Roberson the light bulb is coming on... | Syracusefan.com

Roberson the light bulb is coming on...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Really looking forward to seeing him take it to the rim down the stretch in the near future.
Hes playing the best basketball of his career, and its not even close.

Unc 5-5 3 for 4 from the line for 13 points.
Clemson 7-12 for 14 points.

Great Job!

Really looking forward to seeing him take it to the rim down the stretch in the near future.

Great Job!
you are right, when this kid plays w/ confidence he is awesome, spin move, dribble down and finish, how can jb get him to play this way 40 a game? We are all bemoaning our lack of inside presence and its right there if someone can figure out how to make tr play hard and confident su will be a much better team.

Thank god hes hitting the mid range because we dont have a guard or anyone besides Malachi opening up space downlow for him

Great Job!
Can't disagree with any of this, but he sat the last two minutes of the UNC game (when we really needed him) because his play on the other end of the floor is just awful. He has to figure out how to play defense.

Can't disagree with any of this, but he sat the last two minutes of the UNC game (when we really needed him) because his play on the other end of the floor is just awful. He has to figure out how to play defense.

Actually, he didn't. I just went back and watched the end of the game (and most of the second half). He got yanked by JB with 3:08 left, yelled at for part of a minute while Lydon gave up a dunk on his side coming too far out on Jackson, UNC scored again on a Jackson floater in the lane, G threw the ball away (2 points for UNC), and then JB put Roberson back in with 1:49 left in the game. And he played the rest of the game, acting as the ball contest on the press which resulted in no turnovers and a couple easy dunks for UNC.

The reality is that none of our wings did well in the second half in the zone. That's because Roy adjusted to the wings coming out so high and contesting 3-pointers that UNC wasn't taking because they were shooting 18% for the game. I can give you examples for all three with the time stamp to prove how easily we got picked apart.

By the way, JB yanked him because he got called for a foul in the middle of the zone that resulted in a made basket with very little actual contact. Lydon got dragged low to defend a guy near the block but closer to the baseline, the UNC guy hit a cutter to the middle of the zone, and Roberson came over from the other side to defend. One thing we do very badly as a team is allow a shooter to make a shot after we foul them (Lydon at under a minute gives up a reverse and gets called for the foul for example). I hate giving up an and-1.

Roberson did a couple things badly I noticed. In the press, he has his arms up when the ball is out of bounds, but not as much when the first pass is made and he comes over to trap. He needs to use that length more.

He also got caught outside the 3 line with the ball and nowhere to go with it. He has to be stronger with the ball, but the guards need to come get it from him. He ended up throwing the ball away at about 7:55 left trying to get the ball to G who was going more toward the hoop instead of straight to Roberson to get the ball. Cooney couldn't break free and help and ended up not getting back in time after the TO and it resulted in a layup at the other end.

I know Cooney had a great game offensively, but the times I saw our zone most shredded in the second half was when the ball was on his side of the court, regardless of who the wing was behind him. I don't know if it's coincidence or because he's not contesting the pass to the foul line or if he's just late getting out to the shooter on the wing and that slows the wings slide back to his normal spot closer to the basket. It does seem like Cooney goes lower toward the foul line when the ball is on the opposite side than G. That could be part of the reason he's slower to get out to the shooter.

imo he was finding his feel for the rim. Some guys it just takes time for them to find it. Throwing a round object that bounces high at a slightly larger round object takes precision, touch, eye contact and softness with the rim.

Crazy to see imo. imo jr rak was further along then him "feeling them rim" his jr year, and he was still far,far away because he wasn't getting into the low post much. That being said I thought Robbie may never get it before graduating. However, In two games notice it has seemed to click for his first time ever, during Hop's time at the helm.

Time will tell but I think he finally found the right key.

Don't know why he sat for the last 15 minutes of the game. If we need him to produce (we do) and he's getting into a rhythm (debatable), one would think that would have been valuable developmental time for Roberson.

Don't know why he sat for the last 15 minutes of the game. If we need him to produce (we do) and he's getting into a rhythm (debatable), one would think that would have been valuable developmental time for Roberson.

He did have 4 fouls and the last two were just him being too exuberant and aggressive on the boards. And we were winning by 20.

He did have 4 fouls and the last two were just him being too exuberant and aggressive on the boards. And we were winning by 20.

Ordinarily that would make sense (especially considering the fouls), but Boeheim had starters out there with a minute to play. I'd think he'd want to get Roberson back in there for five minutes or so under ten with a safe lead (assuming developmental time is valued and he's trying to coax the kid's confidence back up).

Perhaps he was satisfied with Coleman's play and trying to max out Lydon's minutes at his real position. That'd be fair.

Ordinarily that would make sense (especially considering the fouls), but Boeheim had starters out there with a minute to play. I'd think he'd want to get Roberson back in there for five minutes or so under ten with a safe lead (assuming developmental time is valued and he's trying to coax the kid's confidence back up).

Perhaps he was satisfied with Coleman's play and trying to max out Lydon's minutes at his real position. That'd be fair.

I was thinking about that as well. He was also likely trying to continue working on Coleman's game conditioning. Great effort by him to be active and stay on the court without fouling out.

I also wondered why we still had starters out there up 25 with 2 minutes to go.

I was thinking about that as well. He was also likely trying to continue working on Coleman's game conditioning. Great effort by him to be active and stay on the court without fouling out.

I also wondered why we still had starters out there up 25 with 2 minutes to go.

In a perfect world I'd have gotten reserves in, but when we haven't won in weeks and we have some kind of shaky players doing positive things that might boost their confidence (or just get them productive court time), it's nice to take advantage of that.

In a perfect world I'd have gotten reserves in, but when we haven't won in weeks and we have some kind of shaky players doing positive things that might boost their confidence (or just get them productive court time), it's nice to take advantage of that.

Shaky potatoes didn't need to be on the floor with 2 left. Sorry, couldn't help myself there. I would have liked Howard back out there, or give Kaleb a go against weaker comp.

This team could be fairly solid if five out of our seven players are playing well. We need G and TR to be solid every night. Then we need three of Cooney, Lydon, Coleman, Richardson and Howard to be playing well each game. The problem has been that G hasn't been good, hopefully last night snaps him out of his funk and he gets back to being G. Richardson has strung together some good games, although he could stand to cut down on the turnovers. If this team can find it's flow, we could see some good wins. We have already seen some ugly losses, so hopefully we see no more.

Shaky potatoes didn't need to be on the floor with 2 left. Sorry, couldn't help myself there. I would have liked Howard back out there, or give Kaleb a go against weaker comp.

Boy, I feel bad for Kaleb. Last time we played Boston College he had what many thought was a real
"turning the corner" performance.

Another good one for Tyler. 16 points with 13 rebounds. Shot 50% from the floor and 80% from the line. Well done.

And finishing a bit with the left hand - loved the left-handed floater.

Yes he seemed to really confident from the line today. Nice to see.

Yeah, he had a one-and-one in the first half and we only had one guy on the lane. Roberson calmly made both. Nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom