Class of 2022 - Remaining targets thread Class of 2022 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 Remaining targets thread Class of 2022

Thought Jackson was our best, most consistent receiver this year.

He was our best, but it was an up and down season. Great stretch against FSU, Wake, VT.

All but disappeared against BC, Louisville, NC State.

Finished with his strongest game against Pitt.

It's great that he has 3 years left.

I think by judging by his stats over the years…

He had…

Year 1- Redshirt or Medical Redshirt
Year 2- Redshirt or Medical Redshirt
Year 3- Year of eligibility used
Year 4- Year of eligibility used
Year 5- Covid Year/no eligibility used
Year 6- year of eligibility used

That would get him one more year of eligibility no?

Just a guess by looking at his stats

According to the Syracuse media guide...

Career Overview: Joined the Orange in preseason camp prior to the 2021 season as a PWO after transferring from UTEP ... Played the 2016-2018 seasons at Arizona. Injured in 2016 at Arizona, eligible to apply for a medical redshirt. Injured in 2019, his first year at UTEP. Only played in four games, thus eligible for a redshirt year.

Freshman Year (2016): First year at Arizona. Earned a spot in the rotation before early-season injury ended his season and allowed for a redshirt year … Made collegiate debut against Grambling State (9/10) … Caught first career pass for 15 yards in victory over Hawai’i (9/17) … Missed rest of season due to injury.

Sophomore Year (2017): Second year at Arizona. Played in seven games as a reserve receiver … Hauled in two receptions for 12 yards in regular-season finale against Arizona State (11/25). YEAR 1

Junior Year (2018): Played in 12 games ... Caught season-high four passes at Utah (10/12) ... Three catches for season-high 97 yards at Washington State (11/17). YEAR 2

Senior Year (2019): First year at UTEP. Earned a redshirt after playing in four games in his first season as a Miner, including making one start at receiver ... Played in the first four games of the season, including starting at Southern Miss, before suffering a season-ending injury ... Had 10 catches for 147 yards (14.7 ypc) and an average of 36.8 receiving yards per game ... Had a season-high four catches for 51 yards in UTEP’s road game at Southern Miss.

Redshirt Senior Year (2020): Second year at UTEP. Saw action in all eight games as a wide receiver, including making one start in win over Abilene Christian (9/19) ... Had 10 receptions for 136 yards and a touchdown ... Had season-high 44 receiving yards on two catches in UTEP’s win at ULM (9/26) ... Made his first career touchdown reception on a 33-yard score at Louisiana Tech (10/10). The NCAA gave everyone an extra year of eligibility due to Covid.

Covid RS Senior Year (2021): First year at Syracuse. Saw action in 11 games. Had 21 receptions for 199 yards and zero touchdowns. YEAR 3

Covid RS MRS Senior year (2022): Second year at Syracuse.

Is he on scholarship yet? He played in 11 games last year and was our second leading receiver (behind Courtney Jackson).

A great time for some CuseLegacy perspective on who we're in the market for and who not to follow anymore? Anybody you think we should become more familiar with as fans?
There are posters who know much better than I.
Plus it's not the Dead Period for me...my office is a disaster area right now as I am working on our business and personal taxes. :(

And gentlemen, this is the recruiting forum. Discussions of players currently on campus and on the team are for the football forum.

There are posters who know much better than I.
Plus it's not the Dead Period for me...my office is a disaster area right now as I am working on our business and personal taxes. :(
Well, I hope when you’re done with all of that stuff, Santa will be good to you. I’m a believer that you’re on the nice list...

I won't dispute that Jackson can do some really good things but Cooper has that quick twitch action and I think if we can feed him the rock 6 to 8 times a game I think he will really surprise you on the big play ability. The guy looks like he has another gear available.
I really like him. Think he has a break out year

Well, I hope when you’re done with all of that stuff, Santa will be good to you. I’m a believer that you’re on the nice list...
I know that you are definitely on the nice list my friend.

Casey Thompson Texas Led B12 in TDs with 25 and 9 int - partner with Tucker and there should be bowl or busy for babers

HS kids are now a huge risk. If they dont start they are gone. Need to build through the portal going forward
This is complete nonsense.

Where the Hell exactly are portal kids going to come from if football programs aren't bringing in highschool recruits?

Portal kids don't just materialize out of thin air. There's no spontaneous appearance of portal players.

At some point they were a highschool player, and at some point, they accepted a scholarship to play college football.

If anything recruiting highschool players becomes even more important, because that provides a relationship to leverage with players that didn't pick you the first time that enter the portal.

This is complete nonsense.

Where the Hell exactly are portal kids going to come from if football programs aren't bringing in highschool recruits?

Portal kids don't just materialize out of thin air. There's no spontaneous appearance of portal players.

At some point they were a highschool player, and at some point, they accepted a scholarship to play college football.

If anything recruiting highschool players becomes even more important, because that provides a relationship to leverage with players that didn't pick you the first time that enter the portal.
HS kids overall ARE at risk, but not solely due to the portal. Potential inbound transfers may limit the number of HS prospects an individual school reserves initial counter slots for, but while that may impact certain school choices, the aggregate number of scholarships remains largely intact. The only proviso is that a school can only add 7 slots to the initial counter limit of 25 no matter how many they lose to outbound transfers.

Where HS prospects ARE being significantly squeezed is the impact that the NCAA’s ruling granting an additional year of eligibility to every player while holding the total scholarship cap at 85. There are schools with open slots in the single digit this year. Had all of our players stayed and returned I believe we would have been limited to 8 initial counters.

"We’re hitting the portal hard," Babers said. "We have some vacant scholarships that we can give to some people who we think can help us win."

Babers pointed to tight end, wide receiver and secondary as groups that need to be bolstered, while quarterback could work with the right fit and the defensive line is lacking experience after five rotation players either exhausted their eligibility or transferred out.

"If we find a quarterback who we think can fit into our room, then we’ll bring that guy in," Babers said.

"Secondary wise, we could still bring some people in to help us," Babers said. "So many people are in four or five wide receivers sets, that you need to have a lot of depth back there. You just can't get down to the bottom of the barrel and expect to go against some of the offenses that we need to go against."

"We’re hitting the portal hard," Babers said. "We have some vacant scholarships that we can give to some people who we think can help us win."

Babers pointed to tight end, wide receiver and secondary as groups that need to be bolstered, while quarterback could work with the right fit and the defensive line is lacking experience after five rotation players either exhausted their eligibility or transferred out.

"If we find a quarterback who we think can fit into our room, then we’ll bring that guy in," Babers said.

"Secondary wise, we could still bring some people in to help us," Babers said. "So many people are in four or five wide receivers sets, that you need to have a lot of depth back there. You just can't get down to the bottom of the barrel and expect to go against some of the offenses that we need to go against."
Good to hear. Pound it Dino

Really, really interested in seeing if our new staff can entice a talented TE and WR to join either portal or post grad. Good times ahead that is for sure.

They might really like our young players.
On Cuse radio today, Babers was raving about the young defensive line guys that “we haven’t gotten to see play yet”. Went on to say “if you could see what some of these young guys are doing against our Oline in practice each day….”

Makes me feel a little more comfortable but still want a defensive end or 2 out of the portal.

I think we are fine for this upcoming season with talented defensive tackles in Fuentes, Lockett, Darton and Okechukwu can slide inside. That’s 4 solid guys for essentially one spot. A couple of these guys can also slide outside and I’m pretty sure the staff is very high on Greer and McDonald. Already have Linton and Okechukwu on the outside. I think Linton is gonna break out this year tbh. But I do think we need to add 1 or 2 defensive lineman especially at defensive end. Very confident in our linebackers. Very confident in our corners. I think Carter and Oliver will be studs at the safety spots but we need to get a couple guys for there too

It appears they have offered very few guys there compared to other positions.
But how do we know this, from tweets?

We don’t publicize our offers, so the info we get seems like it is from tweets. We know from Verse that SU didn’t want their offer publicized. Could they be doing this with other players? I don’t know. Or maybe they are gauging interest before they blindly offer.

Last edited:
On Cuse radio today, Babers was raving about the young defensive line guys that “we haven’t gotten to see play yet”. Went on to say “if you could see what some of these young guys are doing against our Oline in practice each day….”

Makes me feel a little more comfortable but still want a defensive end or 2 out of the portal.

I think we are fine for this upcoming season with talented defensive tackles in Fuentes, Lockett, Darton and Okechukwu can slide inside. That’s 4 solid guys for essentially one spot. A couple of these guys can also slide outside and I’m pretty sure the staff is very high on Greer and McDonald. Already have Linton and Okechukwu on the outside. I think Linton is gonna break out this year tbh. But I do think we need to add 1 or 2 defensive lineman especially at defensive end. Very confident in our linebackers. Very confident in our corners. I think Carter and Oliver will be studs at the safety spots but we need to get a couple guys for there too

If I had to guess, I'd expect the starting trio to be:

Okechukwu [Black]
Lockett [Williams]
Geer [Jonathan / Roscoe]

Fuentes and Darton give us a solid trio of DTs with the ability to get upfield and make plays. But there's no true run plugger in that group.

Good to hear about McDonald. I also hope that Chase Simmons takes a step forward.

If I had to guess, I'd expect the starting trio to be:

Okechukwu [Black]
Lockett [Williams]
Geer [Jonathan / Roscoe]

Fuentes and Darton give us a solid trio of DTs with the ability to get upfield and make plays. But there's no true run plugger in that group.

Good to hear about McDonald. I also hope that Chase Simmons takes a step forward.
Love me some Geer