Rotation | Syracusefan.com

Rotation

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
After last night’s game, I’m left wondering what the is our rotation?

Starters play 40 and adjust as foul trouble or injury requires?

Goodine and Washington where have you gone?

Jesse Edwards were you in the building last night?

Washington hurt his knee in practice and couldn’t go.

Boeheim said didn’t want to play Edwards because of matchups: he needed to be able to cover the corners last night because all UNF did was shoot 3s.

Goodine...seems he’s out of the rotation, period. For now at least.

Boeheim said didn’t want to play Edwards because of matchups: he needed to be able to cover the corners last night because all UNF did was shoot 3s.

I want to just accept that JB knows what he is doing, but I can't help myself..... I have to question how Goodine could be out of the rotation when the rotation requires us to play Buddy and Girard 40 minutes? Just a painfully stupid way to try to develop this team to be something more than it is right now.....which isn't much.

Well, I guess if one of the guards gets into foul trouble we can always rotate Hughes to guard and play CD Bay more minutes.

There are always reasons.

I want to just accept that JB knows what he is doing, but I can't help myself... I have to question how Goodine could be out of the rotation when the rotation requires us to play Buddy and Girard 40 minutes? Just a painfully stupid way to try to develop this team to be something more than it is right now...which isn't much.

Well, I guess if one of the guards gets into foul trouble we can always rotate Hughes to guard and play CD Bay more minutes.

I'm guessing the answer is practice. Most of the guys on the bench are likely really bad at practice. I mean, cannot get minutes against mid-majors kind of awful at practice. Which, if you think about it, is rather scary.

I'm guessing the answer is practice. Most of the guys on the bench are likely really bad at practice. I mean, cannot get minutes against mid-majors kind of awful at practice. Which, if you think about it, is rather scary.
Alternatively, it's possible that Girard and Buddy are both exceptionally great at practice. Like, several standard deviations away on the positive side.

bottom line: JB plays the players that will win a game (can change depending on opponent)
Isn't it just a tad bit mysterious that we seem to have a smaller number of players that will win a game every single season than most other teams?

I find it mysterious. In fact, seems like a downright mathematical and statistical oddity.

bottom line: JB plays the players that will win a game (can change depending on opponent)

I dont disagree that that is JBs thought process and he may even be right. I just wonder if we’re sacrificing long term team/player development in a year when Making sacrifices for 1 or 2 wins may not make a difference.

I dont disagree that that is JBs thought process and he may even be right. I just wonder if we’re sacrificing long term team/player development in a year when Making sacrifices for 1 or 2 wins may not make a difference.

I don't know - I think last year we really made an attempt to reverse philosophy and give Frosh that started the season dreadfully a chance to earn minutes on the court. We seem to have changed course again, but it's for the best.

I’m not sure why people are so worried about rotations. Last nights game was close for 35 minutes. JB plays to win and taking out better players just for the sake of subbing Is never going to happen and shouldn’t happen. Coach has sets he runs for certain players. I doubt he runs sets for substitutes. It limits what he can do and effects the flow of the game. I think he has proved that our starters are our best players and will sub when he has to or to try and change things up. I think people tend to forget that if you bring someone in from the bench, someone has to leave. I would like to see Guerrier play more, but he needs to come in for Hughes or Marek. That doesn’t make us better. Marek at center is not a great option, but it works a little in a pinch. Sidibe is our best rebounder and has proved it throughout the season. He’s also much better defensively than anyone else in the middle. Washington is hurt and Braswell doesn’t have the body to bang. I do think Edwards provides a good presence in the middle, but he does get out-muscled. This team is still growing. Our front court subs are established, but our third guard still hasn’t been determined.

I’m not sure why people are so worried about rotations. Last nights game was close for 35 minutes. JB plays to win and taking out better players just for the sake of subbing Is never going to happen and shouldn’t happen. Coach has sets he runs for certain players. I doubt he runs sets for substitutes. It limits what he can do and effects the flow of the game. I think he has proved that our starters are our best players and will sub when he has to or to try and change things up. I think people tend to forget that if you bring someone in from the bench, someone has to leave. I would like to see Guerrier play more, but he needs to come in for Hughes or Marek. That doesn’t make us better. Marek at center is not a great option, but it works a little in a pinch. Sidibe is our best rebounder and has proved it throughout the season. He’s also much better defensively than anyone else in the middle. Washington is hurt and Braswell doesn’t have the body to bang. I do think Edwards provides a good presence in the middle, but he does get out-muscled. This team is still growing. Our front court subs are established, but our third guard still hasn’t been determined.
I'm worried about it because it's the same thing every season. EVERY SEASON.

Somehow, between either recruiting failures or the inability to develop players, we never have a bench. When we had guys on their way to the NBA playing 35+, well, ok. Last season we had G-League guys going 35+. This season outside of Hughes, we have guys with no immediate pro basketball futures clocking 40 mins. It's insane. Yes, they're our best players, but that's also damning.

Short of JB getting a mysterious note with letters taped on it saying every 30 seconds of court time logged by Goodine results in a hostage's death, there is zero reason for both Buddy and Girard to go 80 FREAKING MINUTES AGAINST NORTH FLORIDA.

This is a weakness of JB. He sees a lineup he's not comfortable with and he starts sweating bullets and convinces himself a disaster has happened. Meanwhile, in one minute of actual court time, both teams have missed a shot.

I guarantee that 4 or 5 minutes of Goodine last night would not have been a tragedy. We would have been fine.

Last edited:

I'm worried because the game last night was close for 35 minutes. North Florida is not very good.

The flow of the game? Did you see the first 10 to 12 minutes of that game?

In the first 10 minutes we had 10 points not scored by Braswell (I think on the forum that would have been unacceptable under JC fwiw), and we're playing South Florida. Certainly a powerhouse for the Northern portion of Florida, but otherwise not that notable, and they're 1-6 on the road.

And we were losing 19 minutes deep. Probably later than that as well.

Our starters (minus Eli) are not very good despite this odd theory floating around that they might be because we limit turnovers against mid-majors...

Even stranger we think a 38% three point shooter is somehow a historically great shooter...and brings Cooney like terror to opposing defenses with that percentage. When in actuality it's probably the same level of terror that Ivan Gandia-Rosa brings to opposing coaches. Which, although substantially terrifying, likely isn't keeping coaches up at nights as he poses no other threat.

If you haven't prepared your bench to compete against South Florida.....god help us all.

Ultimately, I want the rest of our pedestrian af roster to have a chance against mid-majors as well. We're not very good at basketball, we're going to need our bench.

If you haven't prepared your bench to compete against South Florida...god help us all.

Ultimately, I want the rest of our pedestrian af roster to have a chance against mid-majors as well. We're not very good at basketball, we're going to need our bench.
Yeah.

I'm worried because the game last night was close for 35 minutes. North Florida is not very good.

The flow of the game? Did you see the first 10 to 12 minutes of that game?

In the first 10 minutes we had 10 points not scored by Braswell (I think on the forum that would have been unacceptable under JC fwiw), and we're playing South Florida. Certainly a powerhouse for the Northern portion of Florida, but otherwise not that notable, and they're 1-6 on the road.

And we were losing 19 minutes deep. Probably later than that as well.

Our starters (minus Eli) are not very good despite this odd theory floating around that they might be because we limit turnovers against mid-majors...

Even stranger we think a 38% three point shooter is somehow a historically great shooter...and brings Cooney like terror to opposing defenses with that percentage. When in actuality it's probably the same level of terror that Ivan Gandia-Rosa brings to opposing coaches. Which, although substantially terrifying, likely isn't keeping coaches up at nights as he poses no other threat.

If you haven't prepared your bench to compete against South Florida...god help us all.

The problem is that the bench players are not as good. We easily could have lost if we overused our bench. JB is playing the best we have. Instead of being close we could have been down by ten. People would bitch because our starters were not on the floor. JB does have a clue about his team. This team has improved as much as any team I‘be years over the first 12 games. JB knows what he’s doing. He doesn’t need our approval. At times, this board sounds like parents of high school players who act like they know more than the coach.

The problem is that the bench players are not as good.
How come, with a trip to Italy and a preseason, we couldn't get Goodine ready to provide 5 non-game breaking minutes? Did we misevaluate his talent? Has the staff failed to get him game ready? There needs to be an answer.
I don't believe it anymore. I just don't. It's every season. It has less to do with how ready the players are and more to do with how comfortable JB is.

We never get to complain about "we lost because we should have had X in the game" because guys never come out. This season, I don't even care about the record. We can lose every game. Get Edwards 20 minutes a night. Get Goodine 20 minutes a night. Let Guerrier play through whatever mistakes. I'm fine with it.

We're not going to see that though. Which is fine, let's just be honest about why. JB is at a point where he doesn't put people on the floor unless he absolutely has to.

How come, with a trip to Italy and a preseason, we couldn't get Goodine ready to provide 5 non-game breaking minutes? Did we misevaluate his talent? Has the staff failed to get him game ready? There needs to be an answer.
I don't believe it anymore. I just don't. It's every season. It has less to do with how ready the players are and more to do with how comfortable JB is.

We never get to complain about "we lost because we should have had X in the game" because guys never come out. This season, I don't even care about the record. We can lose every game. Get Edwards 20 minutes a night. Get Goodine 20 minutes a night. Let Guerrier play through whatever mistakes. I'm fine with it.

We're not going to see that though. Which is fine, let's just be honest about why. JB is at a point where he doesn't put people on the floor unless he absolutely has to.

The Italy trip was a waste of time IMO. We got nothing out of it. We were still experimenting with Carey at PG. if the plan was to play Girard at point we should have started it there.

Preach this. My god it’s so true and maddening. We treat a game against North Florida like it’s game 7 of the playoffs. It’s just frustrating.

The Italy trip was a waste of time IMO. We got nothing out of it. We were still experimenting with Carey at PG. if the plan was to play Girard at point we should have started it there.
This is on the staff. It’s not just JB. The assistants need to be able to tell JB what he doesn’t want to hear. I have no confidence they can even if JB will say otherwise publicly because JB sez things.

Our players aren’t good enough to play these crazy minutes. How do players get better?

This is on the staff. It’s not just JB. The assistants need to be able to tell JB what he doesn’t want to hear. I have no confidence they can even if JB will say otherwise publicly because JB sez things.

Our players aren’t good enough to play these crazy minutes. How do players get better?
We live on a bizzaro plane where it is both true that we have players that must play 40 minutes, and we have other players that are completely incapable of playing any minutes.

Just. Seems. Weird.

Trying to figure out the rotation like

DADE8B63-7718-437E-9456-56940DD82CF5.gif

We live on a bizzaro plane where it is both true that we have players that must play 40 minutes, and we have other players that are completely incapable of playing any minutes.

Just. Seems. Weird.
You want to play Hakim Warrick 40 MPG okay.
You want to play Senior Michael Gbinije 40 MPG okay.

Okay why do other teams sit their best players for inferior players? I mean all elite players need rest. It’s just common sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom