Roy Williams to face NCAA COI... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams to face NCAA COI...

"The issues at the heart of this case are clearly the NCAA's business. When a member institution
allows an academic department to provide benefits to student-athletes that are materially different from
the general student body, it is the NCAA's business. When athletics academic counselors exploit
"special arrangement" classes for student-athletes in ways unintended by and contrary to the bylaws,
it is the NCAA's business. When a member institution provides student-athletes an inside track to enroll
in unpublicized courses where grades of As and Bs are the norm,1 it is the NCAA's business. When a
member institution uses "special arrangement" courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes
eligible, it is the NCAA's business.
When a member institution fails or refuses to take action after
receiving actual notice of problems involving student-athletes, thereby allowing violations to
compound and to continue for years, it is the NCAA's business. In sum, it is an NCAA matter when
other member schools who choose not to provide impermissible benefits are disadvantaged by their
commitment to compliance."

Great to see them take this interpretation -- frankly, it was baffling why they wouldn't.

The highlighted parts above are light years away from the "not in our wheelhouse" see no evil / hear no evil / speak no evil sentiment expressed by Mark Emmert.

Given the Enforcement committee's reply on 7/17 (?) to UNC response, the NCAA's strong stance on "this absolutely is our business!" and the NCAA's belief that UNC could have "corrected" this in 2015, anyone who thinks UNC will not get hammered hasn't been paying attention.

Short of the death penalty (which won't happen), I wouldn't be surprised if UNC's penalty is unprecedented.

If this doesn't amount to a death penalty what does? Shouldn't every team that used this to keep players eligible be completely shut down for a couple of years? Shouldn't every person in the athletic department that knew about this get a show cause? Shouldn't these programs have a long probationary period when they are allowed to start back up? Shouldn't they be penalized with limited scholarships for a long period since they enjoyed an unfair advantage over their fellow member schools for such a long period?

I mean when you look at the scope and length of this its hard to think of enough penalties.

Great to see them take this interpretation -- frankly, it was baffling why they wouldn't.

The highlighted parts above are light years away from the "not in our wheelhouse" see no evil / hear no evil / speak no evil sentiment expressed by Mark Emmert.

I don't think they would have if the folks like us didn't keep it on the front burner. Nobody or few complained, they would skate.

If this doesn't amount to a death penalty what does? Shouldn't every team that used this to keep players eligible be completely shut down for a couple of years? Shouldn't every person in the athletic department that knew about this get a show cause? Shouldn't these programs have a long probationary period when they are allowed to start back up? Shouldn't they be penalized with limited scholarships for a long period since they enjoyed an unfair advantage over their fellow member schools for such a long period?

I mean when you look at the scope and length of this its hard to think of enough penalties.

I hear you. To be clear, I am not suggesting this does or does not deserve the death penalty. I am saying that I don't think that will be the outcome. But, I do think the penalties will be severe and will exceed anything we've seen in a long time.

I hear you. To be clear, I am not suggesting this does or does not deserve the death penalty. I am saying that I don't think that will be the outcome. But, I do think the penalties will be severe and will exceed anything we've seen in a long time.
The outcome is going to be severe. It will NOT be the death penalty. They will be vacating championships though. And Roy is going down.

The outcome is going to be severe. It will NOT be the death penalty. They will be vacating championships though. And Roy is going down.
I agree, but will they take wins away from Dean Smith?

They will be vacating ALL wins that involved athletes in ANY sport who were enrolled in those classes, including championships.

They will be vacating ALL wins that involved athletes in ANY sport who were enrolled in those classes, including championships.
And we are talking 18 years, right? If so, we should be passing them in all time wins.

And we are talking 18 years, right? If so, we should be passing them in all time wins.

"In a 2014 investigation, former U.S. Justice Department official Kenneth Wainstein estimated more than 3,100 students were affected between 1993 and 2011. He estimated athletes made up roughly half the enrollments, though UNC has argued Wainstein counted athletes who no longer were members of a sports team when they took the course."

The NCAA first filed notice of charges in 2015.

NCAA says
nuh_uh_conan_obrien.gif

^^^^^This. A poster on our board says nearly every school and athletic department administrator at a variety of schools he's spoken with for work says the NCAA has to drop the hammer on UNC-CHeat or there will be chaos.

^^^^^This. A poster on our board says nearly every school and athletic department administrator at a variety of schools he's spoken with for work says the NCAA has to drop the hammer on UNC-CHeat or there will be chaos.

That makes a lot of sense. If they slap UNC on the wrist after such transgressions, then it invalidates all precedent and scale of penalties that came before this -- and other institutions [both those that have been punished and those who've followed the rules] would deserve to be furious.

Most posters here following the story [other than the UNC rationalizer who fervently posted about the topic over the past year] recognized that based upon order of magnitude, UNC deserved more severe penalties than anything seen before -- but many were also skeptical of the NCAA's resolve to drop the hammer on a blue blood.

Doesn't sound that implausible anymore.

That makes a lot of sense. If they slap UNC on the wrist after such transgressions, then it invalidates all precedent and scale of penalties that came before this -- and other institutions [both those that have been punished and those who've followed the rules] would deserve to be furious.

Most posters here following the story [other than the UNC rationalizer who fervently posted about the topic over the past year] recognized that based upon order of magnitude, UNC deserved more severe penalties than anything seen before -- but many were also skeptical of the NCAA's resolve to drop the hammer on a blue blood.

Doesn't sound that implausible anymore.
I always laugh at the "blue blood" argument. If the NCAA follows Sun Tzu, cracking down hard on a "blue blood" makes everyone that much more conscious of complying. "If they're willing to smash them, what would they do to me?"

Yeah and Roy will be spending a year away...

It looks and sounds bad for UNC but I will believe it when I see it regarding the NCAA and UNC...
I agree - football and women's hoop and a bunch of other sports with no identity will take the gutting. NCAA is not taking down carolina hoops or Dean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom