Roy Williams to face NCAA COI... | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams to face NCAA COI...

tumblr_n3xi1c6MzA1sg09ifo1_500.gif

I was in attendance at a Carolina practice run by an assistant coach prior to the date official practices could start. Wife and I were only folks there and were told to leave. Feel I should drop a dime.

Last edited:
I was in attendance at a Carolina practice run by an assistant coach prior to the date official practices could start. Wife and I were only folks there and were told to leave. Feel I should drop a dime.
That's the "Carolina Way".

I predict he will cry in his post interview. Any punishment handed down by the NCAA no matter how small will be unjust in his mind.
You have a lot of nerve, 'shaming' other coaches. ;)

That wasn't an assistant coach. It was the "ethics" professor.

I'm surprised this NCAA response has not generated more buzz - on this board or nationally. This is devastating for UNC.

For those of you haven't followed the scandal closely, UNC is not disputing the fact that their athletes benefited from academic fraud. Their argument is basically that its not the NCAA's business. Yesterday the NCAA responded to that argument:

"The issues at the heart of this case are clearly the NCAA's business. When a member institution
allows an academic department to provide benefits to student-athletes that are materially different from
the general student body, it is the NCAA's business. When athletics academic counselors exploit
"special arrangement" classes for student-athletes in ways unintended by and contrary to the bylaws,
it is the NCAA's business. When a member institution provides student-athletes an inside track to enroll
in unpublicized courses where grades of As and Bs are the norm,1 it is the NCAA's business. When a
member institution uses "special arrangement" courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes
eligible, it is the NCAA's business. When a member institution fails or refuses to take action after
receiving actual notice of problems involving student-athletes, thereby allowing violations to
compound and to continue for years, it is the NCAA's business. In sum, it is an NCAA matter when
other member schools who choose not to provide impermissible benefits are disadvantaged by their
commitment to compliance."

I'm surprised this NCAA response has not generated more buzz - on this board or nationally. This is devastating for UNC.

For those of you haven't followed the scandal closely, UNC is not disputing the fact that their athletes benefited from academic fraud. Their argument is basically that its not the NCAA's business. Yesterday the NCAA responded to that argument:

"The issues at the heart of this case are clearly the NCAA's business. When a member institution
allows an academic department to provide benefits to student-athletes that are materially different from
the general student body, it is the NCAA's business. When athletics academic counselors exploit
"special arrangement" classes for student-athletes in ways unintended by and contrary to the bylaws,
it is the NCAA's business. When a member institution provides student-athletes an inside track to enroll
in unpublicized courses where grades of As and Bs are the norm,1 it is the NCAA's business. When a
member institution uses "special arrangement" courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes
eligible, it is the NCAA's business. When a member institution fails or refuses to take action after
receiving actual notice of problems involving student-athletes, thereby allowing violations to
compound and to continue for years, it is the NCAA's business. In sum, it is an NCAA matter when
other member schools who choose not to provide impermissible benefits are disadvantaged by their
commitment to compliance."

Holy Shish Kabab's Batman!! Going by that UNC could really get hammered. The two damning point I see by the NCAA is that they used these to keep athletes eligible (in other words loads of ineligible athletes) and they knew about it and there is some record or testimony of it being brought to their attention but they did nothing and continued on.

You need to go to the archives if you think this didn't generate conversation on this board.

Yes, I realize the UNC investigation has generated alot of conversation on this board. But I was referring specifically to yesterday's NCAA response. Its a game changer. Worth the read for those who haven't. The NCAA is pissed. UNC is not going to skate, as many of us had feared.

Yes, I realize the UNC investigation has generated alot of conversation on this board. But I was referring specifically to yesterday's NCAA response. Its a game changer. Worth the read for those who haven't. The NCAA is pissed. UNC is not going to skate, as many of us had feared.

The only question is how much? This is much worse than what happened here. They had a systemic process for cheating. We had "incidents". To me this is at minimum a 3 year ban, a year suspension for Roy, Titles from 05 and 09 taken away, and a lost of 4-5 scholarships per year. That's at minimum. I really think they deserve at least a 5 year ban, but it'll never get to that.

Yup.

If I were a fan or alum of UNC, I would brace for impact.

This is not going to be a fender-bender.

Given the Enforcement committee's reply on 7/17 (?) to UNC response, the NCAA's strong stance on "this absolutely is our business!" and the NCAA's belief that UNC could have "corrected" this in 2015, anyone who thinks UNC will not get hammered hasn't been paying attention.

Short of the death penalty (which won't happen), I wouldn't be surprised if UNC's penalty is unprecedented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom