rutgers will be an interesting test | Syracusefan.com

rutgers will be an interesting test

upperdeck

Living Legend
Watched most of their game yesterday. Shiano is not a great coach for many parts of the game. But he gets his teams to play with realy high energy, they attack on D, and they sell out for special teams.

they won the game yesterday with the Turnover battle, even if most of them were gifts. They almost blocked 2-3 punts, they had a safety and a huge runback.

They are faster than Ohio for sure. The QB is just avg but they will take a lot of shots so the safeties better be ready.

We better have a scheme to handle the pressure, they wont be sitting back

Temple is awful and still hung around, but big plays and turnovers blew it open mid 2nd half. 6 scoring drives of 20+yds will add up to alot of pts.

We need to not throw the game away on mistakes.

With a freshman punter you can be sure they’ll be bringing all the pressure. I’m sure on D that will be true as well.

I think if we game plan to be blitzed we could have some big plays on offense. I’m not always convinced the staff game plans knowing what the opposing D will do nor do they always make great in game adjustments. That’s probably my biggest concern.

I can live with a loss if it's a hard and well fought game. Sorta feels like opening a new building; plus, 2 years with no fans.
Laying an egg would be a crippling blow to this program and its fans, can't let that happen.

Last edited:
This is what we know: Schiano can't win playing straight up football so he's going to gimmick the crap out of everything and hope enough of it works.

That crap works better at home than on the road. Early momentum will be critical.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Shrader check in, and his first pass attempt is a throw away knocking the Scarlet Knight mascot off its horse on the sideline.

This is what we know: Schiano can't win playing straight up football so he's going to gimmick the crap out of everything and hope enough of it works.

That crap works better at home than on the road. Early momentum will be critical.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Shrader check in, and his first pass attempt is a throw away knocking the Scarlet Knight mascot off its horse on the sideline.
I think he threw a lot of his "bag of tricks" at Temple, whereas we didn't have to show a lot as our run game was enough. I think this works to our advantage...plus, to your point, this game is being played in Our House, and with a decent crowd and hype, that's to our advantage as well.

So a couple of thoughts. We saw Mang acting like a beast yesterday. If he even remotely has catching ability, if he can quickly stick and release we can burn Rutgers a few times which would slow down the blitz.
2nd we get Elmore back which should also help on blitz pickup, now that we have a P5 oline. Lutz also becomes an asset as he is plus blitz pickup and can quick release of pickup for dump offs from the QB.
Lastly TD showing his RPO readd/decions were pretty good is certainly a positive. I think Shrader can/will get reps next week as well.

game will be played at much more pace.. rutgers does not do long sustained drives they are turnover scoring and big play team.. probably 5-7 more possessions at that pace.

So a couple of thoughts. We saw Mang acting like a beast yesterday. If he even remotely has catching ability, if he can quickly stick and release we can burn Rutgers a few times which would slow down the blitz.
2nd we get Elmore back which should also help on blitz pickup, now that we have a P5 oline. Lutz also becomes an asset as he is plus blitz pickup and can quick release of pickup for dump offs from the QB.
Lastly TD showing his RPO readd/decions were pretty good is certainly a positive. I think Shrader can/will get reps next week as well.
How sure are people on Elmore playing next week

Agreed. But he probably doesn't believe that Tommy can beat them throwing the ball, so they are going to err on the side of bringing all out pressure to try to disrupt things.

We need to be able to block effectively, gouge them with runs, and make them pay when they sell out to rush the passer by hitting quick completions that burn them.

Would love to tack 200 yards rushing on those fools, too. As stated in the OP, this is going to be an interesting measuring stick. Glad we're playing these f***s at home.

Agreed. But he probably doesn't believe that Tommy can beat them throwing the ball, so they are going to err on the side of bringing all out pressure to try to disrupt things.

We need to be able to block effectively, gouge them with runs, and make them pay when they sell out to rush the passer by hitting quick completions that burn them.

Would love to tack 200 yards rushing on those fools, too. As stated in the OP, this is going to be an interesting measuring stick. Glad we're playing these f***s at home.
they bring 5-6-7 almost every play.. we need to pop a few thru the hole to slow that down.

they bring 5-6-7 almost every play.. we need to pop a few thru the hole to slow that down.
Tunnel screens to the perimeter will punish over aggressive defenses like that.
Teams used to do that against Shafer defenses because they knew were blitzing every 3rd and long.
We need to use screens against Rutgers.
Work on them hard this week have them ready.
That slows down over aggressive defenses.

I am encouraged about this game after seeing the quick decisions TD made yesterday. He showed some instincts and most of the decisions he made were solid. However, if we happen to get blown out in this game, then its time to take that dumpster fire thread down.

Maybe he has a thing for Tortora? Or grapefruit squirted into his eye?

FDE4390F-084B-493F-9AF2-7A64D592168E.gif

I am encouraged about this game after seeing the quick decisions TD made yesterday. He showed some instincts and most of the decisions he made were solid. However, if we happen to get blown out in this game, then its time to take that dumpster fire thread down.
Ha! No. It’s a perfect time capsule of the last bunch of years of ineptitude in more than just on the field. If they win, that won’t cease to be true and I highly, highly doubt they’ll be less of a flaming dumpster fire into the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom