Roberson' illegal screen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson' illegal screen

And Gillion have one other player! TT on the bench he could've passed to! The biggest error was on JB why on earth did he have Robberson in the game at that point! Maybe it was open he got fouled go to the free-throw line miss both and JB could eviscerate him at the post game conference.

We got away with an inbound where our guy didn't even go out of bounds.

I feel like our press gets away with a ton of reaching which is why I think we should do it more often.

The inbound thing happens quite a bit throughout games. Refs don't usually call it unless it's super blatant. It's like a shortstop or second baseman turning a double play; as long as they get their foot close-ish, it's all good.

We got away with an inbound where our guy didn't even go out of bounds.

I feel like our press gets away with a ton of reaching which is why I think we should do it more often.

Yeah - that was really strange. It was either White or Battle... pretty sure white. and he crow hopped up over the line almost like he was jumping high as he could and thew it while in mid air.

The inbound thing happens quite a bit throughout games. Refs don't usually call it unless it's super blatant. It's like a shortstop or second baseman turning a double play; as long as they get their foot close-ish, it's all good.

It was pretty blatant and right in front of the ref. It was not a natural move either. He jumped to do it.

Anyway, I still feel this team will be special when it's all said and done.
Same here.

I feel like Jim Fassel re: NY Giants circa 2000. "This team is going to the playoffs/NCAA Tournament."

"One play can lose a game, one play can win a game - it's irrelevant how teams have played when you get near the end of a close game, all that matters at that point is winning."

no. the game is 40 minutes long. not 15 seconds. if you need one call to win then you didn't play well enuf.

Last edited:
the ref saw the guy go down hard and assumed it had to be a hip check. typical ted valentine style assuming.
Similar situation just now in UVA-Miami. Clean block by the Miami defender with 4 seconds left, but the offensive player's momentum caused him to fall hard so the ref assumed he was fouled

I posted something late last night about the ref who made our call: Doug Shows.

In 2014 he was named the second-worst official in college basketball based on a three-year study of those whose calls most favored the home team over the visitor.

The norm is about two fewer calls against the home team, and Dougie was nearly at three. As mentioned, only one ref had a bigger disparity.

I posted something late last night about the ref who made our call: Doug Shows.

In 2014 he was named the second-worst official in college basketball based on a three-year study of those whose calls most favored the home team over the visitor.

The norm is about two fewer calls against the home team, and Dougie was nearly at three. As mentioned, only one ref had a bigger disparity.
You know it's a bad call when the color and play by play guys think it's on the other team.

It really doesn't matter if he was set or not. That is icing on the cake for our argument. Short of felonious assault, you dont call it right there. there was no big advantage gained by the screen. its not as if he pulled a guy to the ground under the basket and then another of our guys laid it right in from where the guy was dragged

I watched the replay 3 times. That's only a foul if you want it to be a foul.
Same here. I watched the play over and over and that was not a foul on Roberson.

I thought the whistle should've been swallowed. Not enough there to make a critical call like that. BUT, to me Roberson turns his right elbow/forearm out to almost bump or make contact with the kid. Not a big deal per se but if there is anything to see it was that. He was pretty set so I can't imagine it was an issue with Roberson's feet there and/or 'moving' IMO.

I haven't really posted about this game because it was even more frustrating than UL to me. Some really head scratching coaching decisions and the team looked so inept in terms of knowing how to attack GT. I don't get it. They had some time off and should've played better, at least offensively. Also, I lost track already but who the hell was the poster suggesting Lammers isn't that good and/or that a guy like Mathiang is better? Lammers is extremely skilled on both ends. He's not a freak athlete but he gets the job done for sure. That poster should banish himself from here for awhile.

no. the game is 40 minutes long. not 15 seconds. if you need one call to win then you didn't play well enuf.

That's not true at all, despite not playing well they played well enough to win. The fact that it was a 2-point game prior to Roberson's foul is proof of that, no call and a 3 potentially wins it for SU despite not playing well for 40. If SU played better during the game maybe they win, maybe they don't - there are too many variables to say SU would've won it.

Refs are a part of the game, regardless how the teams play for 40 minutes or 15 seconds, the refs can affect the outcome and in this case they did. Let's look at a similar game against Clemson. Clemson shot the ball better from 2, 3, and overall (obviously). Additionally, they had less turnovers, less fouls, more assists, more steals, and more blocks. SU was outplayed and would've lost if the refs called a charge on Lydon. So, in this game, SU didn't play well and won.

In CLOSE games that come down to the last possession it doesn't matter how the teams played during the game, each team has the opportunity to win or lose AND the refs can be a factor in who does. Everything prior to the end is irrelevant because each team has a CHANCE to win anyway no matter how they played.

Last edited:
Also, I lost track already but who the hell was the poster suggesting Lammers isn't that good and/or that a guy like Mathiang is better? Lammers is extremely skilled on both ends. He's not a freak athlete but he gets the job done for sure. That poster should banish himself from here for awhile.

I had my doubts about Lammers before the game but not after. Not a freak athlete at all but he is definitely skilled and has a great touch. Gets off the ground well too.

the ref saw the guy go down hard and assumed it had to be a hip check. typical ted valentine style assuming.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what happened. Stupid way to officiate.

" Everything prior to the end is irrelevant because each team has a CHANCE to win anyway no matter how they played."

they play 40. best team wins. unless you're claiming the entire game was a screw job you're just wrong.
calls were missed both ways. i don't see the "fix". and did the crucial call take points off the board ? no.

they say the calls even out over the course of a season. if so, then this is the bill coming due for White's moving screen on Gillon's game-tieing shot vs NCSU

they say the calls even out over the course of a season. if so, then this is the bill coming due for White's moving screen on Gillon's game-tieing shot vs NCSU
Uuuh, you have to actually make physical contact with someone for it to be a moving screen foul. He's entitled to move.

That's not true at all, despite not playing well they played well enough to win. The fact that it was a 2-point game prior to Roberson's foul is proof of that, no call and a 3 potentially wins it for SU despite not playing well for 40. If SU played better during the game maybe they win, maybe they don't - there are too many variables to say SU would've won it.

Refs are a part of the game, regardless how the teams play for 40 minutes or 15 seconds, the refs can affect the outcome and in this case they did. Let's look at a similar game against Clemson. Clemson shot the ball better from 2, 3, and overall (obviously). Additionally, they had less turnovers, less fouls, more assists, more steals, and more blocks. SU was outplayed and would've lost if the refs called a charge on Lydon. So, in this game, SU didn't play well and won.

In CLOSE games that come down to the last possession it doesn't matter how the teams played during the game, each team has the opportunity to win or lose AND the refs can be a factor in who does. Everything prior to the end is irrelevant because each team has a CHANCE to win anyway no matter how they played.
IDK. Maybe they didn't play well enough to win. Maybe the refs helped one or the other team out along the way and they wouldn't have been in it otherwise. People only see a fraction of the action and have no idea if their team played well enough to win.

Thought we got away with a turnover when both Lydon and Roberson where holding the ball to take it out of bounds. Roberson stepped out, then let go of the ball and Lydon stepped out to in-bound the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom