Roberson is going to get his chance this week. | Syracusefan.com

Roberson is going to get his chance this week.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
A lot of people said he'd be starting at the beginning of the year, he's going to get his chance to show what he can do in extended minutes this week. Reading through the tea leaves, grant definitely isn't playing tomorrow.

I think it's worth it for Grant to stay out of tomorrow's game and give the back more time to heal. Sit out or stay in whatever position on the sideline is best for that back.

CJ needs to get with Roberson and give him some guidance. CJ had three great years of sitting back and letting the game come to him. He didn't do too much or try and force things. Roberson will be a great player, but we don't need him to carry the team. Play great defense, be in position for offensive/defensive rebounds, keep moving on offense, play like he's got a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove, be in the right spot on offense for quality shots, etc.

I think there's a very good chance that this very thing occurs. We need Grant to get better for the long haul, but focusing on the here and now there is a tremendous opportunity ahead of Roberson. He's inexperienced but has fresh legs. He's supposed to be an above average rebounder. Both of those things could help reverse some recent trends.

Really excited to see what this kid can do, and curious to see if he somehow carves out a mini-niche that enables JB to "bolster" depth for the stretch run by one additional player. Maybe Roberson plays well enough to continue starting, enabling JB to bring Grant off of the bench once he returns, giving us a luxury scorer as a reserve.

The key will be for Roberson to focus on the things he can control, and not worry about scoring / shots. Rebound the ball. Play your area of the zone. Provide weak side shot blocking. Those things play to his strength. Then, get out on the break, run the floor, and look for transition scoring opportunities / putbacks. Don't try to do too much. Defer to the veterans on offense and let the shots just come in the natural flow. If he does those things, he'll be fine.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think there's a very good chance that this very thing occurs. We need Grant to get better for the long haul, but focusing on the here and now there is a tremendous opportunity ahead of Roberson. He's inexperienced but has fresh legs. He's supposed to be an above average rebounder. Both of those things could help reverse some recent trends.

Really excited to see what this kid can do, and curious to see if he somehow carves out a mini-niche that enables JB to "bolster" depth for the stretch run by one additional player. Maybe Roberson plays well enough to continue starting, enabling JB to bring Grant off of the bench once he returns, giving us a luxury scorer as a reserve.

The key will be for Roberson to focus on the things he can control, and not worry about scoring / shots. Rebound the ball. Play your area of the zone. Provide weak side shot blocking. Those things play to his strength. Then, get out on the break, run the floor, and look for transition scoring opportunities / putbacks. Don't try to do too much. Defer to the veterans on offense and let the shots just come in the natural flow. If he does those things, he'll be fine.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

That's interesting that you bring up the idea of Grant off the bench. Some people may forget that's how we started the year when Coleman was healthy. Interesting theory to possibly explore again

I think Grant should sit and rest until NCAA tourney. For those who have not experienced back issues, you use for back for everything. You don't realize it until it is hurt. RFest him so he is ready for tourney.

It just occurred to me that we should expect Roberson to be awesome. Most who advocate for players to leave early argue the theory that you get way better by not playing games and instead by practicing. So Roberson's lack of game experience really should have no bearing whatsoever on how well he has developed this year. He's essentially a soph now and could/should play like it in the coming weeks.

I personally think he will surprise a lot of people because he'll be relaxed and not worried about getting pulled for the most minor offense. Remember how much better Grant was last year when he had to play vs when JB could give him the hook?

It just occurred to me that we should expect Roberson to be awesome. Most who advocate for players to leave early argue the theory that you should get the guaranteed money while you can, in case you get hurt.

Fixed it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom