Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz

He isn't. Check out this link. Many enthusiastic fans of Dino there.

Eye in the Sky

Of interest is this post, from a guy claiming to know a big Cuse booster in the Miami area.

CaneSwag1995 said:
I’m going to one of the biggest Syracuse donor’s house in 45 min. He’s extremely plugged in because of how much he contributes. If he’s heard anything about Babers, he’ll let me know because he likes Miami, too. He was roommates with a bunch of staff members on Butch’s staff when he lived in South Florida. I’m not one to play insider, but I’ll tell you guys if he’s heard anything.

Okay, update:

The guy I spoke to said the feelings are mixed internally about how much of a threat Miami is here.

Some have conceded that Miami is a better job, and that if Babers wants to win at the highest level, he will consider Miami. He can’t compete for titles at Cuse, and he knows that.

The main issue for Miami is paying him enough to leave a program he’s proud of building. He just got a big contract extension, so it’s going to take a lot of cash to lure him away. It’s defintely a possibility, but Miami is going to have to throw the kitchen sink at him financially.

Overall, he’s very happy at Syrscuse, but every coach, especially somebody as passionate and competitive as him, wants to win titles. Babers knows Miami gives him that shot.

He’s going to do more digging and keep me updated, but as it stands right now, Miami has a shot, which has many Syracuse donors and officials terrified.

Sounds like BS to me. In a matter of a couple hours after it was announced there are many donors and officials terrified and this guy knows about their thoughts. Sure.

This sounds like a Rex Ryan pr job and less like Rex Ryan serious candidate.

Exactly. He's pathetic. Why on earth would you hire a defensive coach whose last college experience was 20 years ago in today's college football? I guess ASU did with Herm Edwards but doesn't mean it's a good idea

I don’t really know why you’d invest in a defensive guy with the skill players they have in South Florida but hey Miami can ffffffff right off so go for it I say.

Miami started to decline when they lost the Orange Bowl. Stadium was a dump, but at least it was close to campus. Students could get there fairly easily. Nobody wants to drive an hour north to an NFL stadium. Problem is that Miami doesn’t have the money or the land to build a stadium closer to campus so they’re stuck. They might be better off trying to convert the Marlins stadium to play their games there.

Miami is actually a pretty bad sports town. Lots of people would rather go to the beach on a Saturday afternoon than a Hurricane game.

Miami started to decline when they lost the Orange Bowl. Stadium was a dump, but at least it was close to campus. Students could get there fairly easily. Nobody wants to drive an hour north to an NFL stadium. Problem is that Miami doesn’t have the money or the land to build a stadium closer to campus so they’re stuck. They might be better off trying to convert the Marlins stadium to play their games there.

Miami is actually a pretty bad sports town. Lots of people would rather go to the beach on a Saturday afternoon than a Hurricane game.
Wait, their stadium is an hour north? Seriously?

Folks Dino just signed an extension...there is not even smoke here. Miami is a has been program and that is why realistically they are either going to end up with a coaching retread or a guy with Florida roots. This is actually kind of funny. Yeah Babers wants to go to a school with dump facilities and no fans? Really? I think not.

cristobal has a documented 8-10 million buyout depending on date. and that has stopped exactly 0 people from calling him the leader in the clubhouse.

i would wager Dino's aint that high.

and If Miami pays 8-10 mil, youre sure as positive Oregon will pay quadruple that if needed.
Dino’s buyout was in that range before the extension.

Not that Dino would want to go somewhere so renown for treating coaches like garbage, but Miami can’t afford him.

Folks Dino just signed an extension...there is not even smoke here. Miami is a has been program and that is why realistically they are either going to end up with a coaching retread or a guy with Florida roots. This is actually kind of funny. Yeah Babers wants to go to a school with dump facilities and no fans? Really? I think not.

Some guy with a cartoon dog for his profile pic on twitter wrote an article, and Miami’s fanbase full of 40 year olds that still sag their baggy jeans ran with it.

I just spent about 20 mins on the Canes Insight board and l had tears in my eyes and my stomach hurt from laughing. 50% of the posters are exactly what you think Miami backers would be like. Tons of cursing, saw a homophobic slur, and TONS of fans that have zero faith in their BOT and administration. There plenty of people that love the thought of Dino and think that he is the smart hire. Almost everyone hates Diaz, half hate Mario. A buddy I work with is from Florida, LOVES college football, is a Nole, and hates everything about Miami. He is terrified of a Kiffin hire. He thinks that Miami really needs someone to get in the mud down in South Florida recruiting and Lane is the guy to do it. He wants ANYONE but Kiffin. I vote for Rex...OMG what a S show that would be.

I’d like to think he’ll in effect be doing the same thing at Syracuse!

True but he’d have more ammo to battle with. Dino would pull 4 and 5 star recruits out of the gate there. He’d also have a yearly bye to the ACC championship game.

IMHO it seems financially secure Coach Richt did not want to contend with forced coaching changes, scattered facilities and a mantra that just won’t stop “you better win now and forever.“ There was just no joy in it so he jumped ship, thereby forfeiting millions he would’ve received in a buyout should he have been fired (which was likely in the near future).
If my premise is correct, I understand his decision.