Reggie Spearman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reggie Spearman

I realize that the NCAA can't do anything, I just don't understand why a bunch of grown men are tweeting at a high school kid to get him to pick their school in a dick measuring contest. It's ridiculous.

I realize that the NCAA can't do anything, I just don't understand why a bunch of grown men are tweeting at a high school kid to get him to pick their school in a dick measuring contest. It's ridiculous.
Well said

Thank you - the borderline stalking of these kids by people seeking them out on Facebook, Twitter, etc is about as creepy as it gets.

I agree, it is stupid. But what is worse, people tweeting at the kids trying to get them to go to the school or the real boosters buying cars, houses, strippers, etc. for them?

The same reason people bash recruits who pick other schools on this board and every other D1 message board across the country. People get to invested in recruiting and dont want to sit on the sideline while other teams fans tweet at a player. I dont use twitter myself but thats my best guess.

I agree, it is stupid. But what is worse, people tweeting at the kids trying to get them to go to the school or the real boosters buying cars, houses, strippers, etc. for them?
obviously buying a kid a house or car or advancing him thousands of dollars is much worse but both are ridiculous. the use of twitter now is almost on that level of embarrassment though. kids sitting on twitter all day begging someone for a retweet? It's really sad and it really won't ever stop.

It's gone on for as long as colleges have been recruiting players. Hopefully these kids realize that the same people that are contacting them will be the same people saying bad things about them once they pick the other school. It's a crazy process.

I'm with you but I don't let it bother me. Twitter as a whole should be disbanded. But it's just football now -- it's such a monster on both the college and pro levels that it takes over people's lives. I mean, do people even really know what kind of kid and/or player this dude is? It's bizarre but people can't help themselves b/c they just love football too much. But it's yet another slimy, ugly, absurd layer to the disaster that is recruiting in this day and age.

I'm with you but I don't let it bother me. Twitter as a whole should be disbanded. But it's just football now -- it's such a monster on both the college and pro levels that it takes over people's lives. I mean, do people even really know what kind of kid and/or player this dude is? It's bizarre but people can't help themselves b/c they just love football too much. But it's yet another slimy, ugly, absurd layer to the disaster that is recruiting in this day and age.
Not true at all. there are a ton of very practical uses for it. I can tailor my intake of news to exactly the things I want to hear and see. It's a fantastic tool that is abused by the stupidity and gullibility (is that a word?) of many people. It has changed the way people around the world consume news and has allowed many things to build a global following.

why does every recruit thread delve into page after page of arguments over the NCAA's twitter policy?
My fault for taking it off topic...

My fault for taking it off topic...
Wasn't directed at you. Just in general. Seems to happen on every thread.

Everyone just needs to be personally responsible and know that it is as violation to tweet a recruit. The "well every SEC fan tweets at players and they don't get in trouble" argument is nonsensical.

Not true at all. there are a ton of very practical uses for it. I can tailor my intake of news to exactly the things I want to hear and see. It's a fantastic tool that is abused by the stupidity and gullibility of many people (is that a word?). It has changed the way people around the world consume news and has allowed many things to build a global following.

Yes, "people" is a word.

obviously buying a kid a house or car or advancing him thousands of dollars is much worse but both are ridiculous. the use of twitter now is almost on that level of embarrassment though. kids sitting on twitter all day begging someone for a retweet? It's really sad and it really won't ever stop.

It's a popularity thing. They are 16, 17, and 18 years old and they use retweets and likes as some sort of justification for how they act and how they are accepted by others when in reality, in a number of years they will come to realize how irrelevant and useless it is. I don't really blame the kids for basking in the attention, I put more blame on the lame adults that give these kids that attention and tell them what they want to hear. Nobody should have borderline threats and people bashing them because they chose to go to an opposing school.

It is a problem, I agree, and I also concur that I don't think that this is a temporary problem either.

Not true at all. there are a ton of very practical uses for it. I can tailor my intake of news to exactly the things I want to hear and see. It's a fantastic tool that is abused by the stupidity and gullibility (is that a word?) of many people. It has changed the way people around the world consume news and has allowed many things to build a global following.

As someone who appreciates newspapers, which makes me 34 going on 106 years old, I think twitter is a disaster.

Wasn't directed at you. Just in general. Seems to happen on every thread.

Everyone just needs to be personally responsible and know that it is as violation to tweet a recruit. The "well every SEC fan tweets at players and they don't get in trouble" argument is nonsensical.

Wrong -- everyone needs to be aware that it is absolutely pathetic to be tweeting 17-year-old recruits. That would really solve the issue.

it will stop when too many adults start to do it, then it is no longer cool.

it will stop when too many adults start to do it, then it is no longer cool.
Celebrities on all levels are making themselves "available which I think is a driving force in this BS. I only know this because My son is involved. He has a ton of contacts and is currently involved with Bob Gale and the restoration of the original Back to the Future Time machine Delorean that will be housed in the Universal museum when completed He has the original 4X4Toyota truck in his possession.Some consider the truck to be a more desirable possession.

why does every recruit thread delve into page after page of arguments over the NCAA's twitter policy?

Thats what I'm saying. Some of you guys sound real stupid crying over this stuff. Stop being senesitive and get over it because its not going to stop/change. I do it and its all in good fun. Call me "pathetic" for contacting these recruits, thats fine... With that said I had to stop following Isaiah Johnson, the things that kid says is a little out there, plus the interactions between Jerome Smith and Johnson are really awkward to read.

As someone who appreciates newspapers, which makes me 34 going on 106 years old, I think twitter is a disaster.
I love reading actual print newspapers as well. But twitter is great when I'm on the go and don't have time to sit there and read.

I don't tweet but someone should point out Cuse worked out well for both chan jones #1stroundpick and art jones #superbowl in the nfl. Also there's Freeney who's done well for himself #beastmode.

I don't tweet but someone should point out Cuse worked out well for both chan jones #1stroundpick and art jones #superbowl in the nfl. Also there's Freeney who's done well for himself #beastmode.

I'm going to assume that the coaching staff has done this for every single DL recruit since Freeney

I love reading actual print newspapers as well. But twitter is great when I'm on the go and don't have time to sit there and read.

True, but Twitter has killed newspapers. can you imagine the thought of actually just waiting for a printed story on something? Even I, as a fan of newspapers, never actually read them for any sort of breaking news. So I guess that's why I feel like Twitter is just a dumbed down version of papers -- whether that's fair or not, I don't know.

It's funny but there are Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois fans all over Spearman's twitter account. And they are all dissing on the Cuse. They must be worried.

No more ridiculous than people who hang on every word of these recruits/coaches/sports pundits.

Lets face it, to each their own, what people find interesting.

You shouldn't let it irritate you.

I pride myself on liking all the sports the average american couldn't care less about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom