Roy williams: most overrated coach | Syracusefan.com

Roy williams: most overrated coach

itsbotime said:
Roy has the best winning percentage of all active coaches and has 3 final fours and two titles in the last 8 years...if that makes him "overrated", overrated sounds pretty damn good.
You would too with all that talent. His players make him look better than he is. Why do you think they are all over the map this year with their play. No consistency whats so ever.

You would too with all that talent. His players make him look better than he is. Why do you think they are all over the map this year with their play. No consistency whats so ever.

Free throws, that's basically the only difference between 7-3 and undefeated. Missed 27 free throws against Texas tonight and lost by 3.

Losing a key player early can be a huge distraction. His team clawed back from being down 10 to tie it near the end. No win but cut the guy some slack for tough circumstances in what is still considered early in the season.

Lots of excuses but I think his record allows him better treatment than to say he's overrated.

Whatever I guess. Its not like he makes anyone's top 10 or even 50 list of X&O wizards. Recruiting is 95% of coaching in college. Always has been.

And they won games with the same stuffty ft %. They beat UK with 58% from the line.
Well it's obvious you don't like Roy Williams...in my opinion coaches can only do so much and it comes down to the players to execute...Roy might not be the best coach, but his programs win a lot.

CBSSports.com ran an anonymous quote with some of the coaches who were named to the list, and here’s the one about Williams: “He’s won at Kansas and UNC. But who couldn’t do that … besides Matt Doherty?”

Why isn't Coach K on this list? I mean, who can't win at Duke ... besides Neill McGeachy and Bucky Waters?

Roy has the best winning percentage of all active coaches and has 3 final fours and two titles in the last 8 years...if that makes him "overrated", overrated sounds pretty damn good.

he also only has 2 national titles. Should have more he got beat by Boeheim once in the title game, and once in the Elite 8 when he was a decent sized favorite with the more talented teams. I don't think anyone is going to mistake Williams for a coach genius

he also only has 2 national titles. Should have more he got beat by Boeheim once in the title game, and once in the Elite 8 when he was a decent sized favorite with the more talented teams. I don't think anyone is going to mistake Williams for a coach genius

I don't think that's fair. Lots of great coaches haven't sniffed a title and some overrated coaches have managed to get one. Criticisms here of Roy remind me too much of the criticisms of JB. While I have hated a lot of his players, his teams play an exciting brand of basketball and I've always found there are far more offensive coaches than Roy.

I don't think that's fair. Lots of great coaches haven't sniffed a title and some overrated coaches have managed to get one. Criticisms here of Roy remind me too much of the criticisms of JB. While I have hated a lot of his players, his teams play an exciting brand of basketball and I've always found there are far more offensive coaches than Roy.

I just always thought his teams are bad defensively. He wins when he has the players who can score, and when he doesn't have the players he has seasons like 2010, and what it's looking like last year. Obviously it's not hard to recruit to UNC, but their program seems to go by the talent they currently have. Of all the sports imo cbb is the easiest to win at with average talent

I have no idea what qualifies a coach as being overrated. I guess by the OP's criteria Dean Smith was overrated? Well hell, maybe Jim Boeheim? Whatever.

Roy seems like a good guy and is an excellent recruiter. His record at Carolina has been damn good. Neither team appeared to play much defense tonight. It's a long way to the tournament and most teams including ours will have their ups and downs. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how the team performs during the tournament. Loses during the season only impact seeding.

For some reason I always thought that Roy looks a lot like Tim Conway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom