Rocky Long | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

What's your read on this hire for Syracuse, the good and the bad? And how is Arnett as a recruiter? Your insight is greatly appreciated
Arnett was one of 3 coaches SDSU fans saw a few years back as taking over the program when Rocky retired. We then lost White and Gonzales to ASU and then Rocky decided to retire earlier than expected. If it was 3-4 years from now and somehow we were able to stop Arnett from leaving for a P5 DC before then he would have been the guy. Of all the coaches on defense we’ve had him and Gonzales stood out the most. You got a really good coach. He has a high ceiling and be great full every year he’s there because he’s going to be a head coach in a few years. We are in waiting pattern hoping that Rocky decides to stay like he said he would. No word yet but expecting something next week. Not sure who he’ll train to take over the D if he comes back because I don’t see that person on the staff right now. There might be some learning curves this year but the defense will get better every year. Funny thing is I’ve wanted Sterlin as our OC for years. You know have him and Arnett. You guys should be happy with that combination in a year or two.

Arnett was one of 3 coaches SDSU fans saw a few years back as taking over the program when Rocky retired. We then lost White and Gonzales to ASU and then Rocky decided to retire earlier than expected. If it was 3-4 years from now and somehow we were able to stop Arnett from leaving for a P5 DC before then he would have been the guy. Of all the coaches on defense we’ve had him and Gonzales stood out the most. You got a really good coach. He has a high ceiling and be great full every year he’s there because he’s going to be a head coach in a few years. We are in waiting pattern hoping that Rocky decides to stay like he said he would. No word yet but expecting something next week. Not sure who he’ll train to take over the D if he comes back because I don’t see that person on the staff right now. There might be some learning curves this year but the defense will get better every year. Funny thing is I’ve wanted Sterlin as our OC for years. You know have him and Arnett. You guys should be happy with that combination in a year or two.
This is good to hear.

When we lost Lewis my sense was the only up and comer we had left on our staff was Lustig. Lynch is a disciple, and Ward was kind of just a guy.

So very good to hear that we've brought in a riser that is expected to someday steer his own ship.

Did Arnett call the Defenses the last 2 years? Also, who is/was your best recruiter?
I see Gonzales was recently named the New Mexico HC, so will be interesting to see if Arnett ultimately follows that path.

Did Arnett call the Defenses the last 2 years? Also, who is/was your best recruiter?
I see Gonzales was recently named the New Mexico HC, so will be interesting to see if Arnett ultimately follows that path.
Rocky calls the plays from the sidelines and makes adjustments as the offense adjusts. Arnett was in charge of the defense and worked with the rest of the staff for the game plan. How much input from Arnett during those 20 some seconds is hard to define. The defense looked much better than when Gonzales was heading it up for a couple of years. He did pretty good at ASU. Best recruiter? Horton does well in the Reno area and Texas. Cooper does well in Vegas. When White was here he was our best and now it’s more balanced.

Rocky calls the plays from the sidelines and makes adjustments as the offense adjusts. Arnett was in charge of the defense and worked with the rest of the staff for the game plan. How much input from Arnett during those 20 some seconds is hard to define. The defense looked much better than when Gonzales was heading it up for a couple of years. He did pretty good at ASU. Best recruiter? Horton does well in the Reno area and Texas. Cooper does well in Vegas. When White was here he was our best and now it’s more balanced.
Thanks. Appreciate your insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom