RIP Fab Melo. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Fab Melo.

I'm betting that Boston will honor Fab one night soon so I hope we don't actually have to wonder whether Syracuse does.
Honoring him against Louisville would be perfect as they were the other school he was seriously considering besides us

Man this sucks. An image bearer of God, a part of the Syracuse Orange family, gone unexpectedly. I think most agree that human life is the greatest commodity, not an arbitrary measurement of who "benefits a program or not." Sad day.

My favorite Fab Melo play was a drive and dish he had to Rick Jackson. It just wasn't the kind of move you ever saw out of a guy his size. Can't remember exactly which game and have never found video of it, but it was nuts.

Really pisses me off that's ESPN's announcement article includes a bit about impermissible benefits. Seriously screw them for that. Give the man his respect, don't tarnish his name in this tragic moment. He made a mistake at 20 years old. Bunch of scum at the world wide leader.

Really pisses me off that's ESPN's announcement article includes a bit about impermissible benefits. Seriously screw them for that. Give the man his respect, don't tarnish his name in this tragic moment. He made a mistake at 20 years old. Bunch of scum at the world wide leader.
I mean, JB alluded to it in his remarks. It's not a secret. If you just read espn's article, trust me, the original edit was much worse with some mocking of Fabs NBA time - because what journalist doesn't mock someone on the day they die?..

I mean, JB alluded to it in his remarks. It's not a secret. If you just read espn's article, trust me, the original edit was much worse with some mocking of Fabs NBA time, because what journalist doesn't mock someone on the day they die?..
His remarks were about how it was sad that he was remembered that way. ESPN just threw it in there because they could.

We will laugh again, but we will never be young again.

Godspeed, my friend.

Any proper reporting on this needs to paint the complete picture. Even coach mentioned it. Otherwise it's called revisionist history, and we don't need to be accused of that. RIP Fab.

This is for all the lonely people
Thinking that life has passed them by
Don't give up
Until you drink from the silver cup
She'll never take you down or
Never give you up
You'll never know until you try

RIP Fab

My favorite Fab Melo moment was during the 2012 season against UConn he started the game making 2 elbow jumpers against Andre Drummond. He was a master of the big guy taking a charge.

RIP Big Fella. Way too young.

Disagree, DW. It's a lot of people agreeing that life is more important than sports. Which is the exact opposite of a train wreck.

Fair enough. Lots of great posts in here, no question. The focus should be on remembering and honoring the man and that's it.

I loved that BE Tourney game in his freshman season where Fab suddenly had a monster game. I remember a great pass he made that showed his impressive skill level for a guy that big.

Any proper reporting on this needs to paint the complete picture. Even coach mentioned it. Otherwise it's called revisionist history, and we don't need to be accused of that. RIP Fab.
Right, so I guess all obituaries should include every mistake an individual made. His shortcomings have been discussed over and over in the past. Today should not be one of those days. It should be about his positive impacts on this world.

I feel sad for a human being whose life is over at just 26. I feel sympathy for his family who no doubt loved him. SU fans liked him just fine that season before the suspension. Nobody really knows who bears the blame for the paper fiasco, it wasn't all on Fab. But the NCAA/NBA feeder system did this guy no favors. He clearly was not academically able to do college work. He would have been better off playing in Brazil or Europe for a couple years and then going to the NBA...as many foreign players do today. That wasn't as preferred a route in 2010 when he came to SU as a freshman. RIP Fab.

Wow... 26 years old. So much promise and such a tragic ending. I'll always remember the promise and excitement he brought to the program. Rest in peace big fella.

He didn't play for the 25-0 team but he was a huge with the 2012 team. Still think that was the best Cuse team of all time.
My bad. Must be getting old. I'm misremembering things like Roger Clemens.

My favorite Fab moment occurred during an interview he gave with a teammate on the radio. I believe he was asked about growing up in Brazil and he stated that Brazil had many beautiful beaches....but it did not sound quite like beaches. Both his teammate and the radio broadcaster cut him off & told him you can't say that on the radio.
Even to this day, I still smile when I think about the interview. It was much funnier then how I presented it.

RIP Fab

Unbelievable. So young. hard to have any other reaction at this point. Say hello to Conrad MacRae.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom