Class of 2014 - remaining spots | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 remaining spots

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
We have 18 kids on board

WW is retro'd to 2012
Long and Cooper are 2013
Barnwell's ship is open

Let us presume we will lose 1-3 players off team for a variety of possible reasons
Let us presume 2-4 kids will not qualify

This leaves us with five or six spots still available at a minimum

Thoughts?

The most reliable number I have seen is 64 scholarship players due to return from last years squad. That leaves 21 available scholarships not counting the january enrollees. Back dating doesn't change the 85 scholarship limit moving into Fall 2014.

The most reliable number I have seen is 64 scholarship players due to return from last years squad. That leaves 21 available scholarships not counting the january enrollees. Back dating doesn't change the 85 scholarship limit moving into Fall 2014.

Something has to give because we are in play with 7-8 kids... Has to be more attrition than has been reported.

64 returning players + 3 January enrollees (AJ, CC, and WW) + 15 Verbals = 82 scholarships accounted for.

Room for 3 more.

Maybe there are more departures coming.

Maybe a few of our verbals won't qualify (in which case they are no longer counted as verbals).

Fun times ahead. :D

I believe that there are three guys on the wish list for the staff.

Ward, Steve I, and Zeek. Next in line would be Thomas. After that I would like to see one of the other DT's Cajuste really interest me.

Something has to give because we are in play with 7-8 kids... Has to be more attrition than has been reported.

Either that or the staff has 3 guys they really want, but are working the B-list group just as hard to guarantee they get guys that they want.

Here is OrangeXtremes' list of 64 players again. Add in Williams, Cooper and Long and we are at 67.

Broyld, Morgan, Funderburk, Eskridge, Kimble
Reddish, Wilson, Arciniega, Desir, Vigille
Hunt, Kirkland, Norton, Winfield, Thompson
Scissum, Hale, Kelly, Estime, Whigham
Flemming, PTG, George, Kobena, Morris,
DMF, Hodge, AAM, Davis, Krautman,
Lynch, Fisher, Rodgers, Perry, Simmons
Crume, Trudo, Coleman, Miller, Palmer
Hickey, McGloster, Lasker, Robinson, Hayes
Foy, Burton, Knapp, Emerich, Provo
Cornelius, Avant, Lewis, Batten, Moore
West, Parris, Johnson, Dixon, Robinson
Welsh, Raymond, Trejo, Sloan.

Here's a question that I don't know the answer . If a kid is injured/ill and can no longer play is there a way of providing them with an academic scholarship that doesn't count towards the 85?

Yes.

Are you sure? Not saying that you are wrong, just seems, from the outside looking in, that the player would need to fully qualify for academic scholarship under the university's standard requirements. Otherwise, why wouldn't programs all over the country move out non contributing returning players to free up football scholarships?

Doesn't seem ethical or within NCAA rules.

Maybe we are working on SEC rules. Bring everyone in and then let the numbers sort themselves out, Grey shirt, preferred walk-on, etc, etc. All I know is I am very excited and I am looking forward to 5 Feb. Good to be orange!!

Are you sure? Not saying that you are wrong, just seems, from the outside looking in, that the player would need to fully qualify for academic scholarship under the university's standard requirements. Otherwise, why wouldn't programs all over the country move out non contributing returning players to free up football scholarships?

SU didn't kick Jermaine Pierce out into the street after he was forced to retire due to illness. He was allowed to stay at SU to finish his degree.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2007/08/su_freshman_phenom_forced_to_g.html

Of course, you have to have a life threatening injury or illness which prevents you from ever playing again.

And programs all over the country routinely move out non-contributing players by simply not renewing their scholarships. They don't even have to be injured.

Now that I think about it this must have been the circumstance with Marona who was no longer able to play because of concussions. He must have been provided with some type of academic scholarship as he is staying on at Syracuse. Actually I think it makes sense morally.

At the end of the day it works out. Usually one or two short of fully subscribed.

My guess if anyone leaves it would be Fisher, but you never know.

At the end of the day it works out. Usually one or two short of fully subscribed.

My guess if anyone leaves it would be Fisher, but you never know.

Well you just voiced my thought on one player that might leave.

Bama leads the country in this. Saban has trainers claim lessor players are medically unable to play every year. Their scholarship comes off the fball books and they are back under 85 when they over sign.

A bunch of articles out there. Here are a few

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/saban_defends_alabamas_use_of.html

Last edited:
Bama leads the country in this. Saban has trainers claim lessor players are medically unable to play every year. Their scholarship comes off the fball books and they are back under 85 when they over sign.

A bunch do articles out there. Here are a few

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/saban_defends_alabamas_use_of.html

I have no doubt that this happens all the time. The OP indicated that not only do they "come off the books," but the school also than grants them an academic scholarship to cover part of or all the expenses. That's the part I question.

Now that I think about it this must have been the circumstance with Marona who was no longer able to play because of concussions. He must have been provided with some type of academic scholarship as he is staying on at Syracuse. Actually I think it makes sense morally.

Wouldn't the "morally" correct thing, in this circumstance anyway, be to honor his football scholarship?

Academic scholarships should be granted based solely on academic merit, right? Perhaps this was the case with Marona - I don't know that it was not. But, it should not be the case universally for all non contributing scholarship football players who are moved off the roster.

15.5.1.3 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill
A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness.

15.5.1.3.1 Incapacitating Injury or Illness.

If an incapacitating injury or illness occurs prior to a prospective student-athlete’s or a student-athlete’s participation in athletically related activities and results in the student-athlete’s inability to compete ever again, the student-athlete shall not be counted within the institution’s maximum financial aid award limitations for the current, as well as later, academic years. However, if the incapacitating injury or illness occurs on or after the student-athlete’s participation in countable athletically related activities in the sport, the student-athlete shall be counted in the institution’s maximum financial aid limitations for the current academic year but need not be counted in later academic years.

In other words ... he stays on a "football" scholarship, but he doesn't count against the 85.

Last edited:
Didn't Flemming use up his elgibility?

No.

Played in 2010
Played in 2011
Played in 2012
Played in only 1 game in 2013 before suffering a season ending injury ... making him eligible for a medical hardship waiver.

He's expected back in 2014.

007 said:
Wouldn't the "morally" correct thing, in this circumstance anyway, be to honor his football scholarship? Academic scholarships should be granted based solely on academic merit, right? Perhaps this was the case with Marona - I don't know that it was not. But, it should not be the case universally for all non contributing scholarship football players who are moved off the roster.

I believe someone that can no longer perform can be kept on athletic scholie but it does not "count". I don't believe they are then switched to an academic scholie, so it's morally correct all the way around.

We need to keep a spot open for Wilbon in case he wants to come, then Ishmail, Ward, Rodney.

Wish List with Cuse %:

Ishmael - Louisville has entered in as a major player here - kid is tight McD, Eduoard and Dowels though. Cuse - 75%
Ward - we're currently in the lead, staff feels good here - Cuse 75%
Wilbon - if he makes it to campus, I'd give us a 60% shot
Zeek - Wake lean IMO who is currently on an OV there - Cuse 40%
Kayton Samuels - I personally think Kayton has much higher upside. Staff wants both DT's. - Cuse 90%
Jon Thomas - big ? mark about his eligibility though. We don't have a chance if Miami or Georgia offer late - Cuse 70% right now
Cajuste - another raw kid with upside, WVU lean - Cuse 30%
Cordy - long-time Cuse recruit who I think ends up here - Cuse 50%
Trumain Washington - guessing he goes to Louisville - Cuse 25%

There are a few outliers too. I don't have too much to share, I just know that they are looking at other kids but playing it close to the vest.

The top 5 can be interchanged here. Must, MUST gets for this class. Staff feels good on all three, but there is some serious competition with Ward, Ishmael and Zeek. Need to grab one of these DTs.

This will end up a great class in terms of Syracuse recruiting.

Wish List with Cuse %:

Ishmael - Louisville has entered in as a major player here - kid is tight McD, Eduoard and Dowels though. Cuse - 75%
Ward - we're currently in the lead, staff feels good here - Cuse 75%
Wilbon - if he makes it to campus, I'd give us a 60% shot
Zeek - Wake lean IMO who is currently on an OV there - Cuse 40%
Kayton Samuels - I personally think Kayton has much higher upside. Staff wants both DT's. - Cuse 90%
Jon Thomas - big ? mark about his eligibility though. We don't have a chance if Miami or Georgia offer late - Cuse 70% right now
Cajuste - another raw kid with upside, WVU lean - Cuse 30%
Cordy - long-time Cuse recruit who I think ends up here - Cuse 50%
Trumain Washington - guessing he goes to Louisville - Cuse 25%

There are a few outliers too. I don't have too much to share, I just know that they are looking at other kids but playing it close to the vest.

The top 5 can be interchanged here. Must, MUST gets for this class. Staff feels good on all three, but there is some serious competition with Ward, Ishmael and Zeek. Need to grab one of these DTs.

This will end up a great class in terms of Syracuse recruiting.
Rocco what is the story with Wilbon? Supposedly he's not visting any where this weekend. Is he coming next weekend or not?