Rotation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rotation

I bust in Rothstein and his over exaggerations, but I remember him tweeting that this would be one of Boeheim's deepest teams in a while.

Well...

We have a full roster of scholarship players how are the reserves so poor they can’t even play against North Florida?

When the starters struggle how we can expect to even compete. This strategy is just baffling. The talent playing all these minutes aren’t superstars.
How are the scholarship reserves so poor (or simply not ready to contribute now)? They just are. It isn’t logic or strategy — they have had a few chances, and done very little. There is a gap between our top 4 who contribute regularly at this point, then Sidibe, Guerrier and Edwards who are inconsistent but do some good things, then a gap to the others. JB is going to play the ones who give us a chance. Simple fact.

How are the scholarship reserves so poor (or simply not ready to contribute now)? They just are. It isn’t logic or strategy — they have had a few chances, and done very little. There is a gap between our top 4 who contribute regularly at this point, then Sidibe, Guerrier and Edwards who are inconsistent but do some good things, then a gap to the others. JB is going to play the ones who give us a chance. Simple fact.
If Goodine played for 40 minutes against North Florida nobody knows what type of numbers he would put up.
If he knew he wasn’t coming out except for injury or foul trouble we don’t know how he would play. I think our starters are our best players. The gap between them and the bench and minutes the bench get is just amazing.
Our starters may not need to sit but it does take a lot more energy to play 40 than it does to play 32 minutes.

You can’t play 100% for 40 minutes if you can then every team would play its stars 40 minutes. They wear down. They have inconsistent games. How do we prepare these reserves for conference opponents they will be needed for?

Is there anything better than having a center run wins sprints to the corner to eliminate himself completely from a rebounding chance?

Kinda feel like if the opponent shoots 85% of their shots from 3, and the defense we play requires the center to sprint to corner from the middle of the lane, that we might be better off playing a different defense against that team. Just my feeling though.

I was intrigued when I heard in the fall that man to man wouldn’t be out of the question this year.

Do you think Goodine looked serviceable in any games? Against any opponent? Genuinely curious which ones.

Do you think Goodine looked serviceable in any games? Against any opponent? Genuinely curious which ones.
He looked solid against Bucknell when he got PT.
Goodine was a higher rated recruit than Girard.
Girard is playing PG.
Goodine is a SG.
Buddy can’t sit because he is a better shooter.
If Goodine gets better whose minutes next year will he get?

I bust in Rothstein and his over exaggerations, but I remember him tweeting that this would be one of Boeheim's deepest teams in a while.

Well...
But didn't most of the board feel that way too?!

The links below are to a game from December 3, 2016 vs N. Florida (presser and boxscore). We were up 24 JB puts in the bench and they have up a huge run 12 or 14pts. We only won by 6.

The bench he brought in were Tyler Roberson, John Gillon and Taureen Thompson.
Thompson played 11 minutes for Coleman who played 29.

Gillon got 11 minutes for Frank Howard which is how the team turned the season around.

Tyler Roberson got 8 minutes from Lydon and White
I am sure it was the bench’s fault the opponent started hitting some contested 3’s.

That same bench which was responsible for a bunch of future wins that team had.

The links below are to a game from December 3, 2016 vs N. Florida (presser and boxscore). We were up 24 JB puts in the bench and they have up a huge run 12 or 14pts. We only won by 6.

I didn't watch the presser, but will later. Anyway, the bench was Roberson, Gillon and Thompson???

Why wouldn't he up 24.

Let's hope that didn't leave all that deep of a scar. Two of those guys would start on this team. Maybe 3?

Why is the staff incapable of putting together a bench unit?
Practice.
Once you get tenure you have to something major to lose it.
We have 3 players with tenure right now and Girard could be 4th.

recruiting. yes. a great program like syracuse should have bench players pushing starters for minutes. not bench players unable to even push bench quality starters for minutes. oh how the mighty have fallen.

Oh howe are the myghtie ouerthrowen.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the presser, but will later. Anyway, the bench was Roberson, Gillon and Thompson???

Why wouldn't he up 24.

Let's hope that didn't leave all that deep of a scar. Two of those guys would start on this team. Maybe 3?

I think all 3 of them start on this team. I think Dolezaj is a better overall player than Roberson, but Roberson was a much better rebounder and that’s what we’re weakest at. Thompson was a terrible defender and a chucker, but at least you’re playing 5 on 5 on offense with him. And Gillon would be the best guard on the team : as he should be as a 5th year senior.

We have a 44 year sample size that tells us that JB is only going to play the guys that he trusts. He knows who those guys are based on practice. It is not arbitrary. And he is not changing. He hates losing more than he likes winning. He is not going to risk losing in the now for some future benefit or player development.

To be crystal clear, I am not saying this is the way it should be done. Nor do I remotely think that JB is infallible. In fact, I think it's a mistake to manage a roster this way.

He is who he is. The guys he trusts most are going to continue to get 35+ minutes every night until his hand is forced.

JB is going to play the ones who give us a chance. Simple fact.
in addition JB has no long term view. he's ancient. he plays for the day. at his age he's not looking down the road. watching his boy play gives him brings him joy. why bench him ? let the next coach clean up the chaos.

(edit. looked up the national stats . elijah hughes is currently #2 by .1 minute. buddy b. is #29.)

Last edited:
We have a 44 year sample size that tells us that JB is only going to play the guys that he trusts. He knows who those guys are based on practice. It is not arbitrary. And he is not changing. He hates losing more than he likes winning. He is not going to risk losing in the now for some future benefit or player development.

To be crystal clear, I am not saying this is the way it should be done. Nor do I remotely think that JB is infallible. In fact, I think it's a mistake to manage a roster this way.

He is who he is. The guys he trusts most are going to continue to get 35+ minutes every night until his hand is forced.

The fact is we saw the man change JUST LAST YEAR! Buddy couldn't shoot at all the first half of the season, and we kept on going back to that well for another drink! We found a way!
He can change!
He did change!
#changeicanbelievein

I am more intrigued by the reserve front court guys than back court guys.

Edwards is weak, but I think he's a player. Obviously Guerrier needs time and Braswell can shoot it.

The fact is we saw the man change JUST LAST YEAR! Buddy couldn't shoot at all the first half of the season, and we kept on going back to that well for another drink! We found a way!
He can change!
He did change!
#changeicanbelievein
Fundamentally incorrect. JB kept going back to that "well" not because JB changed his philosophy. He did it because he trusted Buddy was a good shooter. Big difference.

The point of my previous was we were never in control of the game to the very end.
When we went to the bench at the end of the first half of the G-town game we went from down 2 to down 12 in 4 minutes, we lost the game by 10.

A bench take takes time to develop every year and NO coach is going to risk losing games to develop the bench that is what practice is for.

We need all the wins we can get at this point.

shahlalalal live for today . don't complicate your mind JB.

for you younger posters yes this was once considered " hip"

Last edited:
Not to interrupt the narrative but Washington hurt his knee and Carey his thumb. That only leaves Goodine and you could argue Eli. If you take two scholarship guards off most teams they would be left with two other guards playing the lions share of the minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom