Restaurant recommendations for the road warriors | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Restaurant recommendations for the road warriors

I'll do Alexandria, VA:

Nice breakfast - Jackson 20, Morrison House
Bad diner breakfast you always come back to - Royal Diner
Sushi - Momo
Casual Italian - Mia's Italian Kitchen
Nice Italian - Landini Brothers (also a great steak and Oysters Rock)
Bar for Southern type food and Sports - Southside
Pizza - Faccia Luna, or across town at Valentino's
Ice cream - buy some Breyers, way too expensive
French - Le Refuge (but it's been a while)
Place to run into Obama - Vermillion
Place to run into John Boehner - Ramparts
Greek - Vaso's Kitchen
Irish - Murphy
Subs - The Italian Place of Old Town
Seafood - Hanks
Places to avoid at all costs - Blackwall Hitch, Chart House
BBQ - Rocklands

I would definitely second Mia's as well; that was a nice recent addition to the Old Town scene. I went there quite a few times when I still worked at City Hall. Word to the wise: if you decide to order pizza by the slice here, one slice is more like two slices, so don't go crazy with it haha.

How does Rocklands compare to Dinosaur up in Syracuse? I haven't tried Rocklands but I had Myron Mixon's numerous times when I worked at City Hall due to its proximity and its yelp reviews and while it hit the spot when I was craving BBQ, I think Upstate NY's BBQ is significantly better personally.

As far as ice cream goes, it is a bit pricey, but I think Nicecream is worth the splurge; it's cool to see them make it with nitrogen and fill the place with fog and the texture that they get on their ice cream is perfect. Also got me to expand my ice cream tastes since they often don't have the standard vanilla/chocolate flavors. I've been there a ton at this point: my girlfriend's favorite flavor is their Nutella ice cream (she's from Australia and Nutella was a huge part of her childhood) and I think the best I've had was a cinnamon pear flavor.

Last edited:
Excellent. Got anything for me out by Dulles?

I don't really know the food scene out there, but if you have time for it, there's some beautiful wineries and some good breweries like 30-40 minutes away. Bluemont is my personal favorite winery out there, mainly due to the view you get. They have some flatbread pizzas and charcuterie and stuff like that there as far as food goes.

My favorite brewery that I've been to out there is B Chord Brewing; it looks like nothing, I think it's literally inside a barn or something like that, but the beer was very good (coming from my father-in-law, who is a huge beer connoisseur, and myself, who is not at all) and the two times I've been they had some fun live music to entertain.

As far as restaurants near Dulles go, like I said, I haven't tried their food scene myself. The only three places I've really heard anything about are Wooboi's (chicken sandwiches), Nunu's (thai), and UMAI (ramen). Seems like they're all very well-liked on Yelp as well, but maybe Bayside can chime in with more recommendations.

I don't really know the food scene out there, but if you have time for it, there's some beautiful wineries and some good breweries like 30-40 minutes away. Bluemont is my personal favorite winery out there, mainly due to the view you get. They have some flatbread pizzas and charcuterie and stuff like that there as far as food goes.

My favorite brewery that I've been to out there is B Chord Brewing; it looks like nothing, I think it's literally inside a barn or something like that, but the beer was very good (coming from my father-in-law, who is a huge beer connoisseur, and myself, who is not at all) and the two times I've been they had some fun live music to entertain.

As far as restaurants near Dulles go, like I said, I haven't tried their food scene myself. The only three places I've really heard anything about are Wooboi's (chicken sandwiches), Nunu's (thai), and UMAI (ramen). Seems like they're all very well-liked on Yelp as well, but maybe Bayside can chime in with more recommendations.

If I'm out at Dulles I am either really lost or at a kid's sports game that got poorly scheduled...

I would definitely second Mia's as well; that was a nice recent addition to the Old Town scene. I went there quite a few times when I still worked at City Hall. Word to the wise: if you decide to order pizza by the slice here, one slice is more like two slices, so don't go crazy with it haha.

How does Rocklands compare to Dinosaur up in Syracuse? I haven't tried Rocklands but I had Myron Mixon's numerous times when I worked at City Hall due to its proximity and its yelp reviews and while it hit the spot when I was craving BBQ, I think Upstate NY's BBQ is significantly better personally.

As far as ice cream goes, it is a bit pricey, but I think Nicecream is worth the splurge; it's cool to see them make it with nitrogen and fill the place with fog and the texture that they get on their ice cream is perfect. Also got me to expand my ice cream tastes since they often don't have the standard vanilla/chocolate flavors. I've been there a ton at this point: my girlfriend's favorite flavor is their Nutella ice cream (she's from Australia and Nutella was a huge part of her childhood) and I think the best I've had was a cinnamon pear flavor.

Hard to say on the BBQ. My Dino trips are rare and different, happy to be back in Cuse and usually have a few beers quickly. Rocklands is one of the go to's if you need BBQ catered. The going to DIno experience is far more fun. Mixon's is fine. I'm not a BBQ fanatic though so probably the wrong person to ask.

The day we played UNC in the FF I stopped in Pops with two of the kids. Three milkshakes 24 dollars. But yeah there are some nice gellato type places here. Haven't checked out Nicecream but looks intriguing.

If I'm out at Dulles I am either really lost or at a kid's sports game that got poorly scheduled...

Hahaha, yeah, I only head out that way to take guests to the wineries or if I absolutely must for a flight. I currently live like 5 minutes from Reagan so I try to fly out of there as often as I possibly can but I've definitely had to do Dulles a few times.

Back when I first moved down there, Rocklands was the BBQ game in DC. Used to go to the Glover Park location once in awhile. It's fine, I've had way worse. I don't think it's as good as Dino. (Or wasn't then, at least. I haven't been in at least 10 years.) In my time there, the best BBQ I remember was Urban BBQ up in Rockville. Old Glory in Georgetown was pretty good, but that was more of a late-night stop (read: anything would have tasted good after that many beers). And anyway I think they've closed.

Do you have a car? Find a quiet time on the weekend and go down to Woodbridge to Dixie Bones. The owner's from Alabama, IIRC, and they do a brunch buffet on the weekends (maybe just Sunday) that's interesting. And their whole menu is good. Most notable, it's a little different from a lot of the BBQ out there.

From when I have gotten down there in the past few years, since the restaurant scene has really blown up, I've enjoyed Fat Pete's (when I lived in Cleveland Park this was a McDonald's...big upgrade, IMO) and Garden District (on 14th Street south of U). People like DCity and Federalist Pig, but I haven't been to either. And I think there's a Hill Country in Chinatown still? I've never been to the DC location but I've had it elsewhere and, though it's hit or miss, it's really good when the brisket is fresh.

Back when I first moved down there, Rocklands was the BBQ game in DC. Used to go to the Glover Park location once in awhile. It's fine, I've had way worse. I don't think it's as good as Dino. (Or wasn't then, at least. I haven't been in at least 10 years.) In my time there, the best BBQ I remember was Urban BBQ up in Rockville. Old Glory in Georgetown was pretty good, but that was more of a late-night stop (read: anything would have tasted good after that many beers). And anyway I think they've closed.

Do you have a car? Find a quiet time on the weekend and go down to Woodbridge to Dixie Bones. The owner's from Alabama, IIRC, and they do a brunch buffet on the weekends (maybe just Sunday) that's interesting. And their whole menu is good. Most notable, it's a little different from a lot of the BBQ out there.

From when I have gotten down there in the past few years, since the restaurant scene has really blown up, I've enjoyed Fat Pete's (when I lived in Cleveland Park this was a McDonald's...big upgrade, IMO) and Garden District (on 14th Street south of U). People like DCity and Federalist Pig, but I haven't been to either. And I think there's a Hill Country in Chinatown still? I've never been to the DC location but I've had it elsewhere and, though it's hit or miss, it's really good when the brisket is fresh.

The Dixie Bones people are legit. Getting to Woodbridge and avoiding traffic on weekends...

Hill Country is still around.

The Dixie Bones people are legit. Getting to Woodbridge and avoiding traffic on weekends...

Hill Country is still around.

Yeah, this was the main problem -- committing half a day to fight 95 traffic, possibly wait for a table, and then drive all the way back into town with a wicked case of the itis.

Heading to Tampa Bay? Key West?

Tampa Best Cuban Fancy
Columbia Restaurant

Informal Cuban best one is actually between Sarasota and Bradenton
Mirna's

Best Steak located at St Pete Beach
MadFish

Best Chill Beach Bar and Restaurant
Great Wings, Beef on Weck, etc...
$2 Landshark Pint Drafts, has Genny Cream Ale on Draft for $3 a pint
O'Maddys in Gulfport

Best Old School Florida Pub
Not in Tampa Area but about 25 miles east of Key West on Deer Key
A throwback to old Florida. The is good not great but the vibe is cool and a unique place you will remember. Getting there used to be tough but no GPS makes it easy.

Great Value on Key West
Mangia Mangia in Key West. A short drive from the touristy spots
Excellent food for decent prices (for Key West)

Last edited:
I've been going to diners my entire life. I always thought, pre internet days, that I would write a book about diners.
Diners are great - breakfast any time.

Is the Latham Diner still around? That was my go to diner when I lived in the Capital District.

Diners are great - breakfast any time.

Is the Latham Diner still around? That was my go to diner when I lived in the Capital District.
Yup. Been there for a long time. Always a favorite.

The two best CNY restaurants I've eaten at in the last year are Moro's Kitchen in Skaneateles and Eden in Hanover Square.

The two best CNY restaurants I've eaten at in the last year are Moro's Kitchen in Skaneateles and Eden in Hanover Square.

I start a new job March 2nd and will be in Cuse next weekend. The wife wants to take me out for a celebratory dinner. Haven't been to Eden yet, so was thinking that would be my pick for dinner. Since you live close by, have you tried St. Urban off of Westcott? I've heard some good things.

I start a new job March 2nd and will be in Cuse next weekend. The wife wants to take me out for a celebratory dinner. Haven't been to Eden yet, so was thinking that would be my pick for dinner. Since you live close by, have you tried St. Urban off of Westcott? I've heard some good things.

I have once, solo, a little after they opened. It's excellent. Try for a reservation there if you can, last we checked they were a month out on reservations. But don't let that scare you away, you never know.

And if you can't get in, Eden is an awesome back-up. And congrats on the new job!

Heading to Tampa Bay? Key West?

Tampa Best Cuban Fancy
Columbia Restaurant

Informal Cuban best one is actually between Sarasota and Bradenton
Mirna's

Best Steak located at St Pete Beach
MadFish

Best Chill Beach Bar and Restaurant
Great Wings, Beef on Weck, etc...
$2 Landshark Pint Drafts, has Genny Cream Ale on Draft for $3 a pint
O'Maddys in Gulfport

Best Old School Florida Pub
Not in Tampa Area but about 25 miles east of Key West on Deer Key
A throwback to old Florida. The is good not great but the vibe is cool and a unique place you will remember. Getting there used to be tough but no GPS makes it easy.

Great Value on Key West
Mangia Mangia in Key West. A short drive from the touristy spots
Excellent food for decent prices (for Key West)

The Columbia in Tampa is awesome. Big restaurant with Spanish architecture influences. I am not a salad guy but their 1905 salad is the best I have ever had. Great fresh bread too. They have them all over Florida. One is in Clearwater Beach, right on the water. One is in Celebration. And another in Sarasota, on St Armands Circle. Like Mark says, if you like Cuban food, check it out. Or check if out if you just like a fresh salad with a home made awesome dressing and hot, fresh, crusty bread.

I have once, solo, a little after they opened. It's excellent. Try for a reservation there if you can, last we checked they were a month out on reservations. But don't let that scare you away, you never know.

And if you can't get in, Eden is an awesome back-up. And congrats on the new job!

Good to know! And thanks!

The Columbia in Tampa is awesome. Big restaurant with Spanish architecture influences. I am not a salad guy but their 1905 salad is the best I have ever had. Great fresh bread too. They have them all over Florida. One is in Clearwater Beach, right on the water. One is in Celebration. And another in Sarasota, on St Armands Circle. Like Mark says, if you like Cuban food, check it out. Or check if out if you just like a fresh salad with a home made awesome dressing and hot, fresh, crusty bread.
One in old Town St. Augustine too. BTW, a really cool town.

If you find yourself in Utica and need some Italian I highly recommend Bella Regina. The fried chicken riggies might be the best thing I've ever tasted.

If you're a little farther north in Lake Placid, Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood is an awesome steakhouse