Rocky Long | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

bnoro

Lurker
With the Rocky Long tweet from Pete Thamel I thought it would be interesting to get some context on a potential hire.

Here are a couple of interesting articles about his particular brand of defense:

If this somehow happened I think it would be an absolute slam dunk (even if Rocky only has 2-3 years left since he's 69). Seems like he wants to step back from the full HC role.

I don't know. that defense gets hurt by good running backs. and the guy is 69.

What's the difference between his 3-3-5 and what WV has played for years?

What's curious to me is still the connection to Navy as they play a 3-3-5 as well.

Would he be the first senior citizen in history to move from San Diego to Central New York voluntarily?

If so, can the Hopkins/Pacific Northwest fanboys stop using geography as a reason Hopkins would never return?

one good thing looking at their schedule is that they never get blown out. of course its not a P5 schedule.

Go get him Dino!

Maybe SU can get Shafer to run it? He loved it at Michigan.

If you can't get prototype DTs and NGs, this is a way you can still be successful on defense. I think it makes great sense for Syracuse, whether it is the flavor Navy runs or San Diego State runs.

We can recruit players for this defense a lot easier. We can put a lot of pressure and introduce confusion with it.

NC State tried to put the 3-3-5 in with former WVU coach Tony Gibson last fall. It doesn't work out well and Dave Huxtable, who apparently fought it some, got the blame and the ax.

Would he be the first senior citizen in history to move from San Diego to Central New York voluntarily?

If so, can the Hopkins/Pacific Northwest fanboys stop using geography as a reason Hopkins would never return?
The only other person in the world to attempt this migration was Bud Poliquin. Let's hope a second try is the charm.

What's curious to me is still the connection to Navy as they play a 3-3-5 as well.
Looking at any version of 3 down DL makes sense at a school where recruiting DT's has been a problem. Even Clemson used 3 DL much of the time this season.

I think it's smarter than attempting to force square pegs into round holes. Gotta make lemon aide when given lemons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom