Rehfuss entering the transfer portal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Rehfuss entering the transfer portal

I understand the sentiment though. Why would you want to go to school that didnt pursue you in the first place. Syracuse for some reason hasnt pushed local recruiting recently

SU hasn't pushed local recruiting recently because of a few reasons, but the main one is the upper level talent simply hasn't been there.

SU did have some communication with Bragg but neither was all that interested in the other. SU recruited Hackler extremely hard but he couldn't turn down the IVY degree. There really hasn't been a ton of 5 and 4 star guys over the last 3-4 years besides those two and Cook who we went after big time and landed.

The LSM Out of Lpool was a decent player but he wasn't offered and he flipped late to Albany along with the FM lsm who if healthy could have played here but hes a mess physically. SU didn't recruit the 27 Eccles Brothers and Hay flipped late for family reasons and we ended up with Hiltz and Birtwistle, a trade ill take every single time.

The Homer kid went to Denver but a few guys i talked to said he would never see the field and SU was never involved. The JD kids you could make an argument about but again, I still don't see a crushing miss or someone we dropped the ball on pursuing at least not yet.

Someone said that TD is still salty about not getting the call from Cuse in his high school days. Seems kinda petty if that is actually the reason (which is far from confirmed). Face off is one of the most easy to miss positions in the recruiting game. Ben Williams got his start at holy cross. Woodall got his start at high point (in an era when they were even less of a name). Gallagher got his start at Hofstra. Even the great Trevor Baptiste damn near went to William and Mary or some school like that before a late call from Tierney. One of the best fogos in the game today is at St. Joe’s. It’s the nature of the thing. Nothing personal Mr. Ierlan.
Also I think our two headed monster of phaup and varello could be at least top 10 in the nation.

The person that noted that was a poster over at fanlax who is a huge Hop fan. I heard something similar but that was years ago back when he was at Albany. From what I know now he's well past that and has worked out and practiced up at SU and has multiple friends on the team. I just don't think its a good fit, SU already has a good 1-2 punch and a frosh there high on. Phaup was top 6 i think in the shortened season. I don't think he's not considering SU out of some spite. SU doesn't offer hundreds if not thousands of kids each year. Hell Archers a former AA here and his kid ended up at Hobart.

Last edited:
SU hasn't pushed local recruiting recently because of a few reasons, but the main one is the upper level talent simply hasn't been there.

SU did have some communication with Bragg but neither was all that interested in the other. SU recruited Hackler extremely hard but he couldn't turn down the IVY degree. There really hasn't been a ton of 5 and 4 star guys over the last 3-4 years besides those two and Cook who we went after big time and landed.

The LSM Out of Lpool was a decent player but he wasn't offered and he flipped late to Albany along with the FM lsm who if healthy could have played here but hes a mess physically. SU didn't recruit the 27 Eccles Brothers and Hay flipped late for family reasons and we ended up with Hiltz and Birtwistle, a trade ill take every single time.

The Homer kid went to Denver but a few guys i talked to said he would never see the field and SU was never involved. The JD kids you could make an argument about but again, I still don't see a crushing miss or someone we dropped the ball on pursuing at least not yet.
Just posing the question. That’s all I agree with your sentiments

Someone said that TD is still salty about not getting the call from Cuse in his high school days. Seems kinda petty if that is actually the reason (which is far from confirmed). Face off is one of the most easy to miss positions in the recruiting game. Ben Williams got his start at holy cross. Woodall got his start at high point (in an era when they were even less of a name). Gallagher got his start at Hofstra. Even the great Trevor Baptiste damn near went to William and Mary or some school like that before a late call from Tierney. One of the best fogos in the game today is at St. Joe’s. It’s the nature of the thing. Nothing personal Mr. Ierlan.
Also I think our two headed monster of phaup and varello could be at least top 10 in the nation.

Except Ierlan was the opposite of an under the radar FoGo.

He was All Greater Rochester Player of the Year and a 2x AGR selection.

Victor played a lot of top teams regardless of Class and he was a regular on the club circuit.

I’m not mentioning any of this to justify any hurt feelings. I don’t think TD is still salty toward SU (or that he ever was).

Cuse recruits Penn Yan and Canandaigua well. Victor is tough because there is a lot of money and ego that may look down on SU academically.

I wonder how different Trimboli’s recruitment might’ve been if he stayed in Greece rather than transfer to Victor.

It didn’t surprise me much that Andre resigned. Victor town lacrosse is a perfect case study of psycho youth sports culture.

Except Ierlan was the opposite of an under the radar FoGo.

He was All Greater Rochester Player of the Year and a 2x AGR selection.

Victor played a lot of top teams regardless of Class and he was a regular on the club circuit.

I’m not mentioning any of this to justify any hurt feelings. I don’t think TD is still salty toward SU (or that he ever was).

Cuse recruits Penn Yan and Canandaigua well. Victor is tough because there is a lot of money and ego that may look down on SU academically.

I wonder how different Trimboli’s recruitment might’ve been if he stayed in Greece rather than transfer to Victor.

It didn’t surprise me much that Andre resigned. Victor town lacrosse is a perfect case study of psycho youth sports culture.

Yet Jim stepped down to spend time with his family, not because of the psycho youth sports culture. Coaching at a high level doesn't allow for much time to watch your own kids play, let alone time for much of anything else.

Yet Jim stepped down to spend time with his family, not because of the psycho youth sports culture. Coaching at a high level doesn't allow for much time to watch your own kids play, let alone time for much of anything else.

I’m sure spending time with his family was the biggest factor in his decision. My brother was a successful varsity hoops head coach in WNY for over 15 years before he decided to retire to coach his kids’ youth teams. (His program wasn’t nearly as dominant as Victor lax).

It’s very rare that a coach steps away in the middle of a record breaking run to spend more time with family. I don’t think it’s health related and I certainly hope it’s not related to the health of a family member.

Victor has become the dominant Upstate program. Their youth program produces kids who won’t see the field at varsity level who are very good players.

There are always disgruntled families who think little Chad or Harrison is unfairly short changed with PT. Victor’s gigantic youth program breeds those folks in spades.

I’m sure spending time with his family was the biggest factor in his decision. My brother was a successful varsity hoops head coach in WNY for over 15 years before he decided to retire to coach his kids’ youth teams. (His program wasn’t nearly as dominant as Victor lax).

It’s very rare that a coach steps away in the middle of a record breaking run to spend more time with family. I don’t think it’s health related and I certainly hope it’s not related to the health of a family member.

Victor has become the dominant Upstate program. Their youth program produces kids who won’t see the field at varsity level who are very good players.

There are always disgruntled families who think little Chad or Harrison is unfairly short changed with PT. Victor’s gigantic youth program breeds those folks in spades.

I live, work and play lacrosse in Rochester. My inside source (I work with his sister in law) confirmed what all the reports stated - he stepped down to spend more time with his family. I think the pandemic has really put a focus on what is truly important for some people.

I played basketball with TD and some of his friends a few years ago. They saw a middle aged white dude and thought they were going to double team me around midcourt at the beginning of our game. I split the defense and found a cutting teammate for an easy layup. He learned quickly.

I live, work and play lacrosse in Rochester. My inside source (I work with his sister in law) confirmed what all the reports stated - he stepped down to spend more time with his family. I think the pandemic has really put a focus on what is truly important for some people.

I was at Verdun.

A couple of comments on the local guy talk. Hackler from what I understand wasn't interested in Syracuse and he actually reached out to Yale first.

JDs Keib is headed to Yale.
JDs MacLachlin is headed to Stony Brook,
FMs Jack VanValkenburgh is headed to UAlbany,
ESM's Palumb is head to UAlbany,
Westhill's Delano headed to Hobart,
JDs Burns headed to Brown,
FM defender Sam Stratton is head to UAlbany,
FM Luke Stratton Army,
West Genny Alex Rosa Hobart,
Central Square kid Moran head to UAlbany,
Caz Brody Coleman is headed to Yale...

at least 4 or 5 other D1 kids I'm missing.

Plenty of D1 talent just in section 3 and a few legacies.

I don't think it's all on Syracuse not recruiting some of these guys. From one of the parties involved Hackler wanted Yale. People also forget how expensive Syracuse is to. UAlbany is an easy sell when you're only paying state tuition. Total SU cost is about $78,000. After a partial scholarship and merit based aid how much is the final price tag ? $40K a year? 30?

Last edited:
A couple of comments on the local guy talk. Hackler from what I understand wasn't interested in Syracuse and he actually reached out to Yale first.

FM Luke Stratton Army,

I don't think it's all on Syracuse not recruiting some of these guys. From one of the parties involved Hackler wanted Yale. People forgot how expensive Syracuse is to. UAlbany is an easy sell when you're only paying state tuition. Total SU cost is about $78,000. After a partial scholarship and merit based aid how much is the final price tag ? $40K a year? 30?

Unless things have changed, Syracuse also gives out need-based grants. I got one of those on top of an academic scholarship. Still expensive after all that, though.

FM Luke Stratton Army,

I don't think it's all on Syracuse not recruiting some of these guys. From one of the parties involved Hackler wanted Yale. People forgot how expensive Syracuse is to. UAlbany is an easy sell when you're only paying state tuition. Total SU cost is about $78,000. After a partial scholarship and merit based aid how much is the final price tag ? $40K a year? 30?

Nobody headed to the ACC/B1G/BE.

UAlbany Tuition and R&B for an "in-state" resident is $25k

Nobody headed to the ACC/B1G/BE.

UAlbany Tuition and R&B for an "in-state" resident is $25k

Then factor in a partial scholarship and merit based aid. (and/or need based aid dependent upon household income.) That state cost probably drops down to near 10K.

But it’s not like Yale, Brown and Hobart are cheap either.

I don't know the inner workings of the Ivies but from what I've heard the aid packages they put together for preferred athletes make the cost extremely affordable. And if these kids are carrying 90+ grades they'd get huge merit based money. and yes Hobart is stupid expensive to; 75K?. I'm not sure what for.

But it’s not like Yale, Brown and Hobart are cheap either.

I'm not looking at expenses (that's somebody else's headache).

I'm looking at the talent level, and where these kids end up playing.

Nobody from Section III is headed to Hop or Maryland, Duke or UVa this year.

Hop is getting a kid from CBA next year however, LSM who is an Under Armour underclass AA. Might not be the last one from Sec 3 given Milliman's background and their new defensive coordinator's roots in Cazenovia

Historically though those schools have rarely recruited Upstate. Penn State though has a couple of Section3 kids and a few Section5 kids. Denver has a kid from Tully. Yale has 2 Section3 kids and 2 Section5 kids.

FM Luke Stratton Army,

I don't think it's all on Syracuse not recruiting some of these guys. From one of the parties involved Hackler wanted Yale. People also forget how expensive Syracuse is to. UAlbany is an easy sell when you're only paying state tuition. Total SU cost is about $78,000. After a partial scholarship and merit based aid how much is the final price tag ? $40K a year? 30?

Agreed there is definitely still a good amount of D1 talent on the roster, Hobart especially has done a really good job mining Sec 3 for talent.

My overall point though was bout about the amount of elite level talent being down in Sec 3 and really all of Central and Upstate NY from the 90's and early to mid 2000s. There just isn't the amount of 4 and 5 star players that there used to be. There is certainly a dynamic of SU not recruiting some of these guys and sometimes the player just wanting a different school. I can say that Hackler was definitely interested in SU, but fell in love with Yale.

The middie from CBA who went to Duke was never really interested SU and I don't think SU spent much time on him. Some guys SU did have some discussions with but nothing ever really developed. Sam Stratton is a good example. I know SU looked at him before he committed to Army years ago and before he subsequently got hurt. He then ended up switching his commit late to Albany due to his injury and was hurt all of last year and I believe either did a PG year or took a year off. Don't know much about Coleman so I can't comment either way there, though SU for some reason hasn't brought in anyone from Caz despite them having 1 or 2 D1 kids a year.

I know SU was involved with the JD kids Keib and Burns, I believe Keib more so but they both decided to go elsewhere. To bad as Keib is a player but hard to turn down Yale.

As for the rest I don't believe SU was really all that involved or really offered. I know they weren't involved or in VanValkenburgh or really any of the kids who committed to Albany save for Palumb but that was before SU landed their #1 target at the position. I believe they had Rosa in for a prospect day but even with his brother here I don't believe he was ever offered.

Agreed there is definitely still a good amount of D1 talent on the roster, Hobart especially has done a really good job mining Sec 3 for talent.

My overall point though was bout about the amount of elite level talent being down in Sec 3 and really all of Central and Upstate NY from the 90's and early to mid 2000s. There just isn't the amount of 4 and 5 star players that there used to be. There is certainly a dynamic of SU not recruiting some of these guys and sometimes the player just wanting a different school. I can say that Hackler was definitely interested in SU, but fell in love with Yale.

The middie from CBA who went to Duke was never really interested SU and I don't think SU spent much time on him. Some guys SU did have some discussions with but nothing ever really developed. Sam Stratton is a good example. I know SU looked at him before he committed to Army years ago and before he subsequently got hurt. He then ended up switching his commit late to Albany due to his injury and was hurt all of last year and I believe either did a PG year or took a year off. Don't know much about Coleman so I can't comment either way there, though SU for some reason hasn't brought in anyone from Caz despite them having 1 or 2 D1 kids a year.

I know SU was involved with the JD kids Keib and Burns, I believe Keib more so but they both decided to go elsewhere. To bad as Keib is a player but hard to turn down Yale.

As for the rest I don't believe SU was really all that involved or really offered. I know they weren't involved or in VanValkenburgh or really any of the kids who committed to Albany save for Palumb but that was before SU landed their #1 target at the position. I believe they had Rosa in for a prospect day but even with his brother here I don't believe he was ever offered.

Yeah I don't really think those kids were so elite they'd get consistant field time at Syracuse. Hackler, maybe Bragg, Keib for sure was. I liked VanValkenburgh as a goalie. I think he'll start one day for UAlbany. But otherwise ... I think if I'm a player and I'm paying good coin to attend school I want to find a fit where I'm going to see the field, but that's just me.

While I agree with your point overall, Mackenzie from CBA is going to Duke this year.

The idea of keeping talent "home" has to be one of the longest running topic amongst Syracuse lacrosse fans. For as long as i've been on these message boards there has always been complaints about missing out on this or that player - does the name Andrew Hanover ring any bells?

And while I totally understand it, I also am encouraged by the fact that Syracuse is currently drawing starters and All-Americans from all over the country - Dordevic from Oregon, Murphy from Texas, Porter from Canada, Curry from Baltimore, Dearth and Kennedy from New Jersey. I think I'd be more concerned if SU was simply only focusing on the local kids (and I think we'd be furious at Desko for being a lazy recruiter).

Obviously SU has missed out on a number of big names over the years (Canizarro from DU and Fletcher from Loyola come to mind first though there are certainly more), and there are local kids I'd like to see at Syracuse in the future, but is there anyone on a college team right now from Section III that you'd think would be playing/starting for the Orange right now?

The idea of keeping talent "home" has to be one of the longest running topic amongst Syracuse lacrosse fans. For as long as i've been on these message boards there has always been complaints about missing out on this or that player - does the name Andrew Hanover ring any bells?

And while I totally understand it, I also am encouraged by the fact that Syracuse is currently drawing starters and All-Americans from all over the country - Dordevic from Oregon, Murphy from Texas, Porter from Canada, Curry from Baltimore, Dearth and Kennedy from New Jersey. I think I'd be more concerned if SU was simply only focusing on the local kids (and I think we'd be furious at Desko for being a lazy recruiter).

Obviously SU has missed out on a number of big names over the years (Canizarro from DU and Fletcher from Loyola come to mind first though there are certainly more), and there are local kids I'd like to see at Syracuse in the future, but is there anyone on a college team right now from Section III that you'd think would be playing/starting for the Orange right now?
I am pretty confident that Marcus Hudgins (D for Army from West Genny) would start on D for us if he played for Cuse. That's about as close as I can get for definite. Devon Buckshot (Lafayette) and Hackler (Skaneatles) would not be starting today, but would be intriguing young prospects with potential to start in the future. Same goes for Bragg (Caz) who would start if not for our incredible starting middie line. Bertrand (Baldwinsville) in his final year could prove to have had the ability to start for us. We will see how he does at UVA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom