls recording game in dvr. First was about 7, second one just under 8.5 seconds. There may not be bias but it seems they were swayed by the crowd a little. That one referee with the slicked hair, Ease is usually really good
I don't have DVR & can't replay the game but I'd be interested to look at how much time came off the TV scoreboard shot clock on those, assuming it was started on time.

JB doesn't coach for the charge, and we play a lot of teams that do. That ND- UNC call was nonsense. And we are usually on the wrong end of those.

Sports refs stink.

JB doesn't coach for the charge, and we play a lot of teams that do. That ND- UNC call was nonsense. And we are usually on the wrong end of those.

Sports refs stink.

I honestly think I will have a hard time rooting for Cuse the same way if our future coach is one of those clowns who coaches for the charge. It’s just such disgusting basketball to me. It seriously would affect my fandom.

Last edited:
It’s insane. I don’t get it.

If I was a ref I would NEVER call charges just to even it out. Sick of that BS b-ball.

It’s ruining college basketball for me. The fact that the dumbass announcers were saying that the block call on the Moyer fast break was a close one shows how brainwashed ppl are.

The sport is awful to watch because sliding up under a player attacking the basket, standing still and clasping your hands together is rewarded. It’s not fun to watch. I hate it.

It’s ruining college basketball for me. The fact that the dumbass announcers were saying that the block call on the Moyer fast break was a close one shows how brainwashed ppl are.

The sport is awful to watch because sliding up under a player attacking the basket, standing still and clasping your hands together is rewarded. It’s not fun to watch. I hate it.

Yup. And agreed with people being brainwashed. It’s crazy to me how many people have no idea on that one.

I argued with a high school/college (not D-1) referee over the Brissett charge at a Christmas party a few days after the Bonnies game. He insisted it was a charge. I insisted it wasn’t and that the charge call is way overdone and is ruining college hoops.

I blame Shane Battier &, to a greater extent, Dickie V for climaxing every time he drew one.

I honestly think I will have a hard time rooting for Cuse he same way if our future coach is one of those clowns who coaches for the charge. It’s just such disgusting basketball to me. It seriously would affect my fandom.

I agree. And that FSU kid hurst his head on one of those, at some point something bad is going to happen.

I blame Shane Battier &, to a greater extent, Dickie V for climaxing every time he drew one.

Yup. That is when it got out of control. And because of all of what you just said, I hated those Duke teams as much as I’ve ever hated any sports teams. Was so mad that Arizona(who I thought had the talent to win) faded like that in that 2001 title game.

Yup.

If you think about it, as a defender, in college basketball you have a better chance of having a call go your way by running up under someone and keeping your hands down and giving the illusion that your stationary rather than leaping, hands up, making a play on the basketball.

It’s an outrage.

I agree. And that FSU kid hurst his head on one of those, at some point something bad is going to happen.

Yup. It’s a dangerous, stupid, and completely unathletic play. I am baffled at how it became a thing. Just play defense. If the offense legit runs you over or plows through you, it’s pretty obvious and will be called. Otherwise...be an athlete.

Yup. It’s a dangerous, stupid, and completely unathletic play. I am baffled at how it became a thing. Just play defense. If the offense legit runs you over or plows through you, it’s pretty obvious and will be called. Otherwise...be an athlete.
Can you imagine the nba with that shizzle?

It doesn't matter what you counted, 20 sec were left on the shot clock each time. It's the easiest call the refs have in any game. It's not arbitrary at all

That one fsu guard's head snapped back and slammed the court when he tried to draw one towards the end of the game. I'm surprised he didn't have a concussion. The charge call is up there with the stupidest rules in all of sports. Like you I've always wondered how it came about. The logic behind it is anti athletic

It doesn't matter what you counted, 20 sec were left on the shot clock each time. It's the easiest call the refs have in any game. It's not arbitrary at all
Interesting. A poster above said they timed it. Are we talking about a different meter than seconds? Doesn't the count start when the ball is inbounded or before?

Interesting. A poster above said they timed it. Are we talking about a different meter than seconds? Doesn't the count start when the ball is inbounded or before?
The count starts when the ball is inbounded, and so should the shot clock. Unless the shot clock started early there's not really an argument that it shouldn't have been a 10 sec call, because I clearly remember there being 20 sec left when they blew the whistle

Invest in real, full time, professional referees and training and fix it. It will make the games so much better.

I don't think it can happen. Just way too many teams playing too many games. The shear number of referees needed to handle all of the games being played prevents you from having great refereeing.

In addition, we are not a top 25 team this year and haven't been the last few, so I suspect we aren't getting the best of the best assigned to do our games.

The count starts when the ball is inbounded, and so should the shot clock. Unless the shot clock started early there's not really an argument that it shouldn't have been a 10 sec call, because I clearly remember there being 20 sec left when they blew the whistle

Thanks. That's what I thought. The OP said he time it and they did seem short. I don't have a dvr to check. I'd be interested to know if in fact there was a discrepancy on both or either call i.e. Clock, clock operator,

Gumbo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom