Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis

If it’s going to be difficult for UNC to go outside the family it’s going to be difficult for us too. I hope our fans realize that.
Yep...will be interesting to see how this plays out. Very similar to what we will go through.

Where to begin...

Ok, I'll play.

"He would get us big time players just by name alone." This is an opinion, not a fact. You should learn the difference between the two. And a name gets you in the door - it doesn't mean you will have to fight off the 5-stars with a stick because you only have 13 scholarships.

"Steve Nash never coached before and he is the Brooklyn Nets head coach in the NBA." This is, in fact, true. Good job. But again, it is an opinion, not a fact, that just because one person does it anyone can do it. And, the NCAA is not the NBA. Totally different animals.

"Just have a strong coaching staff around him." So, what's he going to do? Call a time out whenever he's unsure so he can ask his strong coaching staff their opinions?

I know you're totally on board with this, but I can guarantee you anyone who has an iota of knowledge about basketball would see disaster written all over this.

This will never happen.

I’ll play too. Kevin Durant kyrie Irving James Harden Blake Griffin Lamarcus Aldridge Joe Harris Spencer Dinwiddie Deandre Jordan.

That’s a brutal team to coach to success. Wow huge challenge for nash

Was in the car and flipping thru radio stations. Landed on ESPN Extra. And who were they talking to about Roy Williams? Yep. Jim Boeheim.

Lately SU is 2-1
Clearly time to hang it up then when you start losing to a coach who's lost it as bad as JB. Right? Isn't that the prevailing narrative these days?

In all seriousness, it says alot about the state of the game that coaches like Roy would rather hang it up that deal with the changing landscape of college athletics. If they are giving up on the sport, why should we as fans not do the same?

Why? Instead of getting pummeled by 2 ACC schools it will only be 1 lol ( plus FSU)
With UNC’s resources I see that as 1 of maybe 5 schools where he could coach at an even higher level than now.

UVA would reload with another top calibre guy I’m sure

Lose 2 of 3 to JB, and quits. :)

TBH, I loved watching his teams run the primary, secondary and tertiary breaks. He will be missed.

Last edited:
More speculation down here in NC

Prior to today's news, there had been a growing internal expectation of staff changes on the Carolina bench regarding assistant coaches, but we can confirm through multiple sources that the players leaving and returning to Chapel Hill did not know about Williams's retirement until 10 a.m.Multiple sources familiar with the meeting said it was, as expected, an emotional one. Williams conveyed to the team his disappointment with his performance as head coach the last two seasons, and told them he was no longer up for the job.
"Up for" and "up to" are 2 entirely different things. Which is it?

The first hire will be tough. The second one easier. They’re UNC. They’re one of the four best jobs in college basketball. They’ll be fine.

Yeah eventually they will be fine but UNC more than any other program (besides ours lol) is obsessed with keeping it in the family. I wonder how long that’s going to hold them back.

I’ve been thinking about Etan more and more as a possibility. But he has no coaching experience, right? Juwan, Ewing and Stackhouse all served their time as pro assistants.
Etan has never coached. Like all of us on a message board or anyone who even played, it’s much easier being a critic of coaches when you’ve never even coached.