Reports that SEC has turned down WFVU's application | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reports that SEC has turned down WFVU's application

I am so glad someone else refers to them as WFVU.

The WFVU sweatshirt pick cracks me up every time.

ACC will not accept WFVU, unless they get raided hard (real hard) by the SEC/Big 10. Even then they may be not be cool with WFVU.

I would MUCH rather have WVU than Rutgers. Not only because they are far better in basketball and football, but also because what will become of the Schwartzwalder Trophy if we're no longer playing them every year? I hate losing our biggest rivals in this move. That's really the only problem I have with this move.
The WVU/SU rivalry hasn't been rival for awhile.

I don't care what these stupid stats say. WVU has a damn good football program and an above average hoops program with Huggie. They have great attendance and fan support. They bring a hell of a lot more than Rutgers. Bend the academics a little and get them in the ACC with us.
WVU does have a rapid fan base versus Rutgers, but Rutgers also has the state of NJ which is rich in talent for bball and fball, as well as close proximity to large television markets. If you were making a business decision, it would have to be Rutgers based on those things. If you were making a decision purely on sports/fans, it would be overwhelmingly WVU.

Everyone seems to rail on WVU's academics. Is there any basis in fact that their academics are poor?

Seems like all the discussion is that they are poor (really, I have no clue). But given that all the discussion seems to trend toward it being poor by comparison to other ACC schools, I would turn your question around and ask if there is any basis in fact that their academics are strong?

Seems like all the discussion is that they are poor (really, I have no clue). But given that all the discussion seems to trend toward it being poor by comparison to other ACC schools, I would turn your question around and ask if there is any basis in fact that their academics are strong?

I read somewhere today (can't keep track of where anymore) that by the infamous USN&WR ranking, WVU would be the worst school in the SEC. Repeat, worst in the SEC.

I know those rankings are total junk, but directionally speaking they seem to reflect the biases of snooty academics. The kinds at Duke, UVA, etc who wouldn't want to associate with WVU.

Everyone seems to rail on WVU's academics. Is there any basis in fact that their academics are poor?

I don't think their academics are poor, but from what I've read, they just aren't up to the ACC standards, which seem to be "top 100" universities.

This is going to be really sad if WFVU gets left out in the cold.

Ah, whatever. I'm over it. Hey fellas, if you need to get warm you know what to do.

/couch burning joke

What, like FSU, VPI and Miami are Harvard, Princeton and Yale?

What, like FSU, VPI and Miami are Harvard, Princeton and Yale?

Miami actually has a very good reputation.

FSU and VT are still ranked well above WVU.

This could be VERY bad news for Rutgers, but I have to believe that WVU's academics will be heavily scrutinized if they are to "apply" to the ACC.
i bet it has already been scutinized

I hope WVU lands some where in one of the 4 major conferences. They deserve to be at the table some where more than some others like Rutgers based upon on the field / court performance and bringing revenue into the conference.

:rolling:

In West Virginia's defense, the ACC shouldn't necessarily hold its nose at the Mounties, who have recently been able to win BCS bowls without trying to stack their rosters through recruiting improprieties. Not on the scale of UNC and Miami's recent issues, anyway.

FTR- UNC hasn't been accused of ANY "recruiting improprieties". Our issues have been a combination of getting cozy w/ NFL agents, and some rogue tutoring (remarkably mundane stuff if you look at the actual facts). Now Miami's a different story...

It will be the ACC loss if they do not add WV. They will be bigger losers should they add Rutgers. As mentioned before WV athletic heritage and success is much richer than Rutgers. Yeah RU played the first and Paul Robeson played there after that zilch. F the myth about the NY market its just that a myth. NY is a pro town, the Yankees are usually playing thru the early fall. Then you have the Jets and Giants. Then its basketball season then the NHL. Very little time for collegiate football and no time for RU. Its about product the SEC has TV markets like Lil Rock and Dog Patch MS but they sell a damn good product. The ACC should take notice. They still are the runts in all of this. They should take every oppurtunity to improve their product.

I read somewhere yesterday that WVU has already moved on from the idea of the ACC because they understood they did not meet the profile that the ACC was looking for.

I find it rather funny that the SEC suddenly cares about things like location of the school, population of the state, and TV markets. The vast majority of schools in the SEC are located in barren, sparsely populated sections of the country with limited TV market appeal.

I think the SEC doesn't want to pull the trigger on WVU just yet because they are hoping they can reel in a bigger fish. WVU is their safety net (aka 16th member) if and only if they can't find anybody better.

WVU, UConn and RU are all in similar positions right now. Waiting for the chairs to fill up by other bigger, more powerful and appealing schools, and hope and pray a chair will be left for them when the music stops.

It's been said before, if you could relocated WVU to Jersey or Connecticut, and bump up their academic reputation a bit, they would have been swiped up already.
Um, what? Don't tell me you're serious. SEC areas usually have the highest ratings numbers in the country for college football games, not to mention it is the fastest growing region in the nation right now.

FTR- UNC hasn't been accused of ANY "recruiting improprieties". Our issues have been a combination of getting cozy w/ NFL agents, and some rogue tutoring (remarkably mundane stuff if you look at the actual facts). Now Miami's a different story...
Heel, are you kidding? When your successful FB coach gets fired, that is not a reaction to 'mundane stuff' - surely it must be serious?

Heel, are you kidding? When your successful FB coach gets fired, that is not a reaction to 'mundane stuff' - surely it must be serious?
The poster is simply overlooking some academic fraud. I wonder why s/he would do that?

Miami actually has a very good reputation.

FSU and VT are still ranked well above WVU.

Tech also has a pretty good reputation because they have one of the best engineering programs around... FSU, not so much

Tech also has a pretty good reputation because they have one of the best engineering programs around... FSU, not so much
Tech might have a good engineering program, but it's a state school with a pretty poor reputation.

Sad, guess it back to their cousins. :p

resize