Rotation | Syracusefan.com

Rotation

TBCuse11

Starter
dead horse, but... how on earth does Cooney never sit. He was about 7 for 25 today? G and Joseph up top (or Ron) with Chris, Roberson and Rak down low is far from a bad lineup. Trevor is not the bionic man, in fact he gets gassed almost every game. I know the apologists will come out, but he was a selfish player today and it as ugly.

I dont fully blame him, hes gassed by the 10 minute mark. Chris McC is an extreme talent and he gets no run. Jim is missing the ball on him, and that hasnt happened much if ever since he has been coach.

Can't compare Cooney and McC, totally different positions. I think that Roberson is playing much better than McCullough at this point. May not have the upside but his one year of experience is showing. Roberson is a monster on the boards. Offense needs work though.

dead horse, but... how on earth does Cooney never sit. He was about 7 for 25 today? G and Joseph up top (or Ron) with Chris, Roberson and Rak down low is far from a bad lineup. Trevor is not the bionic man, in fact he gets gassed almost every game. I know the apologists will come out, but he was a selfish player today and it as ugly.

I dont fully blame him, hes gassed by the 10 minute mark. Chris McC is an extreme talent and he gets no run. Jim is missing the ball on him, and that hasnt happened much if ever since he has been coach.
you really have to get another note. Cooney is the second best player on the team and he helps us in a lot of ways you obviously don't see.

Cooney did not play selfishly. He didn't finish very well at the rim today, but they were good looks. He took some threes that weren't necessarily the best looks, but they weren't bad either (every 3pt shooter does this).

4-13 from deep is 31%. One more attempt and make would put him at 36%, which is generally considered above the threshold for a good 3pt shooting performance.

Its fairly evident. He played the whole game. He was bent over in 2nd half grabbing shorts way too much yet again. He had what 14 pts and 3 3s in first half, 4 pts 1 3 in second half? Basically a mirror image of the villanova game where he played the whole game and we blew a big first half lead. I hope either RP or Kaleb can earn more pt because if not i fear the end of this season will be similar to the end of last season when TCs production dropped off huge at end of season .

you really have to get another note. Cooney is the second best player on the team and he helps us in a lot of ways you obviously don't see.
You are correct he is one of our all around best players (w Rak) but he still needs some rest or he will wear out and his stats will drop off much like they did at end of last season. All imho

I'd like to see Cooney get a breather here or there, but not due to lack of production. His overall game has been a lot better the past month or so. I just think the kid is being asked to do a bit too much. Is BJ that bad where he couldn't give him a few minute breather here or there?

I'd like to see Cooney get a breather here or there, but not due to lack of production. His overall game has been a lot better the past month or so. I just think the kid is being asked to do a bit too much. Is BJ that bad where he couldn't give him a few minute breather here or there?

I'd agree with this. This team is at it's best with Cooney on the floor, so he does need to play big minutes. Getting him a rest wouldn't kill us though either - when it's available due to score/situation.

Some of those threes in the first half were too deep and he missed all of those - but at this point I'm okay with those shots. Kid has been hitting of late, and we saw last year that he does have that kind of range. They seem a bit more like bad shots now that we only one by 2, but when he was taking them we were still building up that lead that reached 19 by half.

We had a big advantage on the boards seemingly - I can live with those in that situation.

He made a pretty nice pass to Roberson off the drive that put us back up four after tech cut it to two. Also the 6-21 today was not really any different than some of the games Gerry used to have.

McCullough was bad from the start today. He dropped two passes in the first ten minutes, and leaves to many guys open on defense.

Also, McCullough isn't a two guard. You wanted him in for Roberson, Gbinije or Roc today?

Cooney did not play selfishly. He didn't finish very well at the rim today, but they were good looks. He took some threes that weren't necessarily the best looks, but they weren't bad either (every 3pt shooter does this).

4-13 from deep is 31%. One more attempt and make would put him at 36%, which is generally considered above the threshold for a good 3pt shooting performance.

He started 3-6 and ended 1-7. He took a bunch of ill-advised attempts. Not sure what the deal was. Most egregious was late in the first half when McCullough had pinned the VT guard down low and Cooney chucks up a 27 footer. To add insult to injury, McCullough trips over Muller going for the long offensive board and gets called for a foul.

He started 3-6 and ended 1-7. He took a bunch of ill-advised attempts. Not sure what the deal was. Most egregious was late in the first half when McCullough had pinned the VT guard down low and Cooney chucks up a 27 footer. To add insult to injury, McCullough trips over Muller going for the long offensive board and gets called for a foul.

To be fair he did make two on blown whistles that didn't count, and had about two others in and out. His teacher on the bench had more than a handful of games like this in his career.

To be fair he did make two on blown whistles that didn't count, and had about two others in and out. His teacher on the bench had more than a handful of games like this in his career.

He's four years in the program now. I'd like to see him be a little smarter out there and know his role. I'm not so worried about the minutes. That's not going to change. There are few alternatives, to boot. But he's not the star of this team. He cannot carry this team. He's a complementary player. I think Williams understood this too, hence double- and triple-teaming Rak and take your chances with Cooney. But this team has other options and other guys we need to develop in order to reach our max potential. We will not win alot of ballgames with Cooney taking 21 shots. Let's not kid ourselves. This was an awful team with a good coach that we played today.

What does your point have to do with the fact Cooney should get a blow for a couple of minutes in the first half just to allow him to have more energy in the 2nd half. Obviously I don't see how this opinion is not fair. Of course your opinion is fine but your opinion is not any better than the one your are responding too. Discourse allows for different opinions. Cooney is our 2nd most important player but playing 40 minutes wears you down if it didn't more teams would play their best players 40 minutes.

Cooney has an eternal green light and the few minutes he sits I worry about the D and wonder how they will score.
That eternal green light got tired in the 2nd half. Why? Who knows but playing 40 minutes can wear yourself down. If you worry about our defense without Cooney in those few minutes that is nuts Patterson has shown he can play D and Gbinije can play up top as well.
Kaiser your smarter than this. Cooney needs a couple of minutes break in these games. In the Duke/Louisville/Virginia games fine you play him 40 minutes but not at VPI or Cornell.

That eternal green light got tired in the 2nd half. Why? Who knows but playing 40 minutes can wear yourself down. If you worry about our defense without Cooney in those few minutes that is nuts Patterson has shown he can play D and Gbinije can play up top as well.
Kaiser your smarter than this. Cooney needs a couple of minutes break in these games. In the Duke/Louisville/Virginia games fine you play him 40 minutes but not at VPI or Cornell.
vpi and Cornell he plays 38 to get ready for 40 v dook and ville.

Can Patterson play QB? Seen enough of him on the hardwood.

Another solution would be JB using timeouts during the game to give the players rest. I think JB uses his timeouts well when to stop momentum but using a TO in the 2nd half near a TV timeout could give Rak/Cooney more rest to have energy late in the game.

I agree with him getting a rest but I didn't see a 'selfish' player out there today. I think he took a couple of bad shots but that doesn't equate to being selfish.

Cooney hit TWO (2) threes that were waved off because of fouls off the ball. That would have made him 6-15 (40%).

"Maybe if I just beat this dead horse long enough, I can rekindle that point that's been thoroughly disproven the past month..."