RIP Fab Melo. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Fab Melo.

RIP Fab.
With it apparently being a heart attack, I wonder if Marfan Syndrome was at play.

Every person’s experience with Marfan syndrome is slightly different. No one has every feature and people have different combinations of features. Some features of Marfan syndrome are easier to see than others. These include:
  • Long arms, legs and fingers
  • Tall and thin body type
  • Curved spine
  • Chest sinks in or sticks out
  • Flexible joints
  • Flat feet
  • Crowded teeth
  • Stretch marks on the skin that are not related to weight gain or loss

Was he less than a saint? Was he less than a favored son? Do children much younger die every day?
Still, have to fight back tears when a kid so young passes away...

I would say Melo is the second best Center in SU history. Siekaly being the best.

At one point that 2012 team was like 31-1 with the one loss when Fab was suspended.

He was a defensive force. He could hit 12-15 foot jumpers too.

image.jpg

I'll allways remember that big smile. RIP Fab.

No Fab, No Future For Syracuse?

Melo does not have the Orange's lowest DRating (that belongs to Waiters), but it's clear that Melo has the biggest impact. His engagement rate, or DPoss%, of 26.1 is the highest on the team, and the fact that he's able to maintain a strong DRating (86.5) while impacting so many plays is impressive. Syracuse's entire 2-3 seems to take its cues from Melo. "The most important position in the zone is the center," assistant coach Mike Hopkins said. "Fab protects the paint ... he lets us be more aggressive on the perimeter, and he's the eyes for the whole defense, talking and directing everyone else."

11cuseanimated.gif

RIP Fab.
With it apparently being a heart attack, I wonder if Marfan Syndrome was at play.

Every person’s experience with Marfan syndrome is slightly different. No one has every feature and people have different combinations of features. Some features of Marfan syndrome are easier to see than others. These include:
  • Long arms, legs and fingers
  • Tall and thin body type
  • Curved spine
  • Chest sinks in or sticks out
  • Flexible joints
  • Flat feet
  • Crowded teeth
  • Stretch marks on the skin that are not related to weight gain or loss
My first thought, too. Many of the deaths due to Marfan's are due to an enlarged heart.

I would say Melo is the second best Center in SU history. Siekaly being the best.

At one point that 2012 team was like 31-1 with the one loss when Fab was suspended.

He was a defensive force. He could hit 12-15 foot jumpers too.
People laughed when I called him our Most Valuable Player. With him we win the NC. Without him, we didn't.

First, RIP Fab. 2012 Big East DPOY & starting center on one of the best SU hoops teams of all time. He always played hard & enjoyed himself & his teammates on the court.

2nd, I've always found it baffling how people assume a 20 yr old ESL student in just his 3rd year in a foreign country took it upon himself to approach academic/AD staff & concoct a plan to re-write a paper to keep himself eligible. Fab made some mistakes/poor decisions off the court, none that many a beloved SU player didn't also make, but "cheating" on a paper himself just wasn't one of them.

I hope they do a Fab tribute Monday night.

He was terrific taking a charge. RIP!

R.I.P, regardless of issues, sad to see someone so young pass away. Life is much more important than some game.

I hope they do a Fab tribute Monday night.

He was terrific taking a charge. RIP!
As I said on the first page it will be interesting to see the response from the school. If the school does the right thing, a moment of silence with a highlight reel would be appropriate.

As I said on the first page it will be interesting to see the response from the school. If the school does the right thing, a moment of silence with a highlight reel would be appropriate.
Black 51 patches on the unis for the remainder of the year too...

His mother found him in bed. As a mother I just can not imagine that situation. It must have been so tragically horrible.

I'm betting that Boston will honor Fab one night soon so I hope we don't actually have to wonder whether Syracuse does.

Was a tough game, and while I was getting excited because the win was cemented already he busts out with this and got me more pumped. Will never forget that.
Quintessential Fab moment. This & him hitting a late jumper his Frosh year against St. John's in MSG & jogging back up the court laughing. The kid always had fun & enjoyed the game.

I remember his debut, 1st exhibition game in Orange when he stole the ball, dribbled 3/4 of the court, perfectly timed his long strides, & dunked. Me & the rest of this board collectively salivated. Fab's 1st hoop:

Let's win the whole damn thing in his memory.
This was a thought I also had. He is Orange family, and let's honor him, and get this done...also for JB...

Jim Boeheim ‏@therealboeheim
I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of Fab Melo. He was a kind, genuine person who was committed to doing his best while he was at Syracuse. Our staff and his teammates were fortunate to have had the opportunity to know Fab. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom