RIP Coach Mac** | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Coach Mac**

My first Cuse memories revolve around you, Coach. God bless you and the family.

Thank you.

IMG_2519.JPG
Had this on my bedroom wall my entire childhood.

Very sad. Likely the most important person in SU football history post-Ben. More importantly, a wonderful guy who genuinely loved the Syracuse community.

I think Scooch is in the same boat with me but my experiences with Mac were of admiration and sadness. I always felt bad for him having to take over the Patriots when they were run in such a terrible fashion. He was set up to fail with that roster and ownership group. Under different times Mac could have flourished in the NFL in a Pete Carroll fashion.

I agree in that he's the second most important person post Ben. He is, as shallow as this sounds, one of the reasons I decided to attend SU. I fell in love with Syracuse during 1987 as an 11 year old. My beloved Eagles, at the time, were terrible and i was somewhat curious of what the Orangemen were doing to the west with their cool Dome and the guy with the suit and tie running on the sideline.

It is interesting that Bob Ryan, of the Boston Globe, has a podcast and recently interviewed Sean McDonough. Sean waxed poetic about Dick Mac and how much Will McDonough loved Mac and how much Mac loved the McDonough family. Sean got very emotional during the podcast which made me wonder if the end was near. It was.

Will always be grateful for Coach Mac leading SU football back from the depths. Condolences to family and friends. A legend has passed today.

When Coach took over the program, it was like a breath...no, a tsunami of fresh air. Immediately you got the sense that things had changed. He was one of the most POSITIVELY infectious personalities you could ever meet- nothing was impossible to Coach Mac.
He changed the program. Thank you, Coach Mac, and may you SIP.

He was a man who just inhaled life. I thought of him as our own Yogi Berra. Quality man who became the heart and face of not just SU, but the city. His legacy keeps on giving to SU through his grandsons.

Sad, sad day. Truly one of a kind as a person and coach. Thanks, Coach. You will always be fondly remembered. RIP.

I graduated from SU in 1973. There was nothing like that 1987 run; PSU blowout, WVA finish, etc. RIP Coach Mac and a big Thank You. You will be missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom