Roy Williams to face NCAA COI... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams to face NCAA COI...

file under: Will Believe When Seen.

(and I do find humorous the faith expressed by some here in the Cartel to do the right thing)

I understand this sentiment completely. But, the NCAA has been posturing aggressively on this one given all the push back from UNC publicly. It sounds like they think they gave them a chance to float in 2015.

Hammer is coming

I understand this sentiment completely. But, the NCAA has been posturing aggressively on this one given all the push back from UNC publicly. It sounds like they think they gave them a chance to float in 2015.

Hammer is coming
He wasn't personally named, the MBB program was. I think UNC as a whole will receive significant punishment, in some way, shape or form, but I'm not confident the individual punishments will be as clear cut.

If you have time, this is a very great read:

I find this amazing. Student athletes on a Sixty Minutes report I viewed almost a year ago about the information detailed below had Dr. Seuss books under their beds to try and learn how to read. Finally, I hope, UNC will be brought to justice for using and ruining athlete’s lives. What once was a proud, yet very naïve UNC FB player, is now a janitor eeking out a living for he and his family – amazing how they got away with it for so long yet not UNC specific IMO. I wonder how many chancellors are on the phone to all athletic departments making sure their school does not get caught!

UNC Now
Your place for the latest news and observations on Tar Heel sports
UNC Now
At last, UNC has its date with the NCAA Committee on Infractions
By Andrew Carter
acarter@newsobserver.com

July 25, 2017 2:53 PM

University Chancellor Carol Folt will attend the hearing, as will Bubba Cunningham, the athletic director. The NCAA has requested that men’s basketball coach Roy Williams, football coach Larry Fedora and women’s basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell also attend.

At its crux, the debate between UNC and the NCAA is over how much authority, if any, the NCAA has over the kind of malfeasance that played out at the university for nearly 20 years. Between 1993 and 2011, UNC athletes enrolled in disproportionate numbers in the bogus African Studies classes, ones that UNC’s accrediting agency concluded lacked integrity.

The accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, also found that the classes violated six of its other principles, including ones related to academic support and control over intercollegiate athletics. While UNC accepted SACS’ findings, the university has bristled at the NCAA’s involvement in the case.

Several university-commissioned investigations found that the classes, many of which were lecture courses that instead became independent studies, featured little to no instruction and required only an end-of-semester paper that generally received a high grade regardless of its quality.

Men’s basketball and football players, especially, filled the classes in large numbers, leading to the suspicion that they relied on the classes, and their substandard requirements, to maintain their eligibility. According to evidence used by Kenneth Wainstein in his 2014 report, one former academic counselor for UNC’s football team described athletes’ participation in the classes like this:

“They didn’t go to class … they didn’t have to take notes, have to stay awake … they didn’t have to meet with professors … they didn’t have to pay attention or necessarily engage with the material.”

That, according to Wainstein, a former federal prosecutor, was part of a presentation that the counselor gave to the football coaching staff in 2009, just before Deborah Crowder’s retirement. Crowder, the longtime administrative assistant in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, played a central role in scheduling and grading the classes.

The NCAA charged her and Julius Nyang’oro, the former department chairman, with unethical conduct. Crowder in an April interview with NCAA officials denied wrongdoing, while Nyang’oro has refused to speak with the NCAA.

In the three NOAs it delivered to UNC, meanwhile, the NCAA Enforcement Staff has attempted to target the bogus classes in different ways. Complicating the matter is the fact that the classes do not fit the NCAA’s standard definition of academic fraud.

The NCAA, then, has been left to attempt to apply other rules to the case. In the third NOA, which UNC received in December, the NCAA alleged that Nyang’oro and Crowder violated “principles of extra-benefit legislation” in relation to the classes. The NCAA alleged that Nyang’oro and Crowder “worked closely and directly with athletics” to create a scheme in which athletes benefited from lax coursework and grading standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the local affiliate reported the NCAA requested them, but it doesn't matter it's just parsing hairs.

Pretty sure the local affiliate reported the NCAA requested them, but it doesn't matter it's just parsing hairs.

There is no debating whether was requested to attend. He was. You posted

If he wasn't named, he wouldn't have been told to show up.

He is being requested to "show up" because his program was referenced in the charges by the NCAA. He was not named specifically in the 5 level I violations.

There is no debating whether was requested to attend. He was. You posted

He is being requested to "show up" because his program was referenced in the charges by the NCAA. He was not named specifically in the 5 level I violations.

I misunderstood what you were saying. No worries.

Reactions: 007
UNC and the NCAA are both so dug in on this fight. This won't end with the NCAA ruling. Given that Carolina's defense is that the NCAA lacks authority to punish their member schools on academic issues, they will sue the NCAA. The case will decide the future of the NCAA - or any body to enforce compliance in collegiate sports.

The whole argument that it was equally available to all was false. If that was the case it would not be so highly proportioned with athletes.

I would guess that a majority of students (even serious ones) will look to take a bird course once or twice throughout university to help them focus on core courses.

Basically the options here are.

1. UNC bball cheated for many years and should have their banners stripped going back two decades.

OR

2. UNC offered joke classes to it's entire student body so it's not a violation, it just makes UNC a glorified community college.

I don't see another option.

Basically the options here are.

1. UNC bball cheated for many years and should have their banners stripped going back two decades.

OR

2. UNC offered joke classes to it's entire student body so it's not a violation, it just makes UNC a glorified community college.

I don't see another option.

Loss of accreditation? I don't think that will happen but it should be on the table if number 2 is their defense.

Loss of accreditation? I don't think that will happen but it should be on the table if number 2 is their defense.
They have already completed their 1-year probation from SACS, the accrediting organization for the South.

They have already completed their 1-year probation from SACS, the accrediting organization for the South.

I don't know how all of that stuff works but it seems to be a premature punishment. And a very light one.

Gosh dang jolly creepers son of a gun holly buckets gee willipers im dag gun cornnnnnfused as to what the gillipees issya is.

Yup.

If I were a fan or alum of UNC, I would brace for impact.

This is not going to be a fender-bender.
Nope, and "eligibility" is code for vacating wins. After 18 years ... lots of trophies might be going up on E-Bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom