Class of 2022 - Remaining targets thread Class of 2022 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 Remaining targets thread Class of 2022

Long term the portal is bad for team development. Prior to the portal, kids would stay, develop their skills and hopefully work toward a starting role. True that many got recruited over, but the main emphasis was player development.

Now, development is out the window for many players. They will have a smaller length of time to improve their skills, strength and abilities. Other players, the same class or so will be brought in to compete for immediate playing time. Some players will stick it out, many won’t, and there will be a constant shuffling of cards, with a quarter of the deck passed down to FCS, or out of football entirely.

That doesn’t even begin to try to calculate the impact of the constant shifting on the quality of education and degrees to be obtained by these “student athletes.”

Will schools counter that they are entitled to contracts from players beyond letters of intent? Can a school lock a kid in to a three year term of the kid agrees? Why not?

And I wonder how many kids will actually earn scholarships out of high school. Will the new paradigm force many kids who received scholarships in the past to start their “student athlete” careers at non-scholarship schools, and if they do well enough, earn the attention of bigger programs who will scarf them up in the portal?

It’s a mess.
This is only the negative side.

What if you switch defensive coordinators and now you don’t need a certain type of player? The guys who don’t fit have a way out. The guys you might need are sitting in the portal a year older and stronger. The construction of the team gets more tight and you can put players into positions of need easier.

This is good for teams.

This is only the negative side.

What if you switch defensive coordinators and now you don’t need a certain type of player? The guys who don’t fit have a way out. The guys you might need are sitting in the portal a year older and stronger. The construction of the team gets more tight and you can put players into positions of need easier.

This is good for teams.
And it gives coaches an easier route to give kids "the talk" after a year or two. I suspect that's what happened with some of our recent departures.

Has Cooper receiver a scholarship!
This is a fantastic question. He is easily our best receiver now, and absolutely should be on scholarship. Same goes for Darton on the defensive line. He is currently our most disruptive force.

If they aren't on scholarship it's a travesty

Long term the portal is bad for team development. Prior to the portal, kids would stay, develop their skills and hopefully work toward a starting role. True that many got recruited over, but the main emphasis was player development.

Now, development is out the window for many players. They will have a smaller length of time to improve their skills, strength and abilities. Other players, the same class or so will be brought in to compete for immediate playing time. Some players will stick it out, many won’t, and there will be a constant shuffling of cards, with a quarter of the deck passed down to FCS, or out of football entirely.

That doesn’t even begin to try to calculate the impact of the constant shifting on the quality of education and degrees to be obtained by these “student athletes.”

Will schools counter that they are entitled to contracts from players beyond letters of intent? Can a school lock a kid in to a three year term of the kid agrees? Why not?

And I wonder how many kids will actually earn scholarships out of high school. Will the new paradigm force many kids who received scholarships in the past to start their “student athlete” careers at non-scholarship schools, and if they do well enough, earn the attention of bigger programs who will scarf them up in the portal?

It’s a mess.
Most of this post has a good point, but there are going to be programs that focus on player development. Our could and should be one. Wake does this well. (Clawson is the gridiron's answer to Jamie Dixon). No reason we cannot, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.

This is a fantastic question. He is easily our best receiver now, and absolutely should be on scholarship. Same goes for Darton on the defensive line. He is currently our most disruptive force.

Not to get off point, Cooper easily over CJ. I would disagree about the easily .

Not to get off point, Cooper easily over CJ. I would disagree about the easily .
IMO, I would say at worst a toss up between those 2. But I would take Cooper from what I have seen

It’s a mess.
With this freedom comes risk for the players. The grass isnt always greener and many of these kids will find out the hardway and will end up without a spot and out of luck for an education.

I doubt that congress acts on this as they cant agree on anything.

Long term the kids are going to lose more than the schools

It’s a mess.
This is honestly one of the best posts I have seen in a long time. You bring up some really insightful points.

If we are going to treat student athletes like employees or free agents, why not go all the way and dole out contracts? People complain that coaches can leave when they want, so why shouldn't athletes?

Okay. So a coach can leave but someone has to make good on the contract the coach signed with the original school. Should students be bound by contractual agreements so that if they leave early the school gets some compensation?

Is this the road we all really wanted to go down? I certainly didn't. But this is what we have. If it's no holds barred, then it's truly no holds barred, and as stupid as it has gotten already, it can get even more stupid by the day

Expect Dayton to be on scholarship next year. Cooper has plates SIX years already between Arizona, UTEP and Syracuse. Even with a redshirt and free Covid year he must have exhausted his eligibility, no?

Expect Dayton to be on scholarship next year. Cooper has plates SIX years already between Arizona, UTEP and Syracuse. Even with a redshirt and free Covid year he must have exhausted his eligibility, no?

He has one more year. But only because the COVID year essentially didn't count.

Somebody broke it down in another thread, but he has 1 more year of eligibility remaining, despite the six years he's played.

I think Darton and Cooper being brought on scholarship makes sense. If so that would put us at 11 spots open. Still a lot of spots to fill.
Lets compromise have Darton and Cooper split 1 scholarship and have 12 scholarships open.

Wait...Cooper over CJ...is CJ Courtney Jackson?
In the immortal words of McEnroe...
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!

Cooper is a possession receiver.
Jackson has the potential to get more yards after catch.

Seems insane but I guess he has one more year left

I also assumed he was out of eligibility

I think by judging by his stats over the years…

He had…

Year 1- Redshirt or Medical Redshirt
Year 2- Redshirt or Medical Redshirt
Year 3- Year of eligibility used
Year 4- Year of eligibility used
Year 5- Covid Year/no eligibility used
Year 6- year of eligibility used

That would get him one more year of eligibility no?

Just a guess by looking at his stats

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!

Yup I like what I saw with Cooper in his limited time but there is no evidence to say he was better than CJ. Now that doesn't mean he can't pass him up next year.

I think by judging by his stats over the years…

He had…

Year 1- Redshirt or Medical Redshirt
Year 2- Redshirt or Medical Redshirt
Year 3- Year of eligibility used
Year 4- Year of eligibility used
Year 5- Covid Year/no eligibility used
Year 6- year of eligibility used

That would get him one more year of eligibility no?

Just a guess by looking at his stats

I give up trying to decipher NCAA rules. You get one redshirt year. The exception is if you have already used a redshirt and suffer an injury that keeps you from playing. That enables you to petition for a sixth year of eligibility. Thought you could only do that after you exhaust your traditional eligibility. Then add in the Covid year. That’s how you get to seven.

Maybe we’re just going to suit him up and assume the NCAA will be as confused as we are.

I give up trying to decipher NCAA rules. You get one redshirt year. The exception is if you have already used a redshirt and suffer an injury that keeps you from playing. That enables you to petition for a sixth year of eligibility. Thought you could only do that after you exhaust your traditional eligibility. Then add in the Covid year. That’s how you get to seven.

Maybe we’re just going to suit him up and assume the NCAA will be as confused as we are.

Everyone normally gets a 5 year window to play 4 years.

Because of Covid, everyone gets 6 years to play 5 (since 2020 is a do-over).

Because Cooper was injured in pre-season camp before his freshman year, he can file a waiver for a 7th year.

Everyone normally gets a 5 year window to play 4 years.

Because of Covid, everyone gets 6 years to play 5 (since 2020 is a do-over).

Because Cooper was injured in pre-season camp before his freshman year, he can file a waiver for a 7th year.
Not sure why I thought you had to have used the general redshirt before applying for the medical one, but I did find this that explains that the sixt year has to be due to circumstances "out of his control. " Must have lost two seasons due to injury, petitioned and already been granted a waiver?

Sixth-Year Waiver​

In rare instances the NCAA will grant a sixth-year waiver to extend an individual eligibility calendar past five years. That player must show that he lost two seasons due to circumstances out of his control. That effectively gives the player a second redshirt year.

Just a reminder we are now in the Dead period.

"From December 13, 2021 to January 13, 2022, it is not permissible to make official or unofficial in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations, on or off campus."

Just a reminder we are now in the Dead period.

"From December 13, 2021 to January 13, 2022, it is not permissible to make official or unofficial in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations, on or off campus."
A great time for some CuseLegacy perspective on who we're in the market for and who not to follow anymore? Anybody you think we should become more familiar with as fans?

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!

I won't dispute that Jackson can do some really good things but Cooper has that quick twitch action and I think if we can feed him the rock 6 to 8 times a game I think he will really surprise you on the big play ability. The guy looks like he has another gear available.

Not sure why I thought you had to have used the general redshirt before applying for the medical one, but I did find this that explains that the sixt year has to be due to circumstances "out of his control. " Must have lost two seasons due to injury, petitioned and already been granted a waiver?

Sixth-Year Waiver​

In rare instances the NCAA will grant a sixth-year waiver to extend an individual eligibility calendar past five years. That player must show that he lost two seasons due to circumstances out of his control. That effectively gives the player a second redshirt year.
If you can show the injuries were unique each season, you could be granted as many years as you wish from a medical hardship standpoint.

Year 1 - ACL
Year 2 - Broken leg
Year 3 - Other ACL
Year 4 - ACL from Year 1

That’s four years but in NCAA’s eyes you still haven’t played one as long as you have the proper documentation.