RIP Coach Mac** | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Coach Mac**

Man this sucks, really sad to see this today. Just found out a few minutes ago. Coach Mac's late 80's teams are my first memory of Syracuse football and I'll never forget the buzz around the program during the magical '87 run. He really put Syracuse football back on the map.

RIP Coach Mac - you'll always be with us in spirit.

A truly inspirational leader and a great representative for SU and the community. Rest in peace, Coach.

He is almost a prototype for the stereotypical coach. Think of "Coach" from Cheers.

Another look-a-like:

220px-Nicholas_Colasanto_Coach_Ernie_Pantusso.jpg

My father went to college with Coach Mac. He took me to Syracuse football games as a kid, but didn't live to see his college friend become coach. He would have been thrilled.

RIP Coach, say hi to my dad.

I was at SU when Coach Mac was coach. My friends and I had just sat down at Varsity when I noticed him walking out with what looked like a bag of food. I said something like, "hey, coach!" He turned around, came back in and walked over to our table to say hi. I think he told us to make sure we'd be coming to that week's game. That "the team needs your support."

Very nice guy and very cool of him to say hi when he was walking out. That made a big impression on me.

He was a semi-regular at Varsity until about a year or ago. I've never seen a well-known person so generous with his time...anyone who wanted to say hello got a warm and extended conversation with the guy, often right in the middle of his meal. Such a personable human being. Sad day.

Mac used to have a radio call in show with Matt Park which was broadcast from Tully's once a week.

After the show he would hang out for a while, and he was very easy to talk to. I started to talk to him one night and we ended up in a 20 minute discussion about NCAA regulations. And he made them sound interesting. :p

RIP Coach Mac!!! I'll never forget you holding up those 2 fingers to signal that we were going for "2 points" in the 1987 West Virginia game. It took guts but you never looked back. Best ending to a football game that I have seen.

RIP. Had the awesome privilege of meeting him once ! Great guy, great coach !

Rest in peace Coach and my condolences to his family...lots of great memories going to his games back in the day with Dad and brother...take care Coach...# Cuse legend

I wish I could have met Coach Mac. My father raised me Orange, Coaches Mac helped to solidify my Orange fandom.

I met Coach Mac at Varsity after a game about 13 years ago when I was 11. Looking back at that 5 minute conversation he had with a child, I can only think that it is no wonder he had some good teams. His passion was unbeatable.

In 1985 SU opened some new facilities at Manley and the public was invited to tour them. My wife and I and our two-year old daughter went and, as we were walking through, Coach Mac broke away from a group of men that looked like bigshot boosters and welcomed us and chatted for a little while. We were pretty impressed with his personal charm and his thoughtfulness.

Last edited:
No matter when he passed his loss was destined to be devastating. Coach Mac reminded me so much of my own grandfather. Coach Mac was from Maine, my Granddad was from NH and was a multi-sport hall of fame athlete (including FB) for WPI and went on to be a MA state champion coach in swimming for many years. Different from Div 1 football in the 80s-90s? Absolutely. But when I saw Coach Mac interviewed when I was a frosh at SU, I literally thought, "that guy is a carbon copy of my grandfather!"

RIP Coach MAC!!! Such a generous individual... especially (not exclusively) after he came back after his stint with the Pats!!

Legend!!!

I had a couple autograph moments with him in my teens during the 80s, but only one exchange as an adult. We were about to pass each other in the concourse of the dome. I stepped in front of him to shake his hand and said "good morning coach".

"Good morning, let's give em hell." Is what I got back.

Great guy.

Coach Babers,
Please honor Coach Mac this season with an orange MAC on the helmets and/or the game jerseys for that would be a great tribute to honor a Syracuse legend.
Agree completely...I was hoping they might be able to permanently honor him by placing Mac on the home sideline sort of like they have the 44.

Helmet sticker is a must. Maybe they can incorporate the blue and orange tie logo they made the lapel pin commemorating him when he was honored in the Dome.

Coach Mac's final year at SU was my freshman year. My Dad had the chance to meet him and Coach Mac asked his opinion on playing USC in the Kickoff Classic. We always thought that was great. He will be missed. I have a ton of great stuff in my Orange room. Very sorry I will not be able to get him to sign a picture.

SUOrange44

The first and only time I met coach Mac was in line at the funeral of a mutual friend back in the mid '80s. He was humble and sincere. That's why the visiting line at his own funeral will be so long. Apart from being a good coach, which he certainly was, he was a good man.

met the man several time and my family knew him fairly well

awesome person we lost

RIP Coach and thanks for everything

i could not read the posts----rip mac you were a class act and generous with your time. gawd love ya.

Coach Mac defined this program. In today's age, coaches can come and go so quickly that some programs never get that "rock" to build from.

It's why I've grown so frustrated with the last three coaching staffs because they weren't here long enough to establish a lasting identity. It's why I worry that the current staff won't stay here long term to see the fruits of their labor and build a long term foundation.

Coach Mac was our rock. He was orange through and through. God Bless Coach Mac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom