Rutgers Steve Pikiell | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Steve Pikiell

Historically, Rutgers can only win games at the RAC, so I support this just for the extra win each season.
We don’t play historical games anymore so your conclusion is silly. And wrong.

That’s because their Athletic department is a mess financially and has been overspending on football for years.
The Athletic department is recovering from decades of wanting to go "big time" without the necessary financial support or facilities, as well as an unrealistic mandate from the university president that they would be self-funded. Keep in mind that Rutgers did not even have a basketball practice facility until two years ago, and had to spend millions building one, as well. The first year they joined the Big Ten, the conference told them that they had to upgrade several athletics facilities to make them ready for broadcasts from the Big Ten Network. No other Big Ten school had to do this, and they also received a reduced payment from the conference when they first joined (per the Big Team Ten conference which required a phased share of profits when joining). The record-breaking billion dollar Big Time Ten Contract will help to ease the financial burden for Rutgers, as well as other conference members. You have to spend money to make money, as the saying goes, but the press has not shared that narrative because it doesn't sell papers.

While Syracuse basketball is not their usual dominant program and Rutgers is ranked again, I think that both teams would put on an entertaining, competitive basketball game at MSG where you "throw out the records." The annual game could be called "The Battle for New York City" with the winner getting their team color on the Empire State Building. Both fanbases travel very well, so the only disadvantage would be the likely astronomical ticket prices.

While there was pregame talk of a strong Michigan State turnout for the game on Saturday, as you can see below, Rutgers fans took over MSG. I would like to see an annual Rutgers/Syracuse matchup at the Garden. The atmosphere would be electric. What do you think?

View attachment 224846
Rutgers basketball has definitely been on an upward trend under Pikiell. The guy can coach up what he has. Not sure I want him as SU's next basketball coach but we could do worse.

Rutgers does not travel well. They never have and probably never will. I have been to my share of SU games at the RAC where SU fans completely overtook the arena. Having a decent showing at MSG is really not a big deal for a ranked school located 25-30 miles from MSG.

Rutgers basketball has definitely been on an upward trend under Pikiell. The guy can coach up what he has. Not sure I want him as SU's next basketball coach but we could do worse.

Rutgers does not travel well. They never have and probably never will. I have been to my share of SU games at the RAC where SU fans completely overtook the arena. Having a decent showing at MSG is really not a big deal for a ranked school located 25-30 miles from MSG.
I think if you are talking about the Rutgers basketball team of the past, you are correct. Since last year, the RAC has been sold out for almost every game, so there are very few seats for visiting fans. Rutgers fans have always been fair weather fans - when the team is good, like they are now, they pack the RAC and travel very well, and when a team is not good, there are lots of empty seats. This is what makes schools like Rutgers different from a fanbase like Nebraska, where the fans show up even if the team is bad.

Universities each have their own unique sports culture. Penn State has a rabid football fan base, but their basketball games have a hard time attracting fans, even when they have a winning record. Rutgers wrestling always is in the top five in NCAA attendance because New Jersey has such a strong wrestling culture. Rutgers soccer and lacrosse teams also have large followings. Rutgers Football fans are very fickle - but if we can get to a point where we are winning more than half our games, the fans will pack the stadium. Even though Rutgers has multiple sports teams ranked in the top 25 and some Big Ten championships the last two years, fans ultimately judge an athletics program by the success of its football program, which is still in a rebuild mode.

Rutgers has had a great turnaround in their bball program and ill give props where they’re due.

No I dont want their coach.

God I hate where our programs at.

Makes sense that you would rather play traditional Big East rivals. I get it. Rutgers never really had a connection with UConn or St. Johns, but I felt like there was some juice when they played Syracuse.
We have been miserable against ex Big East teams even Georgetown has gotten the better of us since we left that conference. Don't think we'd schedule a 1 off neutral site game with anyone but Uconn/Nova and I guess Georgetown where the series could get moved from the home arenas.

I do think we could play in one of the 2 day tournaments at Barclays or MSG where I guess its 2/3 chance we play each other. Or ACC/B1G challenge again.

Rutgers has had a great turnaround in their bball program and ill give props where they’re due.

With the exception of Georgetown who has at least won their conference and beaten us more than we have beat them since we left the ACC almost everyone from the OG Big East is in a better place than us.

Seton Hall - check
Providence - check
Rutgers - check
Nova - down this year and have issues but they have 2 titles to show for it
Uconn - check

Even Pitt is better than us this year and St Johns won head to head.

We're better than BC (and Georgetown) that is it.

Sucks.

Pikiell is a master program builder, so I don't think that's who Syracuse needs after Boeheim retires. You probably will get a coach from a high profile program or a successful young coach. The program has a history of success, so you need someone to take you back to where you used to be.

Pikiell is a master program builder, so I don't think that's who Syracuse needs after Boeheim retires. You probably will get a coach from a high profile program or a successful young coach. The program has a history of success, so you need someone to take you back to where you used to be.
We’ll get Red Autry because JB and others said so and unfortunately I dont think the powers that be are willing to put their jobs on the line to steer the program elsewhere.

We’re in an age of complacency, reminiscence and dangerous familiarity.

We all joke about SU getting Wright, Oats, Etc. but I have zero faith we commit to an outside hire. Zero.

It seems that whenever a leader hand picks their successor it never works. I would definitely go outside the program and get a guy like Oats who would bring new energy to the program. JB seems frustrated with the new world of NIL so you need to get someone who understands the new world of college athletics.

The Athletic department is recovering from decades of wanting to go "big time" without the necessary financial support or facilities, as well as an unrealistic mandate from the university president that they would be self-funded. Keep in mind that Rutgers did not even have a basketball practice facility until two years ago, and had to spend millions building one, as well. The first year they joined the Big Ten, the conference told them that they had to upgrade several athletics facilities to make them ready for broadcasts from the Big Ten Network. No other Big Ten school had to do this, and they also received a reduced payment from the conference when they first joined (per the Big Team Ten conference which required a phased share of profits when joining). The record-breaking billion dollar Big Time Ten Contract will help to ease the financial burden for Rutgers, as well as other conference members. You have to spend money to make money, as the saying goes, but the press has not shared that narrative because it doesn't sell papers.

Due to the loans that Rutgers has taken from the Big Ten, the date at which they get full BTN revenue keeps being pushed back. They were supposed to start getting full BTN revenue in either 2020-21 or 2021-22 IIRC, but it’s been pushed back to something ridiculous like 2029-30. Since I’m sure Rutgers will continue to take out even more loans from the Big Ten, I wouldn’t be surprised if they still haven’t received full BTN revenue 50 years from now.

Due to the loans that Rutgers has taken from the Big Ten, the date at which they get full BTN revenue keeps being pushed back. They were supposed to start getting full BTN revenue in either 2020-21 or 2021-22 IIRC, but it’s been pushed back to something ridiculous like 2029-30. Since I’m sure Rutgers will continue to take out even more loans from the Big Ten, I wouldn’t be surprised if they still haven’t received full BTN revenue 50 years from now.

See? That's just stupid talking.

Rutgers took loans to up their revenue from 2018-2020. So the repayment of the loans is spread out from 2021-2026 and lessens the payout in those years. But given how much we would be getting starting in 2021, the repayment is a small portion.

Here's a comparison of our distribution with and without the loans in 2018-2020:

IBvQp0X.jpg
uesfm11.jpg

And here's an estimated look at the numbers from 2018 onward with the loan repayment factored in. Now this was done a couple of years ago before the Big Ten signed their latest TV rights contracts, so the later numbers when those contracts kick in will be much higher.

bKbDuqB.jpg

While Syracuse basketball is not their usual dominant program and Rutgers is ranked again, I think that both teams would put on an entertaining, competitive basketball game at MSG where you "throw out the records." The annual game could be called "The Battle for New York City" with the winner getting their team color on the Empire State Building. Both fanbases travel very well, so the only disadvantage would be the likely astronomical ticket prices.

While there was pregame talk of a strong Michigan State turnout for the game on Saturday, as you can see below, Rutgers fans took over MSG. I would like to see an annual Rutgers/Syracuse matchup at the Garden. The atmosphere would be electric. What do you think?

View attachment 224846
We should not legitimize them by making such a game seem special to SU.

he is much more than program builder-----he would be excellent at syracuse. we will never get him---rutgers locked him up ---our loss

he is much more than program builder-----he would be excellent at syracuse. we will never get him---rutgers locked him up ---our loss
Not that we’d ever want him, but I doubt anyone is ever “locked up” at Rutgers. Even schiano had to fail at the next level and be HC offer-less for 6 years to go back.

Makes sense that you would rather play traditional Big East rivals. I get it. Rutgers never really had a connection with UConn or St. Johns, but I felt like there was some juice when they played Syracuse.
Sir, please. Rutgers was stomped, again and again. I'm about to lose my mind when Rutgers fans are out here saying we're rivals

Sir, please. Rutgers was stomped, again and again. I'm about to lose my mind when Rutgers fans are out here saying we're rivals
I think that this would be a good series that both teams would look forward to each year. Rutgers looks like it's heading to its third straight NCAA tournament and has impressive recruits coming in. They are tied for third in the Big Ten right now, and were in second place in the conference and ranked in the top 25 twice this year. I think that an annual game at The Garden would be awesome, and would help Syracuse restore some fan interest in New York City that was lost after leaving the Big East. Just my 2 cents.

It seems that whenever a leader hand picks their successor it never works. I would definitely go outside the program and get a guy like Oats who would bring new energy to the program. JB seems frustrated with the new world of NIL so you need to get someone who understands the new world of college athletics.
Nate Oats will never come to Syracuse. Why would he? He has the number one ranked team in the country and he’s in the SEC. They have fantastic boosters. Why would he give all of that up to come to Syracuse. The only chance Syracuse ever had to get Nate Oats would have been directly from Buffalo.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom