Refs and dakich= osu through and through | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Refs and dakich= osu through and through

I really enjoyed & was quite entertained how literally right before the game started, while all the players were at half court getting ready, Dakich, gave such a fine -in person- demonstration from the foul line how to attack/beat the Syracuse zone. Since this rather remarkable demonstration was going on right in front of the SU bench, I bet JB was taking notes for sure. ;):rolleyes:

Anyone else catch dakich speaking to the ref away from the mic saying that an OSU guy was hit in the face? The ref said, the "that's why we called a foul"

Flat out lobbying for a flagrant call directly to the ref. He was very bad tonight.

I remember seeing a game a while back. I couldn't even remember if it was football or basketball. But the commentators mics did not work. So they showed the game with no commentators and all crowd noise. It was great.

I'm usually OK with Dakich or at least more OK with him than most on the board.

Thought he was really bad tonight and Ravech was totally out of his depth.

I'm obsessed with Dakich's bald spot. What is going on there?

He was totally cool and fair. I don’t get it! The only thing he messed up (admittedly so) was the “Dolezaj” butchering. He totally called the Chukwu goaltend and no foul.

Ravech was bad. The reason we went zone is because of Sims and Cipolla?? Lol.
Ravech's set-up before tipoff was bad. He said JB was in his 38th season, as the screen shows 43. Said JB had had only one losing season, and we all know SU hasn't had a losing season since 1970-71.

On the other hand--he did have the zone story correct. During the FF year of '96, Boeheim was asked about the speed/quickness of his backcourt (Sims and Cipolla, backed up by freshman Janulis). He said he had the slowest guards since he became head coach, thus the exclusive use of the zone. The success that year probably convinced him to stick with the zone. Before that season, we had played lots of man, as mentioned by Matt Roe in his color commentary last week.

Last edited:
Ravech's set-up before tipoff was bad. He said JB was in his 38th season, as the screen shows 43. Said JB had had only one losing season, and we all know SU hasn't had a losing season since 1970-71.

On the other had--he did have the zone story correct. During the FF year of '96, Boeheim was asked about the speed/quickness of his backcourt (Sims and Cipolla, backed up by freshman Janulis). He said he had the slowest guards since he became head coach, thus the exclusive use of the zone. The success that year probably convinced him to stick with the zone. Before that season, we had played lots of man, as mentioned by Matt Roe in his color commentary last week.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. I guess he doesn’t mind some of these slower plodding guards if he can hide them in the zone.

Acording to Dakick, OSU could do no wrong, had a terrific offensive plan and played good D. And SU didn't do anything...except win.

I didn’t get that from him it at all. He called us out when needed to be. He talked about some of the bad calls. He gave props too when need be. I mean these analysts are in a tough spot when doing our games. We do NOTHING on offense but drive occasionally, stall, and/or launch hope for the best.

Mr. Ravech wasn't much better either. Me thinks he went to the Len Elmore of announcing the way he butchered Marek Dolezaj name over and over.

True. They also regularly butchered Sidibe’s name. It should be pretty easy for them to find out how to pronounce the players’ names.

I didn’t get that from him it at all. He called us out when needed to be. He talked about some of the bad calls. He gave props too when need be. I mean these analysts are in a tough spot when doing our games. We do NOTHING on offense but drive occasionally, stall, and/or launch hope for the best.
Stellar analysis there, Sobe. I don’t think you actually watch our games sometimes. Yes, we do not run a motion offense or tons of diff sets. But we got much better ball movement and spacing and screening action this game, especially in the 2nd half. It’s still a work in progress but it’s not “all iso,” as you love to repeat ad nauseum.

Turn the sound off. Much better...

You also can listen to the SU broadcast on the TuneIn app. Since the TuneIn broadcast is a few seconds behind the TV broadcast, you have to pause the TV broadcast to sync it up with TuneIn.

Stellar analysis there, Sobe. I don’t think you actually watch our games sometimes. Yes, we do not run a motion offense or tons of diff sets. But we got much better ball movement and spacing and screening action this game, especially in the 2nd half. It’s still a work in progress but it’s not “all iso,” as you love to repeat ad nauseum.

Right back atcha. Of course we spread them out. How many times did we just pound the rock and stand around seemingly waiting to drive and do anything positive. How many times did we launch without any movement. A lot. Lots of east-west too. Believe me, I’m happy to get the win. But it’s 3 on 5 on offense with the Centers playing and when the PG doesn’t do anything. We just gotta hope the jumpers and higher degree of difficulty shots will keep falling. Keep getting to the line also. And it IS all ISO based. The root of it. Fran F and others say it “ad nauseum” also.

Last edited:

In jbs presser he was very happy with the ball movement and spacing during the second half in particular.

In jbs presser he was very happy with the ball movement and spacing during the second half in particular.

It definitely was better. No question. It’s going to be live and die by jumpers though. Nothing will be easy and easy baskets will be tough to come by, IMO. This seems honest and easy to deduce/diagnose but sure, I’m a bad fan, lol.

It definitely was better. No question. It’s going to be live and die by jumpers though. Nothing will be easy and easy baskets will be tough to come by, IMO. This seems honest and easy to deduce/diagnose but sure, I’m a bad fan, lol.
like that jumper when Carey hit a cutting Brissett for a layup kind of jumper?

like that jumper when Carey hit a cutting Brissett for a layup kind of jumper?

Posted about that in another thread. Great play. It was the only drive and dish for an easy bucket the whole game, I believe.

I know many don't like him, but I actually generally enjoy Dakich - and I don't think he was at all pro osu tonight

He was fine. He gets a little goofier now but he tells it like it is.

Dakich son graduated from OSU. He’s a homer hardcore.
And I'm pretty positive I saw his son on the OSU bench tonight as a grad assistant.

Your son played on the team last year and is on the staff this year. I'm not anti-Dakich, but that just has to have an effect on you calling their games, even if it's slight.

still waiting for Jackson to win it for OSU down the stretch as DD predicted about ten times..and that he wouldnt miss another free throw..which he immediately did.

Ravech's set-up before tipoff was bad. He said JB was in his 38th season, as the screen shows 43. Said JB had had only one losing season, and we all know SU hasn't had a losing season since 1970-71..

The NCAA took away 5 of his years. That's why he looks so youthful for his age.

I generally don't mind Dakich... but last night I couldn't tolerate him. He's like an annoying family member you have to avoid sometimes when on a rant. When he was saying that foul on Frank was either a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2... I switched to espn 3 to watch with Spanish commentary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom