RPI | Syracusefan.com

RPI

Orangezoo

In the wind
Per real time RPI we sit at #12 and with our next two non conference opponents in the 70s and 50s, it puts us in a great spot if we win both heading in to ACC play. The loss knocked the hoyas back to 211...

Ken Pom we sit at 52..

BPI we sit at 62...

Funny how both of the last two we looked pretty solid last year and it meant squat.

Really? I thought KenPom had us in the 60s the last week or so before Selection Sunday last season. Totally could be wrong about that.

Really? I thought KenPom had us in the 60s the last week or so before Selection Sunday last season. Totally could be wrong about that.

You could be right on Ken Pom. I just recall us being in the 30s in BPI at least and Ken Pom has bias towards offensive . Which we ran rather high on last year.

Edit..
We did finish at 55 last year in Ken Pom but I could swear we were in the 30s and 40s for a good chunk of time..

Nice. That is a good bump from KenPom after the GTown win. We were 60-something before I think.

Did I read the KP factors in last season for the first fifteen games? At some point we should take a big jump if that’s true.

12 in Palm/CBSSports also.

G'town 217.

While Gtown winning would have brought them down.. RPI wise yesterday would have been a serious low blow for us and a bad loss needing the hoyas to do a lot of damage in the BE.

The committee has de-emphasized RPI.
It is very easy to manipulate.
While having a good one is nice it doesn’t help at all.

At all? Then how do you explain last year when we had decent BPI numbers, competitive Ken Pom numbers and a garbage RPI? To say it means nothing is really speculative. They mentioned using more than just the RPI last year but I never recall it being eliminated from the equation or diluted to being nothing.

At all? Then how do you explain last year when we had decent BPI numbers, competitive Ken Pom numbers and a garbage RPI? To say it means nothing is really speculative. They mentioned using more than just the RPI last year but I never recall it being eliminated from the equation or diluted to being nothing.
We didn’t get in last year because we had absolutely no quality non conference wins and only 2 road conference wins.

We didn’t get in because of our road/neutral problem. The RPI was really high and we were still really close in.

We didn’t get in last year because we had absolutely no quality non conference wins and only 2 road conference wins.

We didn’t get in because of our road/neutral problem. The RPI was really high and we were still really close in.

I understand the factors but reality was RPI was the knife that finished us. You could argue us against the decisions of the last 4 in otherwise but all had a much better RPI than we did. To say it means absolutely nothing is just false.

A good road or neutral win needs a benchmark... Same for non conference. Can't pull a good win out unless there are numbers to justify its' quality.

I understand the factors but reality was RPI was the knife that finished us. You could argue us against the decisions of the last 4 in otherwise but all had a much better RPI than we did. To say it means absolutely nothing is just false.

A good road or neutral win needs a benchmark... Same for non conference. Can't pull a good win out unless there are numbers to justify its' quality.
The NCAA Is Modernizing The Way It Picks March Madness Teams

I will say RPI means more for the bubble than it does for seeding. They definitely de emphasized it for how to seed things out. Also, the other tools all carry their own bias including BPI even if it was friendly to us last year.

I knew exactly which article you were pointing to. My point was it still played a role antiquated or not. This was part fact part opinion. Until there is a consensus replacement, it is still part of the equation. This article doesn't change that. Also I don't disagree with it being old and flawed, that was never the point. If you have faith that anything tied to the NCAA could change for the good that quick, I commend you for your faith. Given how they have handled most everything else of late.. I don't share that belief.

The ESPN site has us with a projected year end BPI of 102 fwiw... 19-12 final record. ATM also a 4 seed and 15 on the seeding scale. That site is all over the place.

The ESPN site has us with a projected year end BPI of 102 fwiw... 19-12 final record. ATM also a 4 seed and 15 on the seeding scale. That site is all over the place.
their bpi metric is way out of whack right now at this point in season - I mean just look at some of the teams in its top-20 and top-50... just as the rpi is still out of whack as well - we're not the #12 team or even a top-20 team... nor should we be ranked outside the top 50 in any cumulative metric - somewhere 30-50 feels right for this team right now

edit: Sagarin has us at #39 and that seems just about right

Last edited:
Regardless if RPI, Georgetowns scheduling will kill them in March.

This isn't 1984 when everyone loaded up on cupcakes in pre-conference. There is an emphasis on challenging schedules by the committee.

They had one shot to impress...at home...and they failed the test.

They are going to be closer to the bubble than they thought (they're better than they thought), but they have no shot at getting in unless they have win some road conference games and finish around 12-6.

If not, the committee will make a point of leaving them out to teach Patrick a lesson.

God it's so nice (barring some catastrophe in our next few home games) to be able to ring in the New Year in the NCAA field. The last three seasons we were absolutely buried this time of year with RPI/BPI in the 150-200 range.

This isn't 1984 when everyone loaded up on cupcakes in pre-conference. There is an emphasis on challenging schedules by the committee.

They are going to be closer to the bubble than they thought (they're better than they thought), but they have no shot at getting in unless they have win some road conference games and finish around 12-6.

If not, the committee will make a point of leaving them out to teach Patrick a lesson.
yeah they're gonna have to make hay in the BE and I think inconsistent guard play and iffy defense will let them down - Govan should have a big year though

Patrick's learning a few lessons.

When the camera caught him after Dolezaj flew across the court to undercut a Hoya, only to have that inept Michael Stevens call a charge, Ewing looked like a guy longing for the predictable officiating of the NBA.

I knew exactly which article you were pointing to. My point was it still played a role antiquated or not. This was part fact part opinion. Until there is a consensus replacement, it is still part of the equation. This article doesn't change that. Also I don't disagree with it being old and flawed, that was never the point. If you have faith that anything tied to the NCAA could change for the good that quick, I commend you for your faith. Given how they have handled most everything else of late.. I don't share that belief.

It’s changed already, because If you remember people were screaming two years ago that we got in with the worst RPI ever two years ago and the media lost it. People on the board were shocked. Then USC broke our record last year. Your RPI can be games and go up if you lose. You actually need to beat teams