Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis

Is the chance that this is an April Fools Joke absolute zero or just slightly higher than zero?

Going to be a lot of turnover in the coaching department in the ACC soon enough and Williams was the 1st Domino to fall but he is a great coach had a great career and I hope he enjoys his retirement to the fullest.
One thing I will say about Roy Williams is that he knows when it's time hang it up. I am not so sure about JB but we shall see. Like I've said before not rushing him out the door but 1 or 2 more years I think it's time for some new blood, young blood in here to kind of be in tune with the kids,, more relatable with the young kids n what's going on nowadays

I’m not worried about Louisville. Mack isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire there.
I know, right. He just fired two of his assistants.

Could you imagine how powerful that conversation in a kitchen would be with Etan and a player/family? I don’t know how a kid could say no.
I’ve been thinking about Etan more and more as a possibility. But he has no coaching experience, right? Juwan, Ewing and Stackhouse all served their time as pro assistants.

Let's be honest. This gives UNC a clear advantage and head start vs Duke and SU in the challenge to replace a legend.

Honestly way more than the ongoing dead horse over how we feel about JBs last 6 and next whatever amount of years to me is the concern about the race for what comes next. Louisville and UNC now will lead the pack behind UVA who was ahead anyways. Duke, SU and FSU are up.
It’s a race?

This is one of a very select number of schools that could legitimately have such a list in my opinion.

If you know anything about those coaches you know they aren't going there.

I’ve been thinking about Etan more and more as a possibility. But he has no coaching experience, right? Juwan, Ewing and Stackhouse all served their time as pro assistants.
I know he coaches his sons AAU team but I believe that’s the extent of it. If this were a realistic possibility a former head coach would be nice to have on the bench with him.

It’s a race?

No it's not a race. The point is all programs will have to reset to some extent. So UNC gets a head start on that reset, gets the first year lumps out of the way after the end of Roy struggles. They will be past that point whenever we get there.

If you know anything about those coaches you know they aren't going there.

It’s a phenomenal job amd I don’t think any one of us know what really guides decisions (though Few will be Gonzaga’s Boeheim.)

Here are the odds.

a SportsLine oddsmakers: Who will be the next North Carolina basketball coach?

Hubert Davis Even
Wes Miller +200
Jerry Stackhouse +700
Tony Bennett +900
Jay Wright +1200
Nate Oats +1400
Scott Drew +1500
Steve Robinson +1800
Bill Self +2500
Brad Stevens +3000

I would be so on board with that.
You want someone who has never been a coach (let alone a head coach) at ANY level to be the Head Coach at Syracuse?

i dont know what to tell you.gif

Speculation here in Tar Heel country is there may be, unfortunately, a health component to all this. Either with Roy or a family member, maybe the wife.
A couple of weeks ago there was talk about how motivated Roy was to come back & kick ass next year, and then this sudden, abrupt, departure?
Hopefully it’s not the case. I’ve always thought he was one of the greatest coaches ever, & like others have said, never understood the grief that a lot of our fans threw at him.
More speculation down here in NC

Prior to today's news, there had been a growing internal expectation of staff changes on the Carolina bench regarding assistant coaches, but we can confirm through multiple sources that the players leaving and returning to Chapel Hill did not know about Williams's retirement until 10 a.m.Multiple sources familiar with the meeting said it was, as expected, an emotional one. Williams conveyed to the team his disappointment with his performance as head coach the last two seasons, and told them he was no longer up for the job.

You want someone who has never been a coach (let alone a head coach) at ANY level to be the Head Coach at Syracuse?

View attachment 199215

He would get us big time players just by name alone. Just have a strong coaching staff around him. Steve Nash never coached before and he is the Brooklyn Nets head coach in the NBA.

More speculation down here in NC

Prior to today's news, there had been a growing internal expectation of staff changes on the Carolina bench regarding assistant coaches, but we can confirm through multiple sources that the players leaving and returning to Chapel Hill did not know about Williams's retirement until 10 a.m.Multiple sources familiar with the meeting said it was, as expected, an emotional one. Williams conveyed to the team his disappointment with his performance as head coach the last two seasons, and told them he was no longer up for the job.
That makes me a bit sad. And I've been unnecessarily harsh on Roy over the years. Hope he's okay.

Speculation here in Tar Heel country is there may be, unfortunately, a health component to all this. Either with Roy or a family member, maybe the wife.
A couple of weeks ago there was talk about how motivated Roy was to come back & kick ass next year, and then this sudden, abrupt, departure?
Hopefully it’s not the case. I’ve always thought he was one of the greatest coaches ever, & like others have said, never understood the grief that a lot of our fans threw at him.
Yeah I speculated something similar. He hasn’t been well at times

I like him a lot.

SU fans always talked a lot of s--- and I never understood why. Seemed like a nice human being, coached a clean game, and was always a good quote.

It's a shame SU had such weak (and small) teams since joining the ACC, I always thought Boeheim had a great tactical advantage against Roy, but lately he hasn't had the personnel to get it done.

Anyway, sad day. A lame league gets a little less attractive with one fewer big-name coach.
Lately SU is 2-1

I know he coaches his sons AAU team but I believe that’s the extent of it. If this were a realistic possibility a former head coach would be nice to have on the bench with him.

he can be an assistant to the guy that takes over

Did anything I post not factual ?
Where to begin...

Ok, I'll play.

"He would get us big time players just by name alone." This is an opinion, not a fact. You should learn the difference between the two. And a name gets you in the door - it doesn't mean you will have to fight off the 5-stars with a stick because you only have 13 scholarships.

"Steve Nash never coached before and he is the Brooklyn Nets head coach in the NBA." This is, in fact, true. Good job. But again, it is an opinion, not a fact, that just because one person does it anyone can do it. And, the NCAA is not the NBA. Totally different animals.

"Just have a strong coaching staff around him." So, what's he going to do? Call a time out whenever he's unsure so he can ask his strong coaching staff their opinions?

I know you're totally on board with this, but I can guarantee you anyone who has an iota of knowledge about basketball would see disaster written all over this.

This will never happen.

Very no bueno for us if Bennett goes to UNC