Remember Jimmy Lee | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Remember Jimmy Lee

Is my memory faulty, or did Jimmy Lee run the Fast Break Deli in the Wescott area in the late 70's/early 80's?

The release of the pigeons certainly happened. And then St John's won the game, which was a major bummer.

That was the first Syracuse game I ever went to. I remember the pigeons flying around the (manley) Dome after Sonny rattled home a couple of thunderous dunks to win the game. I thought the pigeons were always there but I supposed it's possbile the cheerleaders released them. it would have been a quesitonable thing to do in another school's arena. Richie Cornwall was the closest thing to Jimmy Lee on that team. I always thought it wa skind of too bad that Mike got kind of forgotten over the years in the wake of Jim's heroics at the end of his seniro eyar. Both were fine players, Mike a 6-3 forward, (when you could be a 6-3 forward who could score inside and out and was a good reboudner for his size. Jimmy was a deadly ourside shooter but not with GMAC's, ( or Kid Kohl's) range. Both drew a lot of charges on what Joel Mareiness called "the seat of the pants slide". But what I remember most aobut Jimmy was the "stop and pop". We'd be running a fast break and they'd get the ball to Jim. While the defenders ran to the bakset he'd pull up and sink a jumper. He must have shot 90% on those.

"We made that great rally and his last second shot to win it spun around the rim for an eternity before spinning out."

We lost to Louisville 96-88 in that consolation game. We were getting blown out in the first half and I remember Joel saying that we looked tired. Then we made it respectful.

That we made the final four came as a total surprise to everyone. In fact they called us Cinderella as stated on the video.

We started our march to San Diego by first beating La Salle 87-80 in the East. Then came that thrilling win against Dean Smith and North Carolina 78-76. The ending had every Syracuse fan cringing. I think it was Bob Parker ran the baseline on an SU inbounds play and slammed into a Carolina defender. At first it looked like a foul against Syracuse but there was no call. We held on and won the game.

We then beat Kansas St 95-87. I think they had a player, Chuckie Evans who had an awful looking mask on.

Back in those days only 32 teams made the field.

Then came our 95-79 loss to Kentucky.

BTW, Jimmy Lee was the leading scorer that year in the NCAA's he tallied 119 points

It was Bobby Parker, may he RIP, than ran over Mitch Kupchak. I met Mitch at some BET reception a few years back and brought up that play. He was still pissed about the no-call.

Agree with Bees, in that Kid Kohls was the best pure shooter.

He was the best Syracuse shooter I ever saw.
And great outside/inside combo with Rudy Hackett.

Would love to see the video of the Final 4 consolation game in '75 against Louisville with Junior Bridgeman and Allen Murphy.
Jimmy Lee couldn't buy a hoop in the first half and then couldn't miss in the 2nd.
We made that great rally and his last second shot to win it spun around the rim for an eternity before spinning out.
Had to listen to the radio call.
Joel Mareinnis made it sound like half an hour before the shot fell out.

Arpound and around and around and...out

It was Bobby Parker, may he RIP, than ran over Mitch Kupchak. I met Mitch at some BET reception a few years back and brought up that play. He was still pissed about the no-call.

When did Parker die?

Is my memory faulty, or did Jimmy Lee run the Fast Break Deli in the Wescott area in the late 70's/early 80's?

Right into the early-'90s, I think. Best wings around. Became Dorian's after it was sold.

Sucker Play, the Ref called it right, and it would be a Foul on Crapchak in todays game

Remember when Jimmy played for Roys Runts. Played St. John's in Manley Field House. They had All-American Sonny Dove. When St. John cheerleaders intoduced him they let a crate full of pidgeons (aka doves) fly out into the arena. Fans went beserk. I think one bird flew into the crowd and was not treated too well. The others flew to the roof and it wasn't til the summer that they finally got them all out of the place.
Sonny Dove Graduated in 1967 from St. Johns

"We made that great rally and his last second shot to win it spun around the rim for an eternity before spinning out."

We lost to Louisville 96-88 in that consolation game. We were getting blown out in the first half and I remember Joel saying that we looked tired. Then we made it respectful.

That we made the final four came as a total surprise to everyone. In fact they called us Cinderella as stated on the video.

We started our march to San Diego by first beating La Salle 87-80 in the East. Then came that thrilling win against Dean Smith and North Carolina 78-76. The ending had every Syracuse fan cringing. I think it was Bob Parker ran the baseline on an SU inbounds play and slammed into a Carolina defender. At first it looked like a foul against Syracuse but there was no call. We held on and won the game.

We then beat Kansas St 95-87. I think they had a player, Chuckie Evans who had an awful looking mask on.

Back in those days only 32 teams made the field.

Then came our 95-79 loss to Kentucky.

BTW, Jimmy Lee was the leading scorer that year in the NCAA's he tallied 119 points
Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant Kobe's Father missed a Big shot at the end , Kevin King Lasalle Transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom