Rewatched the game last night | Syracusefan.com

Rewatched the game last night

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Originally followed the game on my phone since I had family plans just after work. Don't kill me for that, it's the type of trade offs I make which allowed me to attend Clemson the prior weekend. Trying to hit a few points that I haven't seen in recaps and hit on a some that have already been stated. Anyway...

-Apologies to GM and THunt for that first INT. My reaction reading is "why the hell are you throwing after running 3 straight plays for a 1st down?". While I still feel that way a bit, for the sake of resting the D, that play was wide open and wouldve went big if not for Hunt's legs getting taken out as he released it. I did think West could've went after it a bit harder and broken the play up if nothing else but perhaps I'm off there.

-Drew Allen. Didn't take 1 snap but very much impressed me with his side line demeanor. He's the first guy celbrating with Hunt when things go right, and the first to try and pick him up when they don't. Hat's off to the guy and I think, if he were forced into action, he would be more effective after watching from the side lines. If he decides he wants to run, he could still be effective.

-PTG will be as effective as Rome allows him to. If Rome is rolling, PTG can go off. If Rome is held in check, Gulley isn't effective. If Rome isn't rolling, we should go right to MacFarlane and possibly even a few touches for Adonis to show something different.

-Where have all the quick slants gone? Our QB throws with a very flat trajectory and yet we continue to call passes where he has to try and fit it over defenders.

-Our DE's were tremendous. Welsh is getting enough push to make the QB nervous and swatting passes at the line when he doesn't get there. Micah is learning and improving leaps and bounds. He get's held a LOT which is frusterating because they aren't called but great that he's putting the o line in a position where they have to hold to contain him. Would love to start getting those calls. On the NC State TD pass he learned something. Zone blitz had him drop into coverage in a zone with no one in it. In the future I expect him to learn to find players that will be running into his zone and drop deeper but the QB shouldn't have had enough time for the TE to work the whole way across the field anyway. Sugar Bear can play. I know it's been stated but watching how quickly he's progressing from game to game is impressive.

-LB's. Love all of them. Hate that DD is hurt but I've been a fan of Kirkland since day 1 and he's not disappointing for the most part. Pass coverage obviously needs some work.

-We should've scored more points. If NC State had a decent QB, they wouldve as well. When we mess up coverage, we do it big time. Boyd made a lot of throws last week that I said "most QB's don't make". NC State had some easier throws than we gave Boyd but couldn't come close.

-Love Whigham and glad Reddish is back. Whigham is so fluid in his movements and has great closing speed. When is the last time we saw our CB running ahead of the WR down the sideline in better position? His backpeddle and turn are great and he will be a star for us.

-Hunt cleaning up after his INT with the tackle. The guy doesn't give up on plays and you can tell a true competitor there. A lot of QB's would just stand and watch there. On offense, he does need to learn to give up on some plays and throw it away but he will with playing time.

-Horrific officiating really helped keep that game much closer than it should've been. Referee Ron Cherry... is he any relation to the NC State kick returner with the same last name? Only thing I can think of. The hold call that killed our first drive seemed like phantom call but didnt get a great replay angle. The roughing the kicker, I'm not 100% sure our guy even touched the kicker. He rolled of a block and was on the ground while the kickers leg appeared to hit his own guy. Not even sure Coker could've hit him given that he was on the ground and the kickers leg was not. The flag picked up on the Gulley run was comedy. No excuse for us not to get 6 regardless but 1st and goal fron the 2 1/2 vs the 5 would've made it easier.

We were going for a TD that first drive without that call so there's 7. Without that roughing the kicer call we have the ball back, with a lead and bg time momentum. Not sure if we score or not but we had them on the edge and that flag pulled em back. Not sure if they wouldve gotten the TD drive at the end of the half had our D gotten a bit more time off. The Gulley flag was a net -4 (unless we screwed up the XP again).

-End game, our defense is starting to look like I thought they would to open the season. Ugly game for a casual fan but great to watch as a Cuse die hard to see the teams progression. Love the big hits, and loved the discipline shown vs the odd ball formations and not being asleep on the fake FG. NC State offensive players looked dejected which is exactly what you love to see. Our D did that to them. If our O can hit a few more passes we will win the majority of our remaining games. As Jay Bromley said "nut up" and get it done.

Oh and Jay Bromley... Jay Freaking Bromley! That guy is an amazing player. I look for 96 everytime the d is out there and at this point I'm sure opposing offenses do as well... yet they still can't contain/stop him. Hopefully NFL teams are taking notice.

Originally followed the game on my phone since I had family plans just after work. Don't kill me for that, it's the type of trade offs I make which allowed me to attend Clemson the prior weekend. Trying to hit a few points that I haven't seen in recaps and hit on a some that have already been stated. Anyway...

-Apologies to GM and THunt for that first INT. My reaction reading is "why the hell are you throwing after running 3 straight plays for a 1st down?". While I still feel that way a bit, for the sake of resting the D, that play was wide open and wouldve went big if not for Hunt's legs getting taken out as he released it. I did think West could've went after it a bit harder and broken the play up if nothing else but perhaps I'm off there.

-Drew Allen. Didn't take 1 snap but very much impressed me with his side line demeanor. He's the first guy celbrating with Hunt when things go right, and the first to try and pick him up when they don't. Hat's off to the guy and I think, if he were forced into action, he would be more effective after watching from the side lines. If he decides he wants to run, he could still be effective.

-PTG will be as effective as Rome allows him to. If Rome is rolling, PTG can go off. If Rome is held in check, Gulley isn't effective. If Rome isn't rolling, we should go right to MacFarlane and possibly even a few touches for Adonis to show something different.

-Where have all the quick slants gone? Our QB throws with a very flat trajectory and yet we continue to call passes where he has to try and fit it over defenders.

-Our DE's were tremendous. Welsh is getting enough push to make the QB nervous and swatting passes at the line when he doesn't get there. Micah is learning and improving leaps and bounds. He get's held a LOT which is frusterating because they aren't called but great that he's putting the o line in a position where they have to hold to contain him. Would love to start getting those calls. On the NC State TD pass he learned something. Zone blitz had him drop into coverage in a zone with no one in it. In the future I expect him to learn to find players that will be running into his zone and drop deeper but the QB shouldn't have had enough time for the TE to work the whole way across the field anyway. Sugar Bear can play. I know it's been stated but watching how quickly he's progressing from game to game is impressive.

-LB's. Love all of them. Hate that DD is hurt but I've been a fan of Kirkland since day 1 and he's not disappointing for the most part. Pass coverage obviously needs some work.

-We should've scored more points. If NC State had a decent QB, they wouldve as well. When we mess up coverage, we do it big time. Boyd made a lot of throws last week that I said "most QB's don't make". NC State had some easier throws than we gave Boyd but couldn't come close.

-Love Whigham and glad Reddish is back. Whigham is so fluid in his movements and has great closing speed. When is the last time we saw our CB running ahead of the WR down the sideline in better position? His backpeddle and turn are great and he will be a star for us.

-Hunt cleaning up after his INT with the tackle. The guy doesn't give up on plays and you can tell a true competitor there. A lot of QB's would just stand and watch there. On offense, he does need to learn to give up on some plays and throw it away but he will with playing time.

-Horrific officiating really helped keep that game much closer than it should've been. Referee Ron Cherry... is he any relation to the NC State kick returner with the same last name? Only thing I can think of. The hold call that killed our first drive seemed like phantom call but didnt get a great replay angle. The roughing the kicker, I'm not 100% sure our guy even touched the kicker. He rolled of a block and was on the ground while the kickers leg appeared to hit his own guy. Not even sure Coker could've hit him given that he was on the ground and the kickers leg was not. The flag picked up on the Gulley run was comedy. No excuse for us not to get 6 regardless but 1st and goal fron the 2 1/2 vs the 5 would've made it easier.

We were going for a TD that first drive without that call so there's 7. Without that roughing the kicer call we have the ball back, with a lead and bg time momentum. Not sure if we score or not but we had them on the edge and that flag pulled em back. Not sure if they wouldve gotten the TD drive at the end of the half had our D gotten a bit more time off. The Gulley flag was a net -4 (unless we screwed up the XP again).

-End game, our defense is starting to look like I thought they would to open the season. Ugly game for a casual fan but great to watch as a Cuse die hard to see the teams progression. Love the big hits, and loved the discipline shown vs the odd ball formations and not being asleep on the fake FG. NC State offensive players looked dejected which is exactly what you love to see. Our D did that to them. If our O can hit a few more passes we will win the majority of our remaining games. As Jay Bromley said "nut up" and get it done.

Oh and Jay Bromley... Jay Freaking Bromley! That guy is an amazing player. I look for 96 everytime the d is out there and at this point I'm sure opposing offenses do as well... yet they still can't contain/stop him. Hopefully NFL teams are taking notice.

Great post. Agree 1000% on the quick slants. Seems like kill two birds with one stone with a quick slant to Estime.

And Bromley is incredible. There also seems like there is very little drop off between starters and 2nd string on the front 7. Great to see.

Fantastic point about Drew. I saw him go over to Terrel after pick 2 to offer encouragement. Really becoming part of the team. Shows how much he has to offer even if not playing.

Fantastic point about Drew. I saw him go over to Terrel after pick 2 to offer encouragement. Really becoming part of the team. Shows how much he has to offer even if not playing.

That article about Drew last week by the PS made me cheer for that kid even more. True team player on and off the field. Great kid, wishing him the best in life.

agree on the slants...and am still amazed how little the TEs are in the gameplan. We have a qb who has difficulty throwing deep and sideline routes...but never throw slants or hit TEs. Only rationalization I can come up with is that they don't want to clog up the middle of the field so Hunt has extra space when he scrambles...but that's assuming there will be a clusterf on every play.

also agree on the roughing the kicker. he was engaged with the blocker. i don't think it should have been anything...but 5 at most.

Really solid post, IO.

I too was very impressed by the D's collective "IQ" in response to all the out of the box formations that NCST showed. It demonstrated the staff's ability to game plan and teach that info to the kids. I am not sure if they simplified the schemes, but the D was prepared and responded well.

I think having Kirkland, Reddish, Wigham, Morgan and Eskridge on the field makes a big difference. Eskridge in particular showed things in the NCST game that I have not seen from him before.

Great post. Agree 1000% on the quick slants. Seems like kill two birds with one stone with a quick slant to Estime.

And Bromley is incredible. There also seems like there is very little drop off between starters and 2nd string on the front 7. Great to see.
I haven't seen anyone else mention Eric Crume's play on Saturday. He was also very noticeable spending much of the game in NCSt's back field.

Gotta believe that Bromley is getting doubled which leaves EC to run wild. Our front seven is very deep and playing great.

I haven't seen anyone else mention Eric Crume's play on Saturday. He was also very noticeable spending much of the game in NCSt's back field.

Gotta believe that Bromley is getting doubled which leaves EC to run wild. Our front seven is very deep and playing great.

Crume appeared to get knicked up a bit. Hopefully it's nothing nagging since he did come back but with a noticable limp. Our DT rotation is great though, Zian and Raymon are effective as well. They are all good but man is Bromley just so immpressive that he is noticably that much better.

That article about Drew last week by the PS made me cheer for that kid even more. True team player on and off the field. Great kid, wishing him the best in life.
Plus he may still have his time come this year. I'm on the t hunt train but with the shots he takes his backup will likely see action before all is said and done.

Yep, first guy that went to Hunt to talk to him. Great to see, and I think it helped Hunt settle down a bit.

Very much agree with you in regards to the slants, Whigham, and Bromley. Whigham is an NFL athlete. Spruill has also been excellent for us.

Yep, first guy that went to Hunt to talk to him. Great to see, and I think it helped Hunt settle down a bit.

Dare I say we are starting to actually look like a team vs a group that just happens to play together? I think we have at least 4 wins left in us this year.

Very much agree with you in regards to the slants, Whigham, and Bromley. Whigham is an NFL athlete. Spruill has also been excellent for us.

At this point Spruill goes without saying since he is everywhere and the announcers are constantly calling his name. The guys in the trenches don't quite get the recognition since a lot of what they do doesn't show up on the stat sheets thus I try and go out of my way to praise them for things others may not be seeing.

At this point Spruill goes without saying since he is everywhere and the announcers are constantly calling his name. The guys in the trenches don't quite get the recognition since a lot of what they do doesn't show up on the stat sheets thus I try and go out of my way to praise them for things others may not be seeing.
Not to mention that the big guys on the DL are keeping our LB's uncovered which allows them to get to the ball carrier.

Agree about Coker. I thought that should've been a non-call. Coker hit that wall at 90mph and pushed the blocker back to the kicker, the kicker’s leg on the downward motion I thought hit the blocker as much as Coker. And if I’m not mistaken Coker may have already been on the ground the kickers’ leg hit a combination of the blocker and Cokers back. Though I'm not real sure he even hit Coker. Thought it should've been a non-call.

By the way, one of our resident geniuses – stern – was blaming Shafer for having the punt block call on.

Agree about Coker. I thought that should've been a non-call. Coker hit that wall at 90mph and pushed the blocker back to the kicker, the kicker’s leg on the downward motion I thought hit the blocker as much as Coker. And if I’m not mistaken Coker may have already been on the ground the kickers’ leg hit a combination of the blocker and Cokers back. Though I'm not real sure he even hit Coker. Thought it should've been a non-call.

By the way, one of our resident geniuses – stern – was blaming Shafer for having the punt block call on.

Exactly how I saw it as well.

The two pass interference penalties were crazy too. One pass wasn't catchable. The other, the NCState receiver grabbed I-forget-who by the jersey and pulled him into his chest. Crafty play by the WR. I can see how the refs missed that one.

I've rewatched Hunt's 2nd pick a couple of times. How did that play not get whistled dead? Hunt called for the ball, Hickey and Trudo move, Macky flutters it back about a second later and the ball moves like it had been stuck in the ground.

Just a weird play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom