RIP College Athletics | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP College Athletics

Oh, so it's minutiae after you got the quote wrong? ;)

Well, since you asked, using slavery to define cholarship athletes is certainly hyperbole. You know, exaggeration for effect. So while it's certainly not slavery, consider the scholarship athlete. He can't even do his laundry without wondering whether he'll get suspended for not using official NCAA approved detergent. More hyperbole, but you get the point. Really, unless a kid already has reasonable means (as in, his parents have enough money to send him some now and then), he's effectively a prisoner of the NCAA guidelines. A lot of scholarship athletes don't much apart from their scholarship. I know what it's like to have nothing in your pocket but your meal ticket while several of your friends even have cars and can put gas in them, etc. It was complete BS when a couple SU basketball players were cited for getting a minimum wage job handing out towels at the local YMCA, while the NCAA and the schools make hundreds of millions of dollars. So I think something does need to be done for scholarship athletes in college today. For "fair" is not the same as "equal" and the NCAA apparently doesn't understand that. Nor do they want to.

Websters 1828 Dictionary: Slavery
SLA'VERY, noun [See Slave.]

1. Bondage; the state of entire subjection of one person to the will of another. slavery is the obligation to labor for the benefit of the master, without the contract of consent of the servant. slavery may proceed from crimes, from captivity or from debt. slavery is also voluntary or involuntary; voluntary, when a person sells or yields his own person to the absolute command of another; involuntary, when he is placed under the absolute power of another without his own consent. slavery no longer exists in Great Britain, not in the northern states of America.

2. The offices of a slave; drudgery.

After wiggling off the NCAA hook UNC's defense of their athletic department could have drastic campus wide impact. What IF the FBI turns its attention to the academic fraud that UNC has basically admitted to. Their defense that it was a broad based fraud so not specific to athletes would not likely receive the same response from the feds as it did the NCAA. I'm not naive enough to believe this will really happen but IF it did UNC could be placing its academic accreditation at risk which would be much worse than anything the NCAA could throw at them.

After wiggling off the NCAA hook UNC's defense of their athletic department could have drastic campus wide impact. What IF the FBI turns its attention to the academic fraud that UNC has basically admitted to. Their defense that it was a broad based fraud so not specific to athletes would not likely receive the same response from the feds as it did the NCAA. I'm not naive enough to believe this will really happen but IF it did UNC could be placing its academic accreditation at risk which would be much worse than anything the NCAA could throw at them.
Julius Nyang'oro has already served state (IIRC) jail time basically for timecard fraud in connection with the "courses". (He said he was in a classroom teaching a class when he really wasn't.) Someone is going to be really, really hard-pressed to find a Federal nexus for the UNC-CHeat case.

It's over. It's done with. Schools that require their athletes to go to class have lost. It's time to move on.

Where do we go from here?
It looks like a very slippery slope with all roads leading down.
Yup. We're going to have to choose from a catalogue of repugnant choices because the NFL and NBA refuse to form viable minor leagues.

Julius Nyang'oro has already served state (IIRC) jail time basically for timecard fraud in connection with the "courses". (He said he was in a classroom teaching a class when he really wasn't.) Someone is going to be really, really hard-pressed to find a Federal nexus for the UNC-CHeat case.

It's over. It's done with. Schools that require their athletes to go to class have lost. It's time to move on.
What do you think the percentage of schools that don't offer these kind of mystery classes is? Not judging. More curious. I'm a skeptic and think there are many more Carolina's out there than not.

What do you think the percentage of schools that don't offer these kind of mystery classes is? Not judging. More curious. I'm a skeptic and think there are many more Carolina's out there than not.
Everyone has easy classes including Stanford and the Ivies. A goodly number of Stanford's football team majors in "Science, Technology, and Society." I'd like to believe that UNC-CHeat was a total aberration since there was supposed to be an e-mail or statement by Crider that she came up with this scheme to keep AA athletes eligible. They were at least the most blatant about it. What would have helped in determining how much these classes were open to other students was a timeline showing the enrollment pattern of when the football and basketball players started taking the courses compared to when they let all their friends know how good a deal it was and the rest of the students started enrolling. Just saying "It was open to other students" doesn't tell the whole story.

Too big to flail.

"Slavery?"

You are actually comparing college athletes to slaves?

It reminds me of a line from a Beatles song, "But if you been carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, ain't nobody going to listen to you anyhow."

Yes, I am. 100%

And everyone who supports the NCAA is an enabler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom