Remember When... John Thompson Got Three Technicals | Syracusefan.com

Remember When... John Thompson Got Three Technicals

I was at that game. It was the best time I ever had in the dome. Also may be the loudest I have ever heard the dome in my life. It was absolutely fantastic!!!!!

I was at that game. It was the best time I ever had in the dome. Also may be the loudest I have ever heard the dome in my life. It was absolutely fantastic!!!!!
Yep. This, McNabb's last, Owen's 2 pointer and Brominski's 2 pointer are the 4 loudest Dome events I know of.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I was there. Will never forget it. John Thompson waving his towel at the screaming crowd as he was ejected. Awesome!

I felt like this game shifted the dynamic of the rivalry. Georgetown was a national power in the 80s and dominated the head to head series with SU in that first decade of the Big East era. As we entered a new decade though things would change. Earlier in that season, SU had gone down to DC and blown out the Hoyas on their home turf, the first time they'd won @ Gtown IIRC since the formation of the league. And in this season ending showdown, DC and Stevie's senior day, it still felt like the same old result until a couple of unusual events. The Thompson technical tirade which led to a 10 point swing gave SU some life, but things still weren't looking good in those final seconds of regulation, only to be bailed out by Owens drawing a foul as he was making a mad dash at mid court for a final desperation shot down 2. Even at that point things were not looking good as Billy still had to sink two free throws to tie the game, an aspect of the game that SU isn't exactly known for excelling at. Gtown had won 7 of 8 vs SU to close out the 80s; these two wins were the start of a 5 game winning streak vs the Hoyas over the next few years, a huge shift at a time when any sort of winning streak vs Gtown was rare, and SU has gone on to pretty much dominate the series ever since.

This made me think of my favorite Cuse/G-town moment from games I've attended. Oddly enough, it is not the one in 2004 when GMac hit the shot at the buzzer... My freshman year (95-96) we got blown out at Georgetown (I think it was a blowout). We were playing them in the Dome when Boeheim and Thompson were arguing with the refs. Thompson jockingly pushed Boeheim. The crowd roared and I screamed "C'mon Jimmy, you can take him!" Looking back on it now, I'm glad Boeheim didn't try to fight Thompson.

This made me think of my favorite Cuse/G-town moment from games I've attended. Oddly enough, it is not the one in 2004 when GMac hit the shot at the buzzer... My freshman year (95-96) we got blown out at Georgetown (I think it was a blowout). We were playing them in the Dome when Boeheim and Thompson were arguing with the refs. Thompson jockingly pushed Boeheim. The crowd roared and I screamed "C'mon Jimmy, you can take him!" Looking back on it now, I'm glad Boeheim didn't try to fight Thompson.

That game was a lot of fun. Z got the better of Iverson and we won by a lot. Pretty sure Elimu Nelson scored our last bucket that afternoon.

su-gt-1990.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom