Rome, Italy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rome, Italy

We're looking into Rome and the Amalfi coast next summer. We're having a hard time picking where we want to stay on the coast. Positano looks beautiful but it might be a bit too touristy. We'll have three generations of good travelers who will want to spend a little time at the beach but mostly soak up the culture and scenery on the coast in between sightseeing trips. Any suggestions?

We're looking into Rome and the Amalfi coast next summer. We're having a hard time picking where we want to stay on the coast. Positano looks beautiful but it might be a bit too touristy. We'll have three generations of good travelers who will want to spend a little time at the beach but mostly soak up the culture and scenery on the coast in between sightseeing trips. Any suggestions?

Rome is probably cheaper to fly to than Naples. I would recommend flying to Rome and staying there like 2 days just to see major sites. Then take the high-speed train to Naples (90 mins or less). Stop for a pizza then IIRC it's probably a van/bus/private car to Amalfi Coast.

Rome is probably cheaper to fly to than Naples. I would recommend flying to Rome and staying there like 2 days just to see major sites. Then take the high-speed train to Naples (90 mins or less). Stop for a pizza then IIRC it's probably a van/bus/private car to Amalfi Coast.
Air Italia is pretty skimpy on the leg room.

Paris in 2019 was, and will be, the last time I visit a big tourist city in Europe during summer; they are just too crowded now (unless COVID has changed it). I stayed in Positano a couple of years ago to see the temples at Paestrum. It was quite nice, but don’t plan on driving around a lot; There is literally one, narrow, east-west road in Amalfi and it is a jammed up nightmare in summer.

Paris in 2019 was, and will be, the last time I visit a big tourist city in Europe during summer; they are just too crowded now (unless COVID has changed it). I stayed in Positano a couple of years ago to see the temples at Paestrum. It was quite nice, but don’t plan on driving around a lot; There is literally one, narrow, east-west road in Amalfi and it is a jammed up nightmare in summer.
Thanks. Unfortunately I am stuck with the school vacation calendar so just about anywhere we wanted to go suffered from complaints of being over crowded. I have been to Rome before and I am optimistic that with some planning we'll be able to manage the crowds. We found a house where we can unwind in the little town of Atrani, just down the coast from Positano, where we can unwind after Rome. I'm looking forward to seeing Paestum. We're going to take the boats from town to town as much as we can to avoid that road.

Get tix in advance for Vatican. Hopefully not flying Air Italia and their cramped seating.
Had friends who did Air BnB. Evidently get expedited tours with four or more in an Air BnB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom