roster spots 11-13 | Syracusefan.com

roster spots 11-13

Should the coaches fill out the roster (spots 11-13) even if it is only with "supplemental" players?

• Total voters

CardiacCuse

All Conference
the 24-25 roster has been stuck on 10 schollie players for a while now...will it stay that way? are we done?

there have been a quite a few rumors of potential options for those spots...I don't think the coaches are done...but the roster remains at 10

one thing I'm seeing whenever a new player gets rumored is a lot of disappointment and dismissiveness of the potential options at those spots...but who do you guys expect to take those spots??

let's be realistic!

the remaining spots on the roster won't likely be all-american candidates or on NBA draft boards

that's not how this works

but for me, filling those spots will 100% make the team and roster better vs. leaving them empty

i hope the roster gets filled out and I hope people realize if it does, it will be with supplemental players...

I guess I'm confused by the question. Why wouldn't they fill the roster?

If you have only 10 players, you are one injury away from enlisting intramural players to be able to run a full practice.
seems obvious to me that they should...

but there seems to be a lot of sentiment against any player that gets rumored to be added (i.e. not good enough, etc.)

...and it's been a month since the last player was added to the roster...the portal is being thinned out every day...

plus some people are saying there's now no money to add anyone...

soooo....

kinda curious how long they can wait and why they would wait if they are actually going to add new players from here...

I guess I'm confused by the question. Why wouldn't they fill the roster?

If you have only 10 players, you are one injury away from enlisting intramural players to be able to run a full practice.

Rosters are permanently locked in stone on Memorial Day.

Didn't you get the memo?

Do you shoot yourself in the head when you have a headache?
I hate guns so no.

What have we gotten out of giving schollies to guys like Paterson or Carey? Not much. One of those games in Hawaii Carey came in and it was close and he just got abused the other team was shooting free throws missed and his pathetic attempt for a rebound was so bad they got an and 1 off a missed FT. No thanks.

I'd just chop up the scholarships between the walkons. I assume basketball can share them because sports like Lax and Soccer divide 10/12 among a 40 person roster (that said how many dudes are suited up on our sideline for lacrosse IDK why the hell the team is so big) there is no reason to develop players for other programs.

I think we should still go after a player if he can add value, whether it be as a rotational player or as someone who can at least compete and push rotational players at practice and also has a chance of getting into the rotation next year.

Is it possible to get such a player when if telling the prospect the truth, we can probably only provide back part of the rotation, situational minutes. I think our chances are best if we only look for seniors or grad players who are at this point not hoping for an NBA career but just want to extend their college bball career or is looking to get a "free ride" to complete a master's degree (ie: Mahoney).

I hate guns so no.

What have we gotten out of giving schollies to guys like Paterson or Carey? Not much. One of those games in Hawaii Carey came in and it was close and he just got abused the other team was shooting free throws missed and his pathetic attempt for a rebound was so bad they got an and 1 off a missed FT. No thanks.

I'd just chop up the scholarships between the walkons. I assume basketball can share them because sports like Lax and Soccer divide 10/12 among a 40 person roster (that said how many dudes are suited up on our sideline for lacrosse IDK why the hell the team is so big) there is no reason to develop players for other programs.
Basketball and football are headcount sports. Scholarships cannot be divided.

I think it's an absolute must that we bring in another player who can play center and has multiple years of eligibility left. There don;t appear to be any big man prospects that are high on our list for the Class of '25 and with McLeod and Lampin both exhausting eligibility I would hate to go into next spring needing to pluck multiple 5s from the portal. A high potential RF or Soph prospect, even if he doesn't contribute much next season should be the target. Losing both Patterson and Carey left a void in terms of longer term roster management.

I think it's an absolute must that we bring in another player who can play center and has multiple years of eligibility left. There don;t appear to be any big man prospects that are high on our list for the Class of '25 and with McLeod and Lampin both exhausting eligibility I would hate to go into next spring needing to pluck multiple 5s from the portal. A high potential RF or Soph prospect, even if he doesn't contribute much next season should be the target. Losing both Patterson and Carey left a void in terms of longer term roster management.
The Marist guy could work.

Or Patterson returns.

I agree, but the problem is that it is hard to find a patient player who can wait next year for substantive minutes. Even guys who aren't ready don't believe in a process and want to play now.

What do you do? Lie about available minutes and see if the player transfer out next year? It's a tough business and I see why Jay Wright bailed.

I agree, but the problem is that it is hard to find a patient player who can wait next year for substantive minutes. Even guys who aren't ready don't believe in a process and want to play now.

What do you do? Lie about available minutes and see if the player transfer out next year? It's a tough business and I see why Jay Wright bailed.
Yep. Consigliere's theory sounds nice in practice, but doesn't jive with the current reality. Our NIL situation and the current market for bigs is such that whoever Red signs is going to get recruited over no matter what, so they have to find someone who is both capable of playing an emergency role but is okay with not having much guaranteed beyond that in 2025-26, if anything. That Venn Diagram is going to be quite small.

Most coaches are going to just constantly churn those parts of the roster the way MLB GM's do with relievers and bench guys.

Last edited:
I hate guns so no.

Not so.

Yep. Consigliere's theory sounds nice in practice, but doesn't jive with the current reality. Our NIL situation and the current market for bigs is such that whoever Red signs is going to get recruited over no matter what, so they have to find someone who is both capable of playing an emergency role but is okay with not having much guaranteed beyond that in 2025-26, if anything. That Venn Diagram is going to be quite small.

Most coaches are going to just constantly churn those parts of the roster the way MLB GM's do with relievers and bench guys.
Worst case is he is practice fodder for a year and either shows little promise and transfers down, or just takes up the roster spot. Best case is he does show the ability to compete, looks at the 2025-26 prospective roster and sees the opportunity and becomes a solid contributor who has a year of experience in Red’s system. Either case is better than leaving the spot open and hoping you can grab two portal centers next time around.

Patterson returning may well fit the bill.

the remaining spots on the roster won't likely be all-american candidates or on NBA draft boards

i hope the roster gets filled out and I hope people realize if it does, it will be with supplemental players...
I think that's a good point except I was hoping that we could still get a starting PG from the portal after whiffing on Leffew. Doesn't look like that's happening so I will get behind Carlos and/or whatever else we throw at that position. I would be lying though if I didn't say I was concerned.

Developmental players don't stay so it's not worth investing in them. Every player on the roster gets NIL $. In the new world it makes more sense to spend your NIL $ among fewer players who actually play and make a difference. Seems that is the way some coaches are going and may only have a roster of 10/11.

Developmental players don't stay so it's not worth investing in them. Every player on the roster gets NIL $. In the new world it makes more sense to spend your NIL $ among fewer players who actually play and make a difference. Seems that is the way some coaches are going and may only have a roster of 10/11.
If some coaches are only going 10-11, that means some guys that are pretty good might not have somewhere to go.

Unless we're that place to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom