Remarkable numbers for an offense that isn't playing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Remarkable numbers for an offense that isn't playing

some numbers are skewed by the 62 and 55 and 51 we put up early and two scores in Double Ot also help PPG at least. That said our productivity does seem amazing for an offense that doesn't seem like it's really working as the planner has designed it.

some numbers are skewed by the 62 and 55 and 51 we put up early and two scores in Double Ot also help PPG at least. That said our productivity does seem amazing for an offense that doesn't seem like it's really working as the planner has designed it.
every team that scores a lot has cupcakes that skew it

every team that scores a lot has cupcakes that skew it
I agree which is why I think the ppg average is not valid. I am more impressed with Purdue's 36 a game considering their non-league was Northwestern, BC, Missouri with Eastern Michigan as a non P5. That might not be 40 plus ppg but carries more weight with me.

A lot of casual su fans (not here) have no idea what this can become

The way Tommy abused UNC in limited play time was incredible. He would have thrown for over 400 yards if he would have replicated his fourth quarter performance the whole game.

Vertical passing will allow rushing, and intermediate throws to be so much easier. I cant wait to see the maturation of this offense to its intended form.

The way Tommy abused UNC in limited play time was incredible. He would have thrown for over 400 yards if he would have replicated his fourth quarter performance the whole game.

Vertical passing will allow rushing, and intermediate throws to be so much easier. I cant wait to see the maturation of this offense to its intended form.
this, this, a thousand time THIS

People don't understand to what degree Dungey's inaccuracy holds the offense back. A guy like Riley depends on being hit in stride to be able to hit a seam and make YAC. Johnson is in a similar boat. Custis could be unstoppable with his length on jump balls and slants - with the caveat that the ball is placed where only he can get it.

The receivers have taken a lot of flak, but I don't think a lot of it is deserved. Funny how we start to see lots of separation when Devito plays. At this level of football, sometimes you have a throw a guy open. The ball needs to be thrown before the break, because the window gets closed quickly as good DB's shut down gaps. I think our WR's get enough separation to be effective. The way Devito can rifle the ball and the way he makes quick decisions will make the WR's look really, really good. Once the defense has to really worry about guys going deep and guys hitting seams, the running lanes will get much, much bigger.

The lid is going to be blown off this offense soon. Just wait.

Tyler what’s ur thoughts on Td starting or Ed. I believe u played with ED correct. I think Td opens the whole arsenal more so than ED hurt.

I think 2019 will be good but watch out in 2020.

QB - DeVito
RB - Adams, Howard
WR - Jackson, Harris, Hendrix, N. Johnson

I know all these guys will be eligible next year but it’ll be the first year playing in the system for a couple of them. And that’s just off the top of my head.

Don’t think I’m crazy to think this could be a preseason Top 20-type team.

The offense will only be as good as the OL them to be.

Tyler what’s ur thoughts on Td starting or Ed. I believe u played with ED correct. I think Td opens the whole arsenal more so than ED hurt.

Julian Whigham and I will be discussing at length tomorrow on my podcast (shameless plug)

Anyway, Tommy needs to play from here on out. Knowing Eric, there is something really wrong. I am not sure what it is though. I love Eric, but what can I say, DeVito is a better QB right now. I was wrong going into the week thinking Eric would be "healed or better" post bye week.

Julian Whigham and I will be discussing at length tomorrow on my podcast (shameless plug)

Anyway, Tommy needs to play from here on out. Knowing Eric, there is something really wrong. I am not sure what it is though. I love Eric, but what can I say, DeVito is a better QB right now. I was wrong going into the week thinking Eric would be "healed or better" post bye week.
I figured as much and there is no doubt he is hurt. Totally agree.

I really want to see us get that sixth win, and more, so we can have that bowl game and that ED can get healed in the time between the end of the season and the game. It would be great to see him get to have that swan song game like guys like Marvin Harrison and Malcolm Thomas got in the bowl games at the end of their senior seasons, given everything he has meant to this program while we have been down.

Yup. That's my biggest concern. They're going to have the skill players to put up video game numbers, but really going to be interesting to see what happens with the OL. I don't think we can count on an absolute blessing falling in our lap again like Koda Martin did.

What I think happens.:
Servais slides to LT
Adams is a stud at LG
Heckel moves to C
Davis twins take over the right side.

If that is what happens it will be a big question mark on the right side. Who knows though they are pretty highly thought of so maybe no drop off? Plus you have wildcards like the development of Qaadir White? I would pencil in Michael Clark, but it makes me a bit nervous that he doesn't even travel with the squad. Maybe someone like Froumy surprises us. I believe he was a HS wrestler. I always like former wrestlers on the OL because they typically have a solid base and balance. I would think we will be trolling the post grad ranks for an OT. We aren't recruiting at a high enough level where you can count on a true freshman to start from day 1.

Yup. That's my biggest concern. They're going to have the skill players to put up video game numbers, but really going to be interesting to see what happens with the OL. I don't think we can count on an absolute blessing falling in our lap again like Koda Martin did.

What I think happens.:
Servais slides to LT
Adams is a stud at LG
Heckel moves to C

If that is what happens it will be a big question mark on the right side. Who knows though they are pretty highly thought of so maybe no drop off? Plus you have wildcards like the development of Qaadir White? I would pencil in Michael Clark, but it makes me a bit nervous that he doesn't even travel with the squad. Maybe someone like Froumy surprises us. I believe he was a HS wrestler. I always like former wrestlers on the OL because they typically have a solid base and balance. I would think we will be trolling the post grad ranks for an OT. We aren't recruiting at a high enough level where you can count on a true freshman to start from day 1.

Its funny -- after years of having decent interior OL but relatively weak tackles, our tackles are by far the strength of the line, but we're weak up the middle.

I wonder if Sampson would have found a niche, and helped improve our ability to run inside.

What I think happens.:
Servais slides to LT
Adams is a stud at LG
Heckel moves to C

Clark dressed for UNC. Looks like he's past whatever was keeping him out. You forgot Vettorello. 2 Games at LT this year. Offer last week to a JUCO OT.

Clark dressed for UNC. Looks like he's past whatever was keeping him out. You forgot Vettorello. 2 Games at LT this year. Offer last week to a JUCO OT.

That's right he slipped my mind. I guess it should tell us something too if he actually got some burn.

Last edited:
clark wasnt dressed he had a uniform top on though. unless another 11 clark is walking around on the sidelines too?

clark wasnt dressed he had a uniform top on though. unless another 11 clark is walking around on the sidelines too?

Different Clark. Does beg the question what is wrong with DClarke though. Concussion?

Agreed and that’s my biggest worry. A couple of years with our new OL coach should make a difference though.

I saw Clarke #11 greeting players on a good play.

On another note...RB's YPC for the past 2 games:

Neal 4.2 Pitt and 8.3 UNC Total = 17 for 104 6.1 YPC

Strickland 6.0 Pitt and 6.8 UNC Total = 12 for 75 6.25 YPC

Those are really good numbers and ones needed for this offense to click.

we scored 13 pts in 2 OT games across 7 games of the season so it helped us 2pts per game.. still not a ton of difference

Syracuse 2018:
Rushing attempts per game: 44. #16
Rushing % per game:52.8% #64
Rushing yards/game: 214.5. #29

Syracuse 2017:
Rushing attempts per game:39.8 #47
Rushing % per game: 45.34% #114
Rushing yards/game: 161.9. #63

Add in an Ish/Phillips combo, and fahgettaboutit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom