Roster Addition by Subtraction? | Syracusefan.com

Roster Addition by Subtraction?

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
We typically think of our high minute, high stat guys as being essential to the team's success and we want those guys to return year over year. We've had some notable exceptions in recent years, where clearing some of those guys out of the way before their eligibility expired was followed by a year where we seemed to have better team results.

Given what we are looking like this year, if it was entirely up to you, do you want to bring back and build next year's team around Tyus, Oshae and Elijah? They have all been big numbers guys for us, also pretty inconsistent. Are they big numbers guys because they are great players, or because they get big minutes and heavy usage.

I am not enamored with any of them at the moment as I don't particularly like the team chemistry, the "effort" or the basketball IQ of this roster. Could we be better next year with a bigger roster turnover.

I'm thinking of 2003 following up on showing DeShaun Williams the door after the 2002 season. The 2009-10 team arising out of Paul Harris, Devo and Jonny Flynn all leaving early.

I realize that there is no Melo in our incoming recruiting class, but as a team we don't seem to come close to equaling the sum of the parts that we have on the roster, so maybe we need a different mix of personalities?

Tyus Battle is a very good player. Unfortunately he has been on teams with severe handicaps. The best offensive team he has been on was when he was a freshman, and he was not a top offensive option amongst a team full of shooters that could spread the floor. Unfortunately, that team still had zero offensive cohesiveness, and was atrocious defensively.

Oshae on the other hand, is an inefficient player who puts up counting stats by sheer volume. I expected that to change this year, and it actually has improved slightly (which is scary), but it's still very poor. Giving him the ball and letting him drive to the basket from anywhere, especially the top of the key, is asking for a poor outcome a good portion of the time and is, quite honestly, terrible coaching strategy.

Hughes has hit a mid-season skid. Not uncommon. hope he turns it around. He is still a valuable scorer/shooter. Ball-handling is still too dicey and for some reason he struggles catching the ball cleanly a lot. But he is a good piece to have back.

OB is a net negative player . He looks like one of those tall balloon things that bends in the wind .. no strength through even the most minimal contact . And is a brick layer from 3

We will be more talented next year, with or without Battle.

Always think back to over the summer JB in an interview said something along the lines of "everyone hears all 5 starters are back and automatically assume you'll be good, but if the 5 guys coming back werent that great to begin with is it really a blessing?" Foreshadowing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom