Rewriting History | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rewriting History

Thanks.

Ah, how time changes recollection...

Appreciate the clarification.
If I hadn't just watched the 17 and 18 games this past weekend, I would have thought the same. Could've sworn that play happened on our last meaningful drive of the game.

The handoff to Dee Brown on the goal line against NC State in '97. Let McNabb do his thing, or give it to Konrad, or kneel it. Just win that damn game. '97 will always torture me, I really think that was our year. I know injuries derailed other games, but I think the season may have played our differently had we squeaked by against NC State.

The handoff to Dee Brown on the goal line against NC State in '97. Let McNabb do his thing, or give it to Konrad, or kneel it. Just win that damn game. '97 will always torture me, I really think that was our year. I know injuries derailed other games, but I think the season may have played our differently had we squeaked by against NC State.
Probably our best defensive squad during the McNabb years.

I wish the 4 point FG never happened.

I wish Mike Williams dropped the ball on 3rd and long in OT vs Iowa. That would have prevented us from the embarrassment of failing to score from inside the 5 despite having EIGHT!!!! plays.

You're all hitting the big ones. Here's a few more:

Rob Konrad doesn't fumble when we're trying to run out the clock to the end the 1st half against Tennessee.

Nunes steps out of bounds when his toe was just inches from it against Michigan in 1999. Then he doesn't run backwards into the end zone and get called for grounding and a safety.

Freshman doesn't go join the celebration after Harrison scores the TD in the Oklahoma 1994 opener.

UNC 1996 opener, we don't get a personal foul when we blocked a punt and were about to score.

2000 VT, the center doesn't step on Nunes foot as he's dropping back.

1993 Miami, 1994 BC, 1999 VT, 2001 Miami, the bus breaks down and we can't make it to the game.

I wish Mike Williams dropped the ball on 3rd and long in OT vs Iowa. That would have prevented us from the embarrassment of failing to score from inside the 5 despite having EIGHT!!!! plays.

Didn't Tim Lane drop an easy TD pass right in his hands somewhere during those sequences?

Rob Konrad doesn't fumble when we're trying to run out the clock to the end the 1st half against Tennessee.

Nunes steps out of bounds when his toe was just inches from it against Michigan in 1999. Then he doesn't run backwards into the end zone and get called for grounding and a safety.

Freshman doesn't go join the celebration after Harrison scores the TD in the Oklahoma 1994 opener.

UNC 1996 opener, we don't get a personal foul when we blocked a punt and were about to score.

1993 Miami, 1994 BC, 1999 VT, 2001 Miami, the bus breaks down and we can't make it to the game.
the UNC one was killer because it actually took place after everything happend but the refs ruled it happened before..

Wow, a lot of VERY painful memories. Thanks, guys! But seriously, I don't which to choose so I'll go with most painful. That probably comes down to the bs pass interference call that gave Tennessee the victory and the NC State loss where we fumbled the ball at the goal line and then lost by a sneaky 2pt conversion that we didn't see coming. Just painful.

However, the loss that really stands out to me where I was really worried about our program was against Rutgers in 1999. We didn't have a bad year, still made it to a bowl game, but to lose to Rutgers?? That one stung for a while and I caught so much grief from my FSU buddy after that one.

The first that came to mind for me was Roland Grimes fumble against PSU in 1985.

94 BC game was honestly the worst. We didn't cross the 50 yard line in that game and we were 6-2 going into it. Just a bizarre reversal of fortune for a team moon walking to a bowl game that year.

I think giving up the 4th down conversion in the Clemson game was worse than the downfield penalty.
To be fair, it was a great throw in a high pressure situation with NC implications...by a backup QB. I think it might have been the very next play when the same QB ran a naked bootleg for a huge gain.

The OL downfield play against Clemson in 2018 was my most heartbreaking moment as a sports fan. You just knew they were going to pull it out if we gave them the ball back. My college roommates at the time still talk about my meltdown.

I agree with everything you just said.

One thing I'll add is that Dino was utterly terrible at clock management at the end of that game. We should have been strategically using timeouts to give us enough time to work with to generate a drive the other way after Clemson scored. But if I remember correctly we were left with maybe 30 seconds.
One of my main gripes... His game management is horrendous... I wish he would subcontract it out

I would like to add the first and last offensive snaps in Marrone's debut vs. Minnesota (2009) to this list. While not the most momentous in SU football history, imagine if you will...

McKenzie doesn't snap the ball over Paulus's head (thereby gifting Minnesota a TD)

Paulus doesn't throw a pick in OT to set up their chip shot GW FG.

Consider the momentum Marrone would've had going into BE play 3-1 (lone loss to #7 State Penn) with the local boy at QB and Delone Carter/Mike Williams showin their stuff.

BTW - I can't think of another program SU football has played so infrequently and pooped the bed against (or had cosmically bad luck). I'll be happy if the 2013 Texas Bowl is the last time SU plays Minny in FB.

My history rewrite would be Coach Mac’s first game coaching in 1981, a 29 - 27 loss to Rutgers where both defensive starters and stars, OLB Jaime Kimmel and SS Captain Ike Bogosian, we’re loss for the season with knees and that was in the first half. All of our losses that year were close except Penn St. and I am certain Coach Mac would have had a winning season year one if those two played.

Last edited:
All of the above are worthy examples. But for me, my hate for ND began in 1961 and continues to this day. ND always seems to benefit from bad calls and that continues to the present. Perhaps the most egregious took place in 1961.

I’m a young guy so for my generation it’s gotta be the clemson converting on 4th down with the back up and I believe Sean Riley drop vs lsu.

Last edited:
Seems like football is covered...how about the missed free throws or Keith Smart’s game winning shot in the 1987 championship game against Indiana? Either of those would have given JB his first championship instead of 16 years later. That game forced me to stop being such a rabid fan for a decade. I’m still in mourning for a championship that should have been ours...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom