Roberson' illegal screen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson' illegal screen

Eh Robey got him with the leg. Most refs swallow the whistle but it was dumb.
In real time you cant even see the leg slightly extended, only in slo mo. Would love to hear the ref explain what he saw in real time. 90% of teams never have to worry about that call ever being made. I really think we should think long and hard about bball going back to Big East. Lol

Pls elaborate
Ball handler essentially is allowed to take an initial step without it being a charge. Think they modified the rule on that a few years back.

BTW we easily had 2000 fans. Heard a GTech fan say it looks like a Gd Dam Cuse home game

Just back from the game... BS calls all over...80/20 GTech favor

Did TV talk about the inbound play where the GTech guy step on the line?
Not that I recall but I think it was Lydon who was guarding him on the out of bounds and said something but the ref didn't do crap.

that screen is seldom called.but to be fair the same could be said of the offensive push off foul on the dunk.

Just back from the game... BS calls all over...80/20 GTech favor

Did TV talk about the inbound play where the GTech guy step on the line?

On a number of occasions, GT was guilty of 5-second violations

Ref should be fired from calling another game...you just do not call that because it was legal and second you just dont call it when there is just 16 seconds and it is so freaken obvious...let them play unless it is a flagrant foul...this is the same ref who called it out on Syracuse when it hit Techs man 3 times before going out/ was reversed but the ref was 2 feet away and still called it against syracuse...something is up with that ref and it doesnt smell good

Looking at that video, Gillon not JB called for the Roberson screen. To be honest if I had been Gillon, I would have passed to Roberson who was running free unguarded across the lane and hope that Roberson has the basketball IQ to realize that Lammers had to make a decision whether to guard Lydon or Roberson since it was now 2 on 1. If Roberson squares up and faces Lammers , Lammers would probably take a step towards him leaving Lydon alone for a dunk. It shows me that either Gillon is lacking basic PG vision/mindset or his teammates don't trust Roberson offensively. Look at the video and stop it at 3 seconds in.

Honestly, that was a terrible call. Roberson got burned twice and it was pretty pathetic.

On the one he got before that last one the idiot went to undercut him to box out and completely whiffed. Robey just sort of brushed him out of the way as he was going by. I rewound that one a few times, and still see no contact that had any impact whatsoever. His hand swipes the jersey during the blow by, but dude was going nowhere anyway. I mean, let's not reward a player for completely missing a 6'9" 220+ pound dude on an attempt to box out.

Looking at that video, Gillon not JB called for the Roberson screen. To be honest if I had been Gillon, I would have passed to Roberson who was running free unguarded across the lane and hope that Roberson has the basketball IQ to realize that Lammers had to make a decision whether to guard Lydon or Roberson since it was now 2 on 1. If Roberson squares up and faces Lammers , Lammers would probably take a step towards him leaving Lydon alone for a dunk. It shows me that either Gillon is lacking basic PG vision/mindset or his teammates don't trust Roberson offensively. Look at the video and stop it at 3 seconds in.

The call was horrible, but give this woman a gold star. It should never have come to this. The play was the dump down and an almost certain dunk by Lydon.

We got away with an inbound where our guy didn't even go out of bounds.

I feel like our press gets away with a ton of reaching which is why I think we should do it more often.

The call was horrible, but give this woman a gold star. It should never have come to this. The play was the dump down and an almost certain dunk by Lydon.

Sad we didn't recognize and make GT pay for their huge defensive mistake at such a crucial point in the game.

Yes I thought it was a bad call on TR but ya got to play smart there. There were a couple others called on Cuse where there was literally no or very slight contact like at least one called on TT (I think his 4th which means he has to exit the game for awhile).

I think everyone is forgetting how stupid it was to have Robertson I. The damn game at that point and not someone else. The kids head is clearly not in anything. Also a much much larger point is the refs and coach boeheim didn't go to the replay screen when Lydon got elbowed in the face. Perhaps we wouldn't be talking about this if they had called a flagrant like they should have earlier in the game. This is all on boeheim he didn't coach well tonight. You don't allow Gillon to be in the game as much as he was with the scoop like plays and terrible decision making he was having over Howard or battle. Terrible Teri le loss to another inferior team and if we don't make the tournament you can point to these types
Of losses and decision making that has played the team.

They probably don't trust Roberson offensively. I know I don't.

one play doesn't lose a game. let's all agree on that.

One play can lose a game, one play can win a game - it's irrelevant how teams have played when you get near the end of a close game, all that matters at that point is winning.

If the refs in the Clemson game called Lydon for a charge, we lose. Instead, no foul was called and Battle wins the game with a 3. At the end of a close game you want the players to decide the outcome, you don't want a ref making a questionable call. You DO want the refs to make obvious calls however, you can't let everything go.

That ref may have cost SU an NCAAT bid.

Probably 20 screens combined in the game like that. It sucks. Battle was ready in the corner for the winner too. You can see him going crazy that he didn't get a shot. That wasn't an illegal screen, and it really isn't even close. I don't care what time of the game it is. It's never called, and never should be. Time to beat Duke, or Louisville, and payback on GTech, then two in the ACC Tourney. Sadly, we aren't good enough anyway even if we make it.

First of all, imagine the reaction on this board if Gillon passed to Roberson and he bobbled it/turned it over/missed a shot. He's a black hole on offense, which is fine, I'm not trying to knock him for that in particular... But there's no way the play needs to run through him there.

Secondly, take another look at the video. Gillon either has to pass over or around his defender. If he floats it, they have time to shift and it will no longer be a 2-on-1 down low. If he takes a dribble to the left to wrap a pass around, the player out top is likely to step over and he has to thread it through. If he takes a dribble to the right to pass he has minimal room and may get trapped.

The play as-is was the right concept. You have Roberson on the floor, use him for a screen. Gillon should have waited a split second longer to allow more time to set it, and Roberson could have set it slightly cleaner, and the refs could have swallowed the whistle. If any one of those things happens, Gillon is driving at the free throw line with four options: White on the left wing, Battle in the left corner, Lydon down low, or his own shot... Plus he has 15 seconds on the clock and can pull it out if he needs to. Probing to the free throw line with the three guys you'd prefer to take the shot (in whatever order) getting set up was a fine play there... Unfortunately, two people made very small mistakes (Gillon and Roberson) and one made a still relatively small mistake (the ref).

If that call is made on the first possession of the game, it's questionable, not the worst call ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom