"Roberson is the most disappointing player ever at Syracuse" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Roberson is the most disappointing player ever at Syracuse"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a board myth that he is just now stringing together good performances. He played very well in conference as a sophomore after being asked to assume a larger role, with some big scoring and/or rebounding games, and actually averaged 8.8 ppg and 8.4 rpg in ACC games. You could look it up.

And out of ALL the ACC games last year he had 5 where he reached both his average PPG and RPG. Those are very nice averages but you could not count on him game in and game out to give you 9 and 8. Because he'd either give you 4 and 5 or 12 and 15.

I've seen TR, on at least a few different occasions around here, grouped in with the "My 3 Sons was one of the biggest recruiting busts ever at SU" mantra.

He is easily the best of the 3, but that's also not saying much. I think Tyler is a very solid player and if he could be consistent he will have a crazy good senior year.

And out of ALL the ACC games last year he had 5 where he reached both his average PPG and RPG. Those are very nice averages but you could not count on him game in and game out to give you 9 and 8. Because he'd either give you 4 and 5 or 12 and 15.
Nobody hits their averages within a point or rebound or two every game. Nobody. And Roberson wasn't exactly an offensive focal point on last year's team, and Christmas was sucking up a high percentage of available rebounds.

I think you need to broaden your perspective and look at the game logs of other players. Perhaps then your expectations for "consistency" will be tempered.

We're not talking about a jump shooter who takes 10 3s a game, a guy like Roberson who's offensive game consists of defense, rebounding and close to the basket scoring are far more consistent than that.

I understand you want to defend him and but you're being ridiculous defending that he's a consistent player. Consistent players don't get 17 rebounds one game and 4 the next and have the peaks and valleys that he does. Almost EVERY game that Syracuse has had on TV the past 2 years it's mentioned multiple times how inconsistent he is and you don't know what player is going to show up. This isn't some new revelation.

I'm not sure who made comparisons to Billy Owens but I know I made some comments regarding Dennis Rodman and how TR could model his game after his. The only thing stopping him was the inconsistencies. Seventeen rebounds one game and three the next. And I think he is trying to show how he has been working hard on the offensive end. That mid range J keeps some people honest and opens the floor for our other guys. I still like to see him take it a couple times per game but I don't think anyone is going to be comparing him to Larry Bird. However he has improved.

Billy Owens was the number 1 player in his class. He was a complete stud who could do it all at 6'9. Anyone comparing Tyler to Billy coming out of high school was crazy. Who knows, maybe it was his AAU coach. This is the same guy who is on the record as saying Tyler would be the number 1 pick in the NBA someday. I love Tyler but he is not going #1 this year or next.

Mourning was considered to be Owens equal coming out of high school as #1 or #2. But anyways Owens could handle the ball with ease and drew comparisons to Magic. Roberson was #55 on scout. 2 totally different players in every way.

Tyler is a guy who is going to rebound like a mother, play as hard as he can, and maybe contribute some buckets in the pick and roll. He's not a foundational player or anything, but if he is your third best front line player (possible next year) you can have a hell of a team
when you are the best rebounder in the ACC you are a foundational player. he is not just a glue guy. he is indispensible.

Billy Owens was the number 1 player in his class. He was a complete stud who could do it all at 6'9. Anyone comparing Tyler to Billy coming out of high school was crazy. Who knows, maybe it was his AAU coach. This is the same guy who is on the record as saying Tyler would be the number 1 pick in the NBA someday. I love Tyler but he is not going #1 this year or next.
His future depends on developing a J over the summer.

I'm not sure who made comparisons to Billy Owens but I know I made some comments regarding Dennis Rodman and how TR could model his game after his. The only thing stopping him was the inconsistencies. Seventeen rebounds one game and three the next. And I think he is trying to show how he has been working hard on the offensive end. That mid range J keeps some people honest and opens the floor for our other guys. I still like to see him take it a couple times per game but I don't think anyone is going to be comparing him to Larry Bird. However he has improved.
If he can maintain this level of rebounding I wouldn't' care if he never scores a bucket again .. its totally off the charts ..

First of all, Roberson played a hell of a game yesterday, and deserves all of the accolades and praise that gets.

Second of all, I think that much of the disappointment is due to the expectations that many had for him coming in. I don't think people realize that he was rated higher, for example, than Tyus Battle is currently on ESPN. He was a top 35 recruit nationally. That may not be fair to him, but how would people feel if Tyus Battle was a non-factor his freshman year, only got to play significant minutes his sophomore year because of an injury to another player, and then still struggled greatly with consistency half-way through his junior year? Given how many people on the board think that Battle is going to step in and be better than G his freshman year, I think they'd be EXTREMELY disappointed.

Even just recently, Roberson still forced us to play 4 on 5 at times as he'd receive the ball around the elbow with the defense scrambling and would take three hesitation dribbles out to the three point line. We might expect that from a 3 star recruit a la Baye or even Rautins, but not a borderline 5 star recruit like Roberson. Now, I don't think that's very fair, especially since Roberson hasn't demanded the attention of a star, and has seemed to have a very good attitude consistently, but I think that is the explanation for why so many, including myself, are left wanting more from Roberson.

Last edited:
We need an archive of interesting posts. Of course all of my number crunching and "history lessons" would be in it. :rolleyes: But for the rest we could have a button to click on to nominate a post. When it gets a certain number of nominations, it get archived. We could include the ones that correctly predicted something and also the ones that totally whiffed, (like the infamous "Andy Rautins is a waste of a scholarship").

In fairness, I have been skeptical of Tyler's desire to play the game at times. I have never expressed them on this board because I root for all of our guys, but at the same time he has been rather lackadaisical in many games over his career. I am the first person to be excited for one of our players when they have a great game, in Tyler's instance he has been great the past three. I don't think our fans have been unfair about Tyler because we all know how physically gifted he is and it is frustrating when he hides in the games. I think this post is silly, because until recently he hasn't strung together consistent effort which is what a lot of people were frustrated about. With that said, I am super pumped for him because I think he may have turned the proverbial corner. Let's see if he can continue being aggressive.
IMO, there is nothing silly about it.
I've never, EVER, understood why any adult "fan" would publicly berate an amateur athlete on a team they allegedly support. That is one of the reasons this board can be unreadable at times.

I paraphrase but don't think that's much of an exaggeration from what was posted here a few weeks ago by some rocket scientist.

I remember those comments. I said he'll play better once we are in big games just like last season. Except this year he's a little better re-bounder.

We need an archive of interesting posts. Of course all of my number crunching and "history lessons" would be in it. :rolleyes: But for the rest we could have a button to click on to nominate a post. When it gets a certain number of nominations, it get archived. We could include the ones that correctly predicted something and also the ones that totally whiffed, (like the infamous "Andy Rautins is a waste of a scholarship").

Yes, yes. There should be someone who has the title of "board historian" (hehe, see what I did there) who curates this fan post hall of fame and handles the digging through old posts for ideal nominations. How hard Would it be to set up a page on the site devoted to this?

Yes, yes. There should be someone who has the title of "board historian" (hehe, see what I did there) who curates this fan post hall of fame and handles the digging through old posts for ideal nominations. How hard Would it be to set up a page on the site devoted to this?

This "board historian" should be a poster without other responsibilities, such as reporting on coach's shows, doing statistical analysis and posts on sports history.

Dare I say it, he could be on his way to becoming Dennis Rodmanesque...

Well it certainly isnt TR, but one could argue that this "award" could go to someone on this team, in the likes of KJ, or DC.

He has been fantastic, living up to the hype this quote gave him before he was on campus, "
While the rest of his Syracuse teammates were playing a preseason tour in Canada, Tyler Roberson was taking on NBA stars Kyrie Irving and C.J. Miles in the East Orange Pro Am.

Roberson erupted for 51 points and 14 rebounds to lead his team past the pros in the league’s championship game on Aug. 14."

Source: http://dailyorange.com/2013/11/the-...catching-up-after-waiting-for-ncaa-clearance/

Here is my first nominee...I think the merits of this post speak for itself..

Richardson is the worst shooter in many years..and should only shoot within five feet of the basket
Roberson and Cooney off the Bench
Joseph as starting PG

Thank God JB doesn't see what this poster sees...

Hopefully he sees what I see - that (1) Richardson is the worst three point shooter we've had in many years (funny how he was hyped to be a good shooter) and his only FG attempts should be within five feet of the basket and (2) Lydon needs to stop being a scaredy cat and he needs the 2nd most FG attempts on the team behind Gbinije.

We need Gbinije and Lydon to average 24 and 18 ppg, respectively. If that means we need to try to develop a point guard starting yesterday and move G off the ball so he gets more attempts, so be it. He's a pure scorer and needs to be treated as such. And Lydon is a natural scorer and also needs to be treated that way.

This is a flawed team but I think it has a chance if the parts are used correctly. Take the early lumps and start either Howard or Joseph at point, move Gbinije to the 2, start Lydon and bring Cooney and Roberson off the bench.

Here is my first nominee...I think the merits of this post speak for itself..

Richardson is the worst shooter in many years..and should only shoot within five feet of the basket
Roberson and Cooney off the Bench
Joseph as starting PG

Thank God JB doesn't see what this poster sees...
What was Richardson's 3 point FG percentage when this post was written, stalker?

Do you bookmark all of my posts? Weirdo.

We just need a good search function of past posts. One that has three search boxes. First box narrows the list, second box narrows it more, third box narrows it even further. Plus after and before dates as part of the search.

Oh, I smelled trouble when you proposed this... :cool:

What was Richardson's 3 point FG percentage when this post was written, stalker?

Do you bookmark all of my posts? Weirdo.
Well, anyone who thought Joseph should play, let alone start:crazy:, should have their post bookmarked.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom