Remember when I said the coaching staff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Remember when I said the coaching staff

re watching that presser this morning makes me even angrier. not once does JB own up to even one scintilla of guilt himself for the loss. instead he just blames his players. basically saying "we can't make shots and roberson blows"

re watching that presser this morning makes me even angrier. not once does JB own up to even one scintilla of guilt himself for the loss. instead he just blames his players. basically saying "we can't make shots and roberson blows"
Well? I mean the shooting woes really have me wondering what we do in practice, but at the end of the day the players gotta play

Let's be real, nothing he does next year is getting him into the NBA higher than maybe the D-League unless he develops a reliable 3 point shot out of nowhere. He's a tweener 3/4 with no handle or jumpshot. What he does have is insane athleticism and tenacity (when he wants). I don't think that gets him into today's NBA.

He does have the talent to make a really nice living overseas. That's got to be what this is about. Surely he's not being told NBA?

What's he supposed to do? He can't make shots for the players or make Roberson not be a head case.

Let's be real, nothing he does next year is getting him into the NBA higher than maybe the D-League unless he develops a reliable 3 point shot out of nowhere. He's a tweener 3/4 with no handle or jumpshot. What he does have is insane athleticism and tenacity (when he wants). I don't think that gets him into today's NBA.

He does have the talent to make a really nice living overseas. That's got to be what this is about. Surely he's not being told NBA?

He's 0-10 career from beyond the arc.

He went 0-5 as a frosh, and he quickly learned that everytime he jacked up an ill-advised 3, he ended up sitting.

0-3 as a soph, and 0-2 this year (hopefully both of them were desperation attempts as the shot clock expired).

He's not really an outside guy. He'll have to make his money from underneath.

He's 0-10 career from beyond the arc.

He went 0-5 as a frosh, and he quickly learned that everytime he jacked up an ill-advised 3, he ended up sitting.

0-3 as a soph, and 0-2 this year (hopefully both of them were desperation attempts as the shot clock expired).

He's not really an outside guy. He'll have to make his money from underneath.
I agree but that skill set doesn't translate to today's NBA. In a league with Draymond Green, Kevin Love, Chris Bosh, Kristaps Porzingis etc as PF's, I don't see where an undersized PF with no jumpshot fits in.

I agree but that skill set doesn't translate to today's NBA. In a league with Draymond Green, Kevin Love, Chris Bosh, Kristaps Porzingis etc as PF's, I don't see where an undersized PF with no jumpshot fits in.

Unless it's a non-stop motor guy like a Kenneth Farried, who is just all over the place. Roberson only plays like that about 25% of the games though, which doesn't cut it.

Roberson wouldn't get drafted if the NBA Draft had 4 rounds.

This is ridiculous. I mean the kid is a solid junkyard type college basketball player but his game doesn't translate to the NBA at all. He can't shoot the ball and is undersized.

Roberson is way more likely to be asked to leave a la Paul Harris rather than decide on his own to go Pro.

If Roberson thinks he is a finished college product then either our coaching staff has done an awful job developing him or he wants to play basketball overseas.

I also think the Roberson experiment underlies something I hope the coaching staff pays attention to... The rise of stretch 4's.

Look how dangerous we are with Lydon out there at PF. Unless we can pair a 6'10 or taller PF and C both with athleticism, I think the days of having two post players is over.

I wish Roberson the best and think he's been unfairly dogged during his time here but our lineup might be scarier without him next year.

Howard/Battle/Richardson/Lydon/Chukwu is a filthy lineup. Of course this means we need to bring in another guard and possibly big man to go along with Moyer off the bench. Would this make us more appetizing to a grad transfer guard?

Does he think he is a "poor man's" Rodmen. A rebounder with no offense? If so, he'll be a VERY poor man.

Does he think he is a "poor man's" Rodmen. A rebounder with no offense? If so, he'll be a VERY poor man.
Rodman also played all-NBA defensive team level defense. He guarded Bird better than anyone and neutralized Karl Malone.

Rodman went for rebounding stats for the glory of the rebounding titles. He could have tried to score more but wanted to go for rebounds. Roberson can't shoot so he has to be a rebounder to help on offense if he isn't pick and rolling.

No clue what anyone is telling him, but it's clear that Roberson could find a job overseas if that's what he chose to do. I mean we all assume every player either is a NBA lock or stays to earn their degree, but it's not the end goal for a lot of them.

Devil's advocate here- you are a family member/friend/future agent of Roberson, and you look to 16-17 when SU will have Lydon, Richardson, Moyer, and maybe Thompson available for minutes at the 3/4. (It's a stretch, but DC could possible play the 4 next to Chukwu against big teams). You know Tyler's offensive game is limited, his "motor" is off and on, and his HC will have other options to use, maybe you think his value isn't going to improve so you start filling him with the thoughts of turning pro? Is it the best move, probably not, but we've seen it before, and we will certainly see it again.

Well? I mean the shooting woes really have me wondering what we do in practice, but at the end of the day the players gotta play

We have 4 players with over 50 - 3 pt attempts shooting 35% or over, our team's three point % is over 36%, that's not the real issue. We're good enough there, the issue is our lack of balance. We are horrible from the 2, we have a very poor inside game. We are in the bottom third of the NCAA in 2 point field goal %.

We need above average production from the 3 point line from multiple players in each game to overcome our inside weaknesses. As many smarter people than me have pointed out, our lack of a true point guard, inside slasher and/or inside presence has put the pressure on relying upon our 3 point scoring.

No clue what anyone is telling him, but it's clear that Roberson could find a job overseas if that's what he chose to do. I mean we all assume every player either is a NBA lock or stays to earn their degree, but it's not the end goal for a lot of them.

Devil's advocate here- you are a family member/friend/future agent of Roberson, and you look to 16-17 when SU will have Lydon, Richardson, Moyer, and maybe Thompson available for minutes at the 3/4. (It's a stretch, but DC could possible play the 4 next to Chukwu against big teams). You know Tyler's offensive game is limited, his "motor" is off and on, and his HC will have other options to use, maybe you think his value isn't going to improve so you start filling him with the thoughts of turning pro? Is it the best move, probably not, but we've seen it before, and we will certainly see it again.

If he plays like he does half of the time as he does with us there is no league that would take him.

The dude has obvious talent, but when he's not on I don't think he could play for a high level high school team.

dasher said:
had lost confidence in Joseph? Well, and this is once again this is not my opinion , but don't be surprised if Roberson isn't back next year? Are you saying transfer Dash? Nope. Believe it or not, and please don't hurt yourself rolling over in laughter, Roberson could go pro early. This has nothing to do with today. He has people close to him that want him to declare for the draft. I kid you not. These same people thought he would be a one and done. Have they ever watched a NBA game?

Not new news. There's been that chance for awhile. It's one of the reasons, but not the only, I keep saying Moyer starts.

If Roberts can get a pro job after 10 years and I don't know how many knee surgeries, so can Roberson. He's not going to play for a EuroSuper League (or whatever it's called) team, but he'd land a job overseas that pays decent money to play basketball.

any team can win when they "make shots". doesn't take a HOFer to figure that out. our shot selection may be the issue.

I'd hope people close to me knew I could do much better, would tell me to get in Rak beast mode, work my tail off, and to face reality knowing it's the end of talk about development, potential, future etc because it's now or never vs just settling.

Roberson wouldn't get drafted if the NBA Draft had 4 rounds.

This is ridiculous. I mean the kid is a solid junkyard type college basketball player but his game doesn't translate to the NBA at all. He can't shoot the ball and is undersized.

Roberson is way more likely to be asked to leave a la Paul Harris rather than decide on his own to go Pro.

If Roberson thinks he is a finished college product then either our coaching staff has done an awful job developing him or he wants to play basketball overseas.
Some of these kids are just delusional. TR is no way an NBA Or even Euro league player right now. Can't see him being asked to leave. He's a good kid, never in any trouble. Plus we have no depth as it is. Moyer is the only forward backup to TR and Lydon next year. JB just trying to light a fire under TR to play harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom