Ron Morris refuses to rank SU basketball | Syracusefan.com

Ron Morris refuses to rank SU basketball

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Apparently a protest of the Bernie Fine situation. Nunes Magician has a mention of this tool who won't rank us at all. He votes in the AP poll and writes for The State, in Charleston, SC.

Here is the phone number for the newspaper's Sports department: (803) 771-8470

And here is this jerk's direct contact information:

Columnist
(803) 771-8432
If he refuses to vote for a team that has legitimately earned a ranking because of his personal bias, he should lose his vote for the AP.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/11/12/3636424/syracuse-basketball-no-8-in-latest-ap-coaches-polls

what is he protesting? that a closeted gay man was outed? that the uni fired an innocent man before all the facts were known? or is he still laboring under the impression that SU is really Sandusky U?

what is he protesting? that a closeted gay man was outed? that the uni fired an innocent man before all the facts were known? or is he still laboring under the impression that SU is really Sandusky U?

I would guess the last choice.

That is why they have multiple people casting ballots, so you reduce the impact of the outliers.

But what is his beef with the Bernie Fine situation, that SU hasn't hired him back?

I don't remember hearing it was about Fine. He just has a bug in his ass over SU for some reason. When we were undefeated and ranked #1 last year, he ranked us #4, saying he has some system that he uses based on preseason magazine predictions (which he doesn't recalculate during the year) and number of seniors on teams and other nonsense. Even so, that would be all well and good, except that there's no way he looked at preseason rankings this year and found a way to calculate that Syracuse was outside the top 25.

In conclusion, he's just a douchebag.

And Ron Morris matters because ____________ :noidea:

He really doesn't, you're right. However, if he isn't going to vote for a team based on a botched ESPN/Schwartz investigation, he should have his voting power taken away from him. That guy is an asshat.

It is unreal how you are guilty until proven innocent, but even with the Feds dropping their case, you are still "guilty".

And Ron Morris matters because ____________ :noidea:
Of course he doesn't really matter in the end, but his type of thinking undermines the integrity of the AP poll. As I'm sure you know, this approach to voting once cost Ted Williams an MVP award when a writer left him completely off his ballot.

Apparently a protest of the Bernie Fine situation. Nunes Magician has a mention of this tool who won't rank us at all. He votes in the AP poll and writes for The State, in Charleston, SC.

Columnist
(803) 771-8432
If he refuses to vote for a team that has legitimately earned a ranking because of his personal bias, he should lose his vote for the AP.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/11/12/3636424/syracuse-basketball-no-8-in-latest-ap-coaches-polls
Thank you for the contact info for the newspaper and the asshat. Any contact details for feedback to the appropriate department with the AP? If not, I'll try to find some when I get home, just thought I'd ask.

He's a Confederate and doesn't like Yankees. That's probably why.

In the days of massive cuts at Newspapers, think of the publicity that he is receiving from people that are not in his viewing region. Imagine the amounts of hits he is receiving on his blog/articles because he has taken his emphasis on a Northern School. Do you think his viewers care what a Northern school feel? If he screwed over a southern school (ACC or SEC school) then he might have a large amount of viewers that cared. Just because the Civil War is over, the sentiment towards Northerners is still there!! (I hear it down here in TX-usually as a joke) In the end of the day, does it affect SU at all that he has them unranked. If this was college football, then he would be out of a vote in the long run.

Columnist
(803) 771-8432

Just for clarification from a current Charleston resident...that paper and Ron Morris are in COLUMBIA SC...those of us in Charleston are much more refined than that heathen...

Of course he doesn't really matter in the end, but his type of thinking undermines the integrity of the AP poll. As I'm sure you know, this approach to voting once cost Ted Williams an MVP award when a writer left him completely off his ballot.

And two of them left Joe DiMaggio off the ballot. (Per Bill James)

I'm sorry , did Mr. Fine say he was a gay . I didn't hear him say that . Thanks in advance .

They should just do it Olympic-style and throw out the 5 highest and 5 lowest votes for each school.

And two of them left Joe DiMaggio off the ballot. (Per Bill James)

Was this in 1947, one of Williams' Triple Crown years? I believe DiMaggio won the voting by a single point that year. Hard to justify not putting either of those two guys in your top 10, but that was far from one of DiMaggio's greatest statistical seasons.

Contacting his newspaper won't do much, need to get a hold of whoever administers the AP poll with the evidence of continued bias.

It's not complaining that he ranked someone two spots lower than needed, it's him leaving out top 6 teams out of spite. That's completely unprofessional.

And it does affect things. Being ranked #1 at any point in the season is a huge recruiting tool, and SU actually is in a position to compete for #1 ranking during every season. Nothing like being ranked #2 only a few points short from a team at #1 because some left a legitimate top 2 team completely out of his ballot.

Honestly, this guy. The best way to get back at him is to just win, baby--and make him look foolish for not ranking us high when everyone else universally considers us top 5.

Honestly, **** this guy. The best way to get back at him is to just win, baby--and make him look foolish for not ranking us high when everyone else universally considers us top 5.
Exactly. Who cares, the more you make a deal of it the better he feels about himself.

This isn't football and the BCS, regardless of this douchebucket we will still be highly seeded come march and able to win it all.