Regardless of the outcome this whole situation is classic Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Regardless of the outcome this whole situation is classic Syracuse

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I used to think people were full of it when they said SU sports were cursed especially with our Lax success but this whole situation is just another example of SU taking one step forward and three steps back. Most big time Div 1 schools deal with coaching changes, it happens to everyone at some point but I honestly don't know if this could have happened at a worse time or be anymore drawn out.

The process is dragging out longer then the state fair and everyday theres some new twist or development. Its clear Marrone is pissed off about what he feels is a lack of committment to big time college football be that facilities, salary, school support etc, whatever it is he is concerned enough to basically go on the Doug Marrone interview tour. I have no issue with Doug doing what he feels he has to to advance his career but at this point he has to or get off the pot. Regardless of whatever the issue is, the longer this drags on the more he his hurting the program and the diehard fanbase including this board. The decent recruiting class we have is allready being affected (smith) and the progress we have made the past four years is in serious jeopardy depending on who Gross hires or promotes to the position. Not to mention the fact conference realignment is still a huge issue, and SU becoming the next BC could result in us becoming as left out a UConn if the ACC suffers a fatal blow.

We have a guy who claims SU is his dream job, has been planning on this spot his whole life and now hes taking more interviews then Lane Kiffin at Tennessee. Where else but Syracuse does a coach with a .500 record who hasnt landed the #1 state recruit four years running or a recruiting class anywhere near the top 25 become one of the hottest college coaches outside of Chip Kelly in years.

As this whole process continues to shake out and become more and more of a cluster f***, I can only shake my head and think "only Syracuse"

Instead of being a leader and trying to fix the "problems" at your "dream job" he is causing more problems. No thanks do not want.

I heard that the problem is that 2 members of the BOT have it out for Doug and his job has been in constant jeopardy. He grew tired of it and now wants out because he feels he has no job security or support. I can't say I blame him.

I heard that the problem is that 2 members of the BOT have it out for Doug and his job has been in constant jeopardy. He grew tired of it and now wants out because he feels he has no job security or support. I can't say I blame him.
I find that hard to believe. But at this point, nothing would surprise me.

We keep turning the corner when we need a straitaway...

I am sure everyone isn't in love with Marrone but it happens to a certain extent everywhere

I heard it from a very g
I heard it from a very good source but maybe some one with closer ties to the program could shed some light on this. I know originally Chakka mentioned some issues with the BOT as well.

If true, they messed up Syracuse sport the big time. If they think Syracuse can hang its hat on basketball, good luck then. With all respect to jb, Syracuse basketball is more negative than positive to the outsider. Call me crazy, I think Doug managed to elevate Syracuse sport reputation more than any one has done in the past 20 years in Syracuse. There is reason nfl teams lined up to interview him. Too bad some Syracuse insiders fail to see it. I truly believe that Doug has the potential to bring multiple NCs to Syracuse if staying long enough.

Too bad some Syracuse insiders fail to see it. I truly believe that Doug has the potential to bring multiple NCs to Syracuse if staying long enough.

Had high hopes for Doug myself, but not that high. :D

If he manages to bring the Bills to an AFC title game before he eventually gets let go there, I'll concede your point.

Cheers,
Neil

He will get them to the playoffs in year one.

Considering they may go to 16 teams in the playoffs, that might actually happen. Which is why I specified AFC Title Game.

Cheers,
Neil

Had high hopes for Doug myself, but not that high. :D

If he manages to bring the Bills to an AFC title game before he eventually gets let go there, I'll concede your point.
I am a football expert so I pay attention to high level things. I think three signs of successful college program are more big wins, less bad loses, and develop players. Doug did all of that in Syracuse.

If he had a problem with donnie webb, he's going to have a blast with jerry Sullivan

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, Donnie was a hard hitting, biting and scathing critic of the program. Ouch!!!

And he was just a beat writer!!

It sounds like the Board with a few exceptions is a bunch of petty non-visionary .

I am a football expert so I pay attention to high level things. I think three signs of successful college program are more big wins, less bad loses, and develop players. Doug did all of that in Syracuse.

True, but you don't win multiple NCs unless the players you are developing have better than average skills to start with. And Marrone had yet to show he was a good recruiter of the more talented players. Sure that was partially tied to him being at SU, but his presence itself wasn't going to change those circumstances. And had we finally gotten the improved facilities we still don't know how good a recruiter he might have become. He might have remained an average recruiter. No one knows, now not even Doug.

Cheers,
Neil

Donnie situation... There must have been some truth to it. And it was the first sign our coach simply couldn't handle the slightest scrutiny.

Yeah, Donnie was a hard hitting, biting and scathing critic of the program. Ouch!!!

And he was just a beat writer!!

True, but you don't win multiple NCs unless the players you are developing have better than average skills to start with. And Marrone had yet to show he was a good recruiter of the more talented players. Sure that was partially tied to him being at SU, but his presence itself wasn't going to change those circumstances. And had we finally gotten the improved facilities we still don't know how good a recruiter he might have become. He might have remained an average recruiter. No one knows, now not even Doug.

Cheers,
Neil
True we currently don't have the talent level for nc yet. But if kids see you can give them better chance to the next level, they will come. Not sure Kentucky has better basketball facility than us. Not saying that they are developing players, but at least that is the perception.

Donnie situation... There must have been some truth to it. And it was the first sign our coach simply couldn't handle the slightest scrutiny.
He's going to love the bills flagship radio station when he punts from the 32

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not surprisingly your again assuming he left because he couldn't handle scrutiny. If you actually stop and think about that statement it really seems kind of silly, especially when you keep writing it over and over again in almost every post.

True we currently don't have the talent level for nc yet. But if kids see you can give them better chance to the next level, they will come. Not sure Kentucky has better basketball facility than us. Not saying that they are developing players, but at least that is the perception.

I don't see the comparison as us versus Kentucky in basketball. A more apt college basketball comparison would be a program which has only had moderate success to Kentucky.

But it doesn't matter at this point. Time to move on to who the next coach will be.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom