Rotation question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rotation question

Buddy was the leading scorer and shot 50% from the floor and from three, he‘s the guy you want to crap on?

Definitely. Well, sorta more on JB, but Buddy tends to be the recipient of his gifts.

I already knew he could provide elite level spacing at any position, and hit open threes in a blowout. Should we give him extended run at the 5? Did he kill it on the boards? I think a team that one game before was bemoaning "no options" could prioritize developing options over Buddy scoring points because JG is having a good floor game.

It's like watching a 50s B&W TV show with them...cue up the Leave it to Beaver track! That sequence was straight up sitcom level comedy where Buddy fouled and then forgot the game continues:

Awe, Dad! I fouled.
C'mon Bud! (Laughing) Do what i taught you at home!
Take out the garbage?
No, Buddy! Get down on defense!
(Insert Laugh Track)

Darn it, Dad, i forgot to play Defense while we were laughing!
Awe, Bud! Your Mom isn't going to be happy with us!
Buddy smiles and shrugs, cue close up, coach laughing in background. "That's my boy!"
(Insert Laugh Track)

Last edited:
And, even assuming that's true, it suggests the presence of other recruiting and roster management issues.
I don’t disagree with that at all. We’ve missed out on too many A list targets over the last few years and, while the staff has been able to bring in some second level recruits that blossom into contributors the early departures of marginal NBA prospects has exacerbated the issue. Hopefully things are changing with commitments from players like Benny and Dior (I know, I know) but the inability to establish any type of talent continuity has been a core concern.
And when you tie up 4 scholarships on centers and still play an undersized 4 at then position 35+ mpg...

Why do Buddy and Joe need 35 and 39 minutes in a game like this?

Why can't we see line up with
Kadary / Buddy / Griff / Braswell / Edwards or

Kadary / Griff / Newton / Braswell / Edwards or

Kadary / Joe / Buddy / Newton / Braswell

Why can't we seem to rotate more than two guys off the bench for more than 2 minutes of game time?
TV timeouts, there's many of them, for catching your breath

So then we only have 3 guards on this roster and zero commits for 2021 on guards.
Great job by the staff.
I generally agree with your posts. But you’ve been banging this drum and beating this horse for weeks, and I don’t agree. We only have three guards now, and there’s not even enough minutes to go around as it is. We’re all complaining that Kadary needs to play more minutes, and you want the staff to bring in *another* guard? That’s bizarre. That could provoke a KR transfer. JB has never played *four* guards regular minutes in a season. At this point, I just want JB to play Kadary 25-30 mpg and split the rest between Buddy and JG3 and play Kadary primarily at PG. Invest in developing KR now and he’ll have a chance to be great next season. If you recruit another high rated guard in 2021, it’s just more mouths to feed. The only way that makes sense is if Dior reclassifies and decides to play for a year in college and come to SU. In that case, JG3 would be the odd man out for one year and may even consider a transfer. you’d be recruiting over the other guys and that’s not something JB is likely to do unless it’s for a generational talent like Dior. IMO, Griffin is fine as a break glass in case of emergency backup SG, if one of the regulars ends up battling an injury. He’ll probably be able to improve his driving abilities over the next year, too, just like Elijah did.

I generally agree with your posts. But you’ve been banging this drum and beating this horse for weeks, and I don’t agree. We only have three guards now, and there’s not even enough minutes to go around as it is. We’re all complaining that Kadary needs to play more minutes, and you want the staff to bring in *another* guard? That’s bizarre. JB has never played *four* guards regular minutes in a season. At this point, I just want JB to play Kadary 25-30 mpg and split the rest between Buddy and JG3 and play Kadary primarily at PG. If you recruit another high rated guard in 2021, that’s just more mouths to feed and JB isn’t going to go for that. The only way this makes sense is if Dior reclassifies and decides to play for a year in college and come to SU. Then it’s a no brainer. In that case, JG3 would be the odd man out for one year and may even consider a transfer. Still, you’d be recruiting over the other guys and that’s not something JB is likely to do unless it’s for a generational talent like Dior. IMO, Griffin is fine as a break glass in case of emergency backup SG, if one of the regulars ends up battling an injury. He’ll probably be able to improve his driving abilities over the next year, just like Elijah did.
3 guards is way too thin. Especially if you have an injury or if you need a spark when 2 guards struggle.

Do we win the NC in 2003 if Josh Pace wasn’t the 4th guard and basically save us in the second round against Oklahoma State.
GMac and Duany sucked in the first half and we were getting blown out.
Pace and Edelin helped turn a 16 point deficit down to 6 at halftime and GMac had a good second half and we won going away.
You gotta have 4 guards on your roster that can play.
Every team has 13 scholarships if you can’t find 4 guards that negligence.
It doesn’t mean they all play 10-15 MPG every game but you need depth you can play when you need it.

Look at the MPG Buddy and Joe are playing too damn much for their production.

Buddy was not hot.
He was subbed out for Kadary.
The team went on a 22-3 run that turned the game around with Buddy on the bench.
Buddy scored the bulk of his points in the 2nd half when the game was over.

Alan got taken out for Buddy in the first half. Not the backup forward. I thought practice matters. When does Buddy practice the wing?
I wish Buddy and Alan were treated the same.

Their was no reason for Buddy and Joe to play as many minutes as they did. They did because the HC wanted them too. Braswell had been the backup forward he got passed as a forward backup for Buddy?
Why?

Nepotism comes to mind, just sayin'

3 guards is way too thin. Especially if you have an injury or if you need a spark when 2 guards struggle.

Do we win the NC in 2003 if Josh Pace wasn’t the 4th guard and basically save us in the second round against Oklahoma State.
GMac and Duany sucked in the first half and we were getting blown out.
Pace and Edelin helped turn a 16 point deficit down to 6 at halftime and GMac had a good second half and we won going away.
You gotta have 4 guards on your roster that can play.
Every team has 13 scholarships if you can’t find 4 guards that negligence.
It doesn’t mean they all play 10-15 MPG every game but you need depth you can play when you need it.

Look at the MPG Buddy and Joe are playing too damn much for their production.
If a good local kid or Northeast kid loves Cuse and wants to come here and the staff feels he can be good, then fine. I’m thinking of someone like Kevin Huerter, who they should’ve brought in despite his reclassification and not worried about the scholarship restrictions. Or if another underrated talent like Kadary pops up or a good transfer, then maybe you pounce.

If I knew JB was fine recruiting over Girard, that’s a different story. But I don’t think he is. And we know he’s not recruiting over Buddy, that’s for sure. I just don’t see enough minutes being available.

As for Pace and Duany, they were versatile SG/SF/wings. They also subbed for Carmelo and Hak at the forward spots. That’s basically Griffin, who should improve his ability to drive and attack the rim as the season goes on and into next season.

If a good local kid or Northeast kid loves Cuse and wants to come here and the staff feels he can be good, then fine. I’m thinking of someone like Kevin Huerter, who they should’ve brought in despite his reclassification and not worried about the scholarship restrictions. Or if another underrated talent like Kadary pops up or a good transfer, then maybe you pounce.

If I knew JB was fine recruiting over Girard, that’s a different story. But I don’t think he is. And we know he’s not recruiting over Buddy, that’s for sure. I just don’t see enough minutes being available.

As for Pace and Duany, they were versatile SG/SF/wings. They also subbed for Carmelo and Hak at the forward spots. That’s basically Griffin, who should improve his ability to drive and attack the rim as the season goes on and into next season.
We need 4 guards on scholarship just for roster management and practice.
I am not saying recruit a 4 star to be the 4th guard but we should have 4 guards on the roster.

Griffin isn’t a guard. JB doesn’t want to play him at guard. He could be a guard if he actually got minutes there but he doesn’t get them.

Everyone needs to shut up the coach is right.
We won by 30 why are we complaining.
No complaining is allowed.
Everyone needs to shut up the coach is right.
We won by 30 why are we complaining.
No complaining is allowed.
What...SU won by 30 because JB finally followed this boards advice and played more of Kadary and Edwards. Now JB is making it sound like it was all him

helpwanted.jpg

Buddy was not hot.
He was subbed out for Kadary.
The team went on a 22-3 run that turned the game around with Buddy on the bench.
Buddy scored the bulk of his points in the 2nd half when the game was over.

Alan got taken out for Buddy in the first half. Not the backup forward. I thought practice matters. When does Buddy practice the wing?
I wish Buddy and Alan were treated the same.

Their was no reason for Buddy and Joe to play as many minutes as they did. They did because the HC wanted them too. Braswell had been the backup forward he got passed as a forward backup for Buddy?
Why?

Padding stats.

Of course recent history also suggests there has been no one on the bench that could help very much.

Oh really?
Kadary, Braswell, Woody and Edwards have all had their moments this season to warrant a little more time than they're getting.

Oh really?
Kadary, Braswell, Woody and Edwards have all had their moments this season to warrant a little more time than they're getting.
Are you really going to complain about bench minutes on a day when we blew out a Top 20 team? Give it a rest for a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom