Rewatched the game last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rewatched the game last night

First of all, it feels terrific to win a road game like this, where we had to overcome adversity. We've been SO CLOSE these past three games, nice to finally get one to go our way. I have a feeling that this victory catapults us momentum-wise into what will eventually be viewed as the highly successful Garrett Shrader era of Syracuse football. Kid is going to be a problem for our opponents [he already is].

A couple of quick observations:

• Virginia Tech players are a bunch of punks. Especially #31 [Peoples], who was jawing and shoving -- uncalled of course -- after many plays. They had an OL also try to draw personal foul penalty after a play by pretending that he'd been shoved and falling down. Honestly, they act like Miami-lite out there -- glad we handed them a defeat.

• Tucker continues to impress. VT sold out to take him away in the second half, and that's when things open up with Shrader / the passing game. Speaking of which...

• The passing game is emerging. Against Liberty, the coaches didn't trust Shrader to throw, and played it as conservative as possible. He's proving now that he can throw just enough to keep defenses honest.

• Too many big play runs. I didn't notice McKinley Williams playing today, so maybe we were "soft" inside. We haven't given up those types of explosive plays all year long.

• The final possession at the end of the first half was absurd. Enough said.

• Given how the last few games have unfolded, I wouldn't have been remotely surprised if the special teams kicking miscues would have cost us the game. To let them return a blocked XP for a 2 point safety, and to come away empty at the end of the first half -- that was a lot to overcome. I was sweating out those two points at the end, prior to Shrader's / Alford's heroics -- could have cost us the game.

• Seemed like we were toast when we went down two scores. Kudos to our offense for getting a TD, and then using timeouts properly to force them to punt the ball back. Hanna had a huge, huge sack on 3rd down.

• Can't say enough about Shrader's play down the stretch. Moving the sticks, getting out of bounds, finding a way to pick up first downs, etc. And to say that he hung in the pocket on that last throw would be a massive understatement -- kid got crushed, but hung in there to make the best possible throw.

• Alford... wow. That VT defender never even knew that the ball was coming. Still can't believe it.

• VT has always been one of the schools I've loathed the most. Happy to see all of their dejected fans walk out in stunned silence.

• Huge game next week against BC -- must win. Need to gut it out at all costs to get the "W." Then, we have a much-needed bye week to rest, recuperate, and heal up for the stretch run.

Let's Go Orange!!!
Good point. I agree about Va Tech. It's not quite the same w Beamer and all his excuses retired, but they are one opponent I really get excited to play. We've had a lot of exciting games with them. I'd love to be able to play them every year.

I too thought Williams got the blocked extra point and was clearly down but no whistle was blown and we all know how that turned out. The PI call on Deuce at the end was blatant BS as was the overturn of the catch by Queely. I assume our AD and HC will be sending yet another greatest hits to the ACC head office but I expect more really bad calls to go against us in every remaining game. That said, this staff has to clean up the idiotic penalties. Every game we shoot ourselves in the foot.
Ya know Since I’ve decided to simply expect the worst biased calls against us it’s actually made it less frustrating. The fix is in simple as that, it now is what it is.

The extra point I’m pretty sure should have been blown dead. McKinnley had possession. I think it’s blown dead there, but if not he fumbled after hitting the ground. Too bad about that.

half- 8 seconds two time outs should have been at least one running attempt. They really butchered that and there’s no defending what happened. On the flip side, we won an awesome game and too many people are focused on the bad and not the good. It’s weird.

last we largely went with a 3 man front of McKinley Black and Roscoe. I didn’t see Harper, I didn’t see Lockett, I didn’t see Oku and at some point Linton went off injured. It was hard for me to get a handle on who played DLine and how much. But Williams played the whole game at nose I’m pretty sure.

I think Cole was injured yesterday to besides Vet and Linton. We’re in rough shape right now.
all those guys played on the DL.

didn't catch the game. just watched the highlights. man #26 aman greenwood has a handful of jersey in the end zone on that last hail mary toss. who says we never catch a break in the acc ? i see the condensed version is up on youtube and will try to catch when i finish my chores. looks like another entertaining last play game that we actually win this time.

The clock keeps running then. Only under 2 minutes in the 2nd and 4th will it stop.
That is correct according to the Wikipedia.

A player carrying the ball goes out of bounds. The clock stops in all 4 quarters and, for most of the game, it is restarted upon the referee spotting the ball and blowing the whistle to signal the resumption of play. In college football, the clock restarts upon the snap of the ball when the clock was stopped with less than 2:00 left in either half.

Go watch the play where Vet gets hurt and tell me that Hokie didn’t know exactly what he was doing.
At 9:29 to go in the 4th, deep in our end. What VT #6 does is clearly dangerous, and odd looking and winds up going into Vet's lower leg with force.
You could argue that he was just going for the ball, which was not actually out, but in these scrums, a dangerous play yes, malicious? can't say.

That is correct according to the Wikipedia.

A player carrying the ball goes out of bounds. The clock stops in all 4 quarters and, for most of the game, it is restarted upon the referee spotting the ball and blowing the whistle to signal the resumption of play. In college football, the clock restarts upon the snap of the ball when the clock was stopped with less than 2:00 left in either half.
The clock kept running even before the ball was spotted. It never stopped running

didn't catch the game. just watched the highlights. man #26 aman greenwood has a handful of jersey in the end zone on that last hail mary toss. who says we never catch a break in the acc ? i see the condensed version is up on youtube and will try to catch when i finish my chores. looks like another entertaining last play game that we actually win this time.
Having watched the replay That guy was out of bounds outside of the end zone if that matters.

Having watched the replay That guy was out of bounds outside of the end zone if that matters.
and had he stepped back in, should have been ruled ineligible had he caught it but, with our luck and the ACC refs it would have made ESPN's "You've been Mossed".

So Tucker ran out of bounds but made a first down at appx. 4:30. Ref blew the whistle. Clock never stopped while chains were moved. Is that correct.

So Tucker ran out of bounds but made a first down at appx. 4:30. Ref blew the whistle. Clock never stopped while chains were moved. Is that correct.
Yes

I crapped myself that they even got a hail Mary off

and had he stepped back in, should have been ruled ineligible had he caught it but, with our luck and the ACC refs it would have made ESPN's "You've been Mossed".
" a receiver who is out of bounds due to a defensive foul will remain eligible, and will not be flagged for an illegal touch. The receiver will, however, need to re-establish in bounds to complete the pass. The defensive fouls in this case are typically pass interference, illegal contact, and holding, but the foul action must put the receiver out of bounds for this exception to apply." (have to believe greenwood's contact forced him out). secondly if the ball is tipped by either side he's eligible regardless. and if you don't see PI there...you may be a bigger homer than our beloved coach mac.just saying for everybody that's calling ACC refs crooked looks to me like we caught a break.

Last edited:
Good post.
I rewatched part.
The clock running after Tucker ran out of bounds on our second to last drive was horrible. I’m going to call it intentional. Someone should send that clip to ACC offices. That’s cheating plain and simple. We lost :26. Thankfully we didn’t need it s as to the end.

The PI on Chestnut late at the end of the game was BS. The WR felt the contact and dove to the ground. Looked like a soccer player.

Credit the coaches for managing the injuries - we have a lot - and moving the pieces around and still functioning.
It wasn’t just out of bounds plays - the operator would start the clock on first downs well before the officials gave the signal. I’d like to flay the clock man and hang him by his balls.

Metro Escalate GIF by KreativCopy

The prevailing claim is the southern ACC officials are biased against northerners. Saturdays game should be the best officiated game of the year.

The prevailing claim is the southern ACC officials are biased against northerners. Saturdays game should be the best officiated game of the year.
Which is kind of moronic seeing as most players on these rosters are not Yankees.

I'm working my way through the game. Queeley needs to step it up a little. You have to catch this
1635259669006.png

edit to add: Also, on the first drive of the second half, Shrader threw a pass from the far hash that took a loooooooong time to get to Queleey. Queleey catches it, but he really needs to come back and attack that ball. Shrader is going to get one of those picked if he 1)doesn't put a little more arm behind it and 2) doesn't get a little more help from his receiver.

edit to add 2: With about 2 minutes left in the 3rd, Shrader throws another one from about 1/2 the width of the field to the sideline, this time to Alford on the left without enough arm behind it. Alford was not open and this should have been picked.

Last edited:
" a receiver who is out of bounds due to a defensive foul will remain eligible, and will not be flagged for an illegal touch. The receiver will, however, need to re-establish in bounds to complete the pass. The defensive fouls in this case are typically pass interference, illegal contact, and holding, but the foul action must put the receiver out of bounds for this exception to apply." (have to believe greenwood's contact forced him out). secondly if the ball is tipped by either side he's eligible regardless. and if you don't see PI there...you may be a bigger homer than our beloved coach mac.just saying for everybody that's calling ACC refs crooked looks to me like we caught a break.

Of course that's what you'd believe -- confirmatory bias to support your narrative.

In actuality, the guy was not forced out of bounds by Greenwood, this has been covered extensively in other threads -- as Cuseregular states above. But what occurred afterwards could have been called PI, no doubt. Wouldn't have held up, given that the VT guy would have been an illegal receiver due to stepping out.

Impossible to say how the refs might have interpreted that.

I'm working my way through the game. Queeley needs to step it up a little. You have to catch this
View attachment 209562

edit to add: Also, on the first drive of the second half, Shrader threw a pass from the far hash that took a loooooooong time to get to Queleey. Queleey catches it, but he really needs to come back and attack that ball. Shrader is going to get one of those picked if he 1)doesn't put a little more arm behind it and 2) doesn't get a little more help from his receiver.

edit to add 2: With about 2 minutes left in the 3rd, Shrader throws another one from about 1/2 the width of the field to the sideline, this time to Alford on the left without enough arm behind it. Alford was not open and this should have been picked.
Yeah two really bad throws

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom