Refs standing in front of QB | Syracusefan.com

Refs standing in front of QB

Elite357

Walk On
I have never seen this before , can anyone explain why / what it is for?

Also, why don’t they do this when USF is on offense?

Very confusing

I have never seen this before , can anyone explain why / what it is for?

Also, why don’t they do this when USF is on offense?

Very confusing

If you keep the the same 11 guys on offense, and the ball stays inbounds, you can run plays as fast as you want to.

However, if the play goes out of bounds on your sideline, the refs assume that you're trying to sneak in a sub without them noticing, so they stand over the ball and give the defense a chance to sub.

New rule this year.

Thanks for the info - that is good to know
However, makes it even more confusing then why to try all of the trick plays - given the substitutions allow for the defense to properly line up

If you keep the the same 11 guys on offense, and the ball stays inbounds, you can run plays as fast as you want to.

However, if the play goes out of bounds on your sideline, the refs assume that you're trying to sneak in a sub without them noticing, so they stand over the ball and give the defense a chance to sub.

New rule this year.
What bothers me with that rule is that the play clock continues to run down. QB doesn't always get time to survey the defense and audible out of the called play. I know we had to burn timeouts at least a couple of times because of this during the year. Think we were hit with a delay of game too.

What bothers me with that rule is that the play clock continues to run down. QB doesn't always get time to survey the defense and audible out of the called play. I know we had to burn timeouts at least a couple of times because of this during the year. Think we were hit with a delay of game too.
A lot of that is solved with allowing communication devices in the QB helmets, so silly they still don't allow in the college game.

i understand the sub rule but see no reason why the official has to stand directly in front of the qb's face. as noted above the QB can't really read the defensive package til the ref moves. and did they follow the same procedure when ucf did sub out ? i don't recall and can't stomach to rewatch and check. also when are you allowed to snap the ball ? is it when the sub defender has stepped onto the field or when they are in position. big difference time wise.

Last edited:
It's absurd to have a staring contest between the QB and the ref. Terrible optics.

New rule this year.
It looks more like hockey substituions, and THERES NO PLACE FOR IT IN FOOTBALL!!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

i understand the sub rule but see no reason why the official has to stand directly in front of the qb's face. as noted above the QB can't really read the defensive package til the ref moves. and did they follow the same procedure when ucf did sub out ? i don't recall and can't stomach to rewatch and check. also when are you allowed to snap the ball ? is it when the sub defender has stepped onto the field or when they are in position. big difference time wise.
USF first couple series didn’t sub out which allowed them to go fast. Then later when they subbed on deep passes. Cuse didn’t sub (were concerned with tempo) so refs moved off from over the ball quickly

i watched the USC/ CARDS game last night and the ref stood behind the center not in the QB's face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom