RIP Coach Mac** | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Coach Mac**

My Dad worked for a fairly prominent real estate / mortgage firm in Syracuse during the 80s and 90s. His bosses were high rollers, so he got to go to a bunch of events that had big names, like Coach Mac. Dad said he briefly chatted with Coach Mac at an event once. A year later, different event, he meets Coach Mac again. Coach Mac not only remembers my dad's name, but also where he worked and his position at the firm. Sounds like that was just him.

One time when on a long drive, I found a Boston radio station when Mac was with the Patriots and he was being interviewed. SU was coming into town to play BC that week. They asked Mac what he thought was going to happen in the game. Mac replied, "I hope Syracuse kicks the shi* out of them." The radio crew there seemed surprised but amused by his salty language. All alone in the car, I laughed for the next 15 minutes and wished someone else was there to share in the humor. It made the ride go a lot quicker for sure.

Another Coach Mac remembrance. A good friend of mine's son was hit by a car and severely injured. He was on the same hospital floor as some SU football players. The players told Mac about the kid. Mac goes back to his office and gets an autographed football for the kid. The best!

Great man, great family. Appreciate everything he did for Cuse football. Coach Mac happened to coach my favorite college team and NFL team. May he rest in peace and his legacy forever lives long.

Last edited:
1990. Coach Mac is coaching the East in the East-West Shrine game on Stanford's campus. I'm living in CA now and a die hard Orangeman fan (Archbold & Dome season tickets). I visit the practice site, watch the end of practice and several people want to hold an audience with the coach after practice ends. He stays on the field for what must've been a half hour while spending quality time with each group/person that wanted to hold court with him. My wife and I are the last people waiting and he greets us like we're extended family. We swap a few quick stories, get a picture and a handshake and we're on our way. A great guy and ambassador for the Orange. One of the last suit & tie coaches.

Coach Mac's greatest philosophical statement about football, life, existence was summed up in 4 words and said with total conviction in a Maine accent, " We gotta get betta". I will always remember him for saying that .

Last edited:
September 5, 1987 - my first time in the Dome and my first week on campus my Freshman year. We beat Maryland. I've been an addict ever since. Coach Mac exemplified my Syracuse experience.

He was a rare combination of a man, both dignified and fun-loving, elegant and yet somehow rumpled at the same time. Someone I still look up to even in middle age. May he rest in peace. LGO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom